Acting Wars: Who has the most credits?

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 06:34 pm
I was researching a John Wayne movie the other day on IMDB and noted that The Duke's page there lists an incredible 222 acting credits. Now granted, some of them are TV appearances and retrospectives, but assuming that IMDB tries to be pretty consistent about that sort of thing, I have to wonder if anyone has more. So, is anyone up for a challenge? Who can find the actor/actress with the greatest number of acting credits in the Internet Movie DataBase (IMDB)?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 8,460 • Replies: 22
No top replies

fbaezer

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 07:12 pm
Oliver Hardy has 439 acting credits in IMDB.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 07:26 pm
Great idea!
0 Replies

Tim King

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 10:03 pm
Thanks, Larry. Okay, fbaezer sets a new bar at 439 credits for Oliver Hardy. Should prove tough to beat. Can anybody do better than that?
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 10:50 pm
I'm trying. Are we just using the number of credits under "Actor - Filmography" or do we add it together with "Notable TV Guest Appearances?"
0 Replies

Tim King

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2003 06:07 pm
Just use the number of credits under Actor - Filmography. That's what I used for the Duke and I'm guessing fbaezer did the same with Oliver.

Speaking of "Oliver", that gives me an idea.
0 Replies

Tim King

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2003 06:13 pm
Drat...thought Olivier may have done a lot more film work, but he's barely over 100 credits. And I checked Walter Brennan too and he's at 216. Nowhere near Hardy.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2003 09:45 pm
Best I've done so far

Mack Sennett had 297 as an Actor, 527 Producer credits, and 332 as Director. Either he or Griffith must have the most total credits.

Mary Pickford 268
William Beaudine 253
Mickey Rooney 240
Chester Conklin 230
Billy Bevan 224
Wallace Beery 223
Lionel Barrymore 222
Zasu Pitts 210
D.W. Griffith had 552 credits as Director and 228 as Writer, and even more in other areas of filmmaking
0 Replies

Tim King

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2003 10:01 pm
Not bad, Larry, but not enough to come close to the 439 for Oliver Hardy and way off the 886 credits I just found for another "actor". I'll keep that number in my pocket and see if anyone get close.
LarryBS

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2003 11:30 pm
Mel Blanc
0 Replies

Tim King

Reply Sun 16 Feb, 2003 11:57 pm
Look at the big brain on Larry! Smile I am very impressed. I thought it would take a week for someone to go in that direction.

Now, if someone can top that number, I'll be shocked.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 06:58 am
A question for those who did not mention Mel Blanc prior to Larry. Imdb has already been mentioned as a source by some contributors on this thread. Since "Browse Imdb" lists Mel Blanc at the top of prolific actors, I am confused.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 11:29 pm
Well that feature of IMDb certainly puts an end to this game! IMDb has all kinds of little surprises tucked away inside. Are you confused by why we were playing this game in the first place, or why Mel Blanc's credits are considered "acting" credits? I assume you meant the latter. I guess he has to get credit within each movie he provided a voice for, and the acting credit is the closest credit available to what he did, even though, strictly speaking, he might not be considered an actor. Maybe if IMDb split out these types of performances into something like "Voice Credits" it would be more accurate.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Mon 17 Feb, 2003 11:32 pm
For those who can't find it, click on "More Searches" under the IMDb search box, then "Browsable Sections," then "Biographies," then "Most Prolific People."

Thanks flyboy.
0 Replies

Tim King

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 10:58 am
Dang! I never knew that existed. Thanks flyboy! But I still think it was a heck of a guess on Larry's part.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 09:46 pm
It was the " " you put around "actor" that tipped me off. I was searching all the old silent stars like Hardy who made tons of those short films from the 10s to the 30s. I remembered Disney, but didn't think of Blanc. I did think maybe an Indian star might be near the top, Bollywood makes 1000 films a year, but couldn't find anyone. But if you look on that list of prolific actors, I think an Indian star is second or third.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 18 Feb, 2003 09:59 pm
I tip my hat to the fabulous researchers who proceed me in this forum!

While it's obvious that others appeared (somehow or another) in more films than John Wayne, my question is: Is there any performer who was more consistently monotonous than the Duke in film after film? Surely that's an achievement deserving of recognition...
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 11:07 pm
D'Artagnan, in the monotony sweepstakes John Wayne gets stiff competition from Gary Cooper, Rock Hudson, and in our own day Kevin Costner and Arnold Schwarzenegger. Only Arnold could play a robot so convincingly. To be fair, Wayne gives good performances in some movies like FORT APACHE and THE SEARCHERS. That's more than you can say for Rock Hudson, who was always mediocre.
0 Replies

vladmarthy

Reply Wed 29 Aug, 2012 04:13 am
@Tim King,
try Peter North
Ron Jeremy
Tom Byron
Manorama
Jagathi Sreekumar
T.T. Boy
Mel Blanc
Marc Wallice