Pale Male and Lola evicted from NYC

flyboy804

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 01:21 pm
According to this other article, he is doing what comes naturally on a consistent basis.

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/281777p-241405c.html
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 01:32 pm
Good news! I've been watching the news with the eyes of a bobsmythhawk. I am so happy---as are at least thousands of interested birders et al.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 01:34 pm
Flyboy, Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that the nest is rebuilt and that the loving couple is doing the deed.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 03:27 pm
When will man learn that nature always wins? Very Happy
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 03:51 pm
New York Daily news article wrote:
In December, the co-op board of 927 Fifth Ave. took down the bird's nest amid complaints of hawk leftovers raining down on the ritzy sidewalk.

Um forgive me for this...
but
Arent new york streets covered in pigeon sh!t ALREADY?
What is the big diffrence?
Pigeons poke around in more trash and more infected sewers them these hawks do! How are the HAWKS more of a health risk?
jese... arrogant people.. complaining about bird droppings on a SIDEWALK, that is OUTSIDE where birds SH!T ..
oy
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 03:56 pm
I am sure the birds don't appreciate us human "left overs" like smoke, cigarette butts, papers, and other JUNK we leave laying around.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 03:58 pm
BINGO

they just cant tear down the doors of the apt building and make them homeless to express thier uncomfort.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2005 04:05 pm
I also saw a post about rats coming out at night. I guess he hasn't seen some of those back roads in the Back Bay. In full daylight I can see dozens of rats in back of the apartments (where the trash is). There aren't many who want to stroll on those thoroughfares. I remember when I was a kid (many decades ago) I saw a fight at mid day between a wharf (or Norway) rat and a terrier, which is also called a ratter. The terrier lost with it's throat ripped open.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2005 05:00 pm
New York Daily news article wrote:
complaints of hawk leftovers raining down on the ritzy sidewalk.

maybe its not guano, but partially eaten rat & pigeon that are the problem...
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 03:31 pm
U.S. National - AP
AP
New York High-Rise Hawks Have Egg in Nest

21 minutes ago

By RICHARD PYLE, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK - New York's high-rise hawks are expecting an addition to the family.

Pale Male and his mate, Lola, who live on the ledge of a Fifth Avenue apartment building overlooking Central Park, have at least one egg in their nest, according to the Pale Male.com Web site run by Lincoln Karim, a video engineer with Associated Press Television News who devotes most of his spare time to monitoring the birds.

In December, the board of the co-op apartment building, whose tenants include actress Mary Tyler Moore and CNN anchor Paula Zahn, removed the hawks' huge nest on a 12th-story ledge, calling it a hazard.

The board later bowed to public outrage and pressure from the city and environmentalists, and restored a row of anti-pigeon spikes that the hawks had used to anchor their nest. Pale Male and Lola immediately rebuilt their nest.

The male hawk has sired 23 chicks with four mates since he first set up housekeeping at 927 Fifth Ave. in 1993.

Volunteers use the Web site to record every detail of the hawks' lives.

"Lola appears to be turning the eggs every half hour or so. Pale Male had two sittings today between noon and sunset," said an entry posted Sunday.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 09:24 am
A bit more on the Pale Male- Lola saga:
http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/290409p-248580c.html
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Mon 23 May, 2005 09:08 am
http://www.cartoonbank.com/assets/1/120911_m.gif
0 Replies