Mexican cinema, Mexican film recommendations

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 06:58 pm
On another thread fbaezer recommended:

Amores Perros
Y Tu Mamá También

My netflix queue is currently at its 500 film limit, so I need to save them here.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,011 • Replies: 7
No top replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 07:25 pm
I join you here, Craven. Here's a list of my top 10 Mexican films (all time):

1. Los Olvidados (1950), by Luis Buñuel. Top drama about young men and children and their life in the slums of Mexico City.

2. Nazarín (1958), by Luis Buñuel. What happens if a priest decides to follow the teachings of Jesus? Absurdities and tragedies shows us that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

3. Amores Perros (2000), by Alejandro González Iñárritu. Three tragic stories involving all social classes intertwine with two common denominators: dogs and a love that bites the guts.

4. Los Hermanos del Hierro (1961), by Ismael Rodríguez. Not a very known film, but an extraordinary Western, where revenge, destiny, stupidity and lust form an unscapable mix.

5. Redes (1936), by Fred Zinnemann. An interesting, quasi-Eisensteinian look to the lives of traditional fishermen on Lake Pátzcuaro. Stunning music by Silvestre Revueltas.

6. Rojo Amanecer (1989), by Jorge Fons. The Massacre of Tlatelolco (October 2, 1968), from an special point of view. All the film happens inside one of the buildings of Tlatelolco... and most of it inside a middle class appartment.

7. Danzón (1991), by María Novaro. A phone worker loses her dancing mate and goes searching for him to Veracruz. Finds many other things. A sensual film with almost no sex scenes.

8. Reed, México Insurgente (1973), by Paul Leduc. The adventures of American journalist-revolutionary John Reed, with Pancho Villa. Filmed in sepia and white, an eerie reconstruction of a troubled era.

9. Una Familia de Tantas (1949), by Alejandro Galindo. On how modernity, through an appliance salesman, crashes into and with Mexican patriarchal authoritarianism, and defeats it.

10. El Angel Exterminador (1962), by Luis Buñuel. "The Exterminating Angel" was to be called "Los Naúfragos de la Calle Providencia". Somehow, the guests of a party at a rich house are stranded, like survivors of a shipwreck, inside the living room. And they behave accordingly.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 07:29 pm
Arrrg! Out of that entire list Netflix only has Amores Perros.

I just found out that they don't have Beau Geste (One of my favs) either and am pissed.

I'll have to find another way to see them, but for now I am stuck with:

Amores Perros
Y Tu Mamá También
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 07:40 pm
One of my early favorite books was Beau Geste... a comedy (in part) to me at the time. Been a f'half century since I read it.

Paying attention to your list, Fb.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 07:44 pm
Y Tu Mamá También I might own this - cannot remember 100% will check it out
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 07:58 pm
UNESCO has launched the Memory of the World Programme to guard against collective amnesia calling upon the preservation of the valuable archive holdings and library collections all over the world ensuring their wide dissemination. "Los Olvidados" and Fritz Lang 's "Metropolis" (1927) are the first two movies (and in 2004, the only two movies) with this recognition.

The "Los Olvidados" DVD, (Regions 1 and 4) is available at ebay, with both the classic and an alternate ending, for less than 15 bucks.
Koch Lorber is set to release a Region 1 (USA/Canada) edition quite soon, I've read on the imdb boards.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 08:02 pm
Lorber... I am remembering it as Fox Lorber..
er, a while ago (nevermind, just thinking out loud.)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 10:31 am
"Beau Geste" hasn't been released on DVD yet -- I have the old VHS tape and, coincidentally, the CD of the score on the Marco Polo label. fbaezer's list is really good but it's likely going to be a long wait for Region 1 DVD's to show up on NetFlix. I've found defunct DVD's on E Bay as well as used copies. I am shocked that "Los Olividos" is not available at NetFlix.
0 Replies