I am looking for help with a survey for my philosophy class

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 03:22 pm
I am currebtly taking a intro philosophy course and I am looking for different people willing to help me do a survey about the soul. your help is greatly appreciated. Laughing

Religion

Do you believe in a soul?

If no please explain

If yes where do you believe the soul resides?

What reason do you give for believing the soul exists?

What do you believe happens to the soul while you are asleep?

What do you believe happens to the soul after death?

Do you believe it is possible to lose the soul? (please explain)

any other information you may want to suply please feel free to include.

thank you very much the sooner this is filled out the better thank you again Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 628 • Replies: 6
No top replies

SCoates

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 04:06 pm

LDS

Yes. Just for the sake of termonology, I call the soul the spirit and the body while together. So the soul is both by that definition. However, it would be more useful if I went by my definition of "spirit" and I'll say it resides in the body.

It is the spark of intelligence that we have, which (for example) a robot will never have, no matter how complex we make it. It is our sencience, our awareness which proves the soul to me.

It is the spirit which works in our minds to organize and understand. So any thoughts we have are the thoughts of our immortal spirits. In other words, the soul dreams.

It seperates from the body and will eventually be reunited in the resurrection.

No, because the soul is who we are. It is possible for the soul to leave the body, but it is the soul which retains its identity, so only the body is temporarily lost.

Had fun doing it, you're welcome.
0 Replies

binnyboy

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 05:17 pm

none

no

I refuse to believe ANYTHING is more than the sum of its parts. And we are the sum of a finite number of parts. Take away any few cells, and we are still us. So any soul we might have would have to not be physical matter. But we could make a person (lets just say we're in the future and we have cool nanorobots) from the ground up out of atoms, and it would work. And we never gave it something that is not physical matter. So either I have something it wouldn't have, but which nobody would be able to detect (we'd be indistinguishable), or there is no such thing as a soul.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 12:48 am
binny beat me to the punch. Sad
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 12:47 pm

No

Yes. The soul resides everywhere, or to put it even more cryptic: Your soul is the entire world. :wink: (It is not an entity of the material world, and therefore is not subject to its laws about space, time, and matter. All living entities are gateways that safely channel spiritual energy into the material world, animating it. Your body is a gateway to the divine, and you are standing in the door :wink:

I see evidence of the souls existence everywhere.

While I am asleep my body is less restrained by my confused conciousness, and completely freed from input from the senses. It is closer to knowing its origin.

The soul is not subject to death. After material bodies die? They continue...

I do not believe it is possible to lose the soul, but I believe it is possible to ignore it. But I cannot imagine who would want to.

I should probably mention that I believe in god. By that I don't mean that I believe what people say about god, simply that I whenever I'm under the stars I get a sense of divine wonder...
0 Replies

cntryluv

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 03:54 pm
thank you
I just wanted to thank ever one of you that participated with your help I passed my class and I can now go on to the next level ty all very much Very Happy
0 Replies

mintyluck4me

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 11:37 am
quaker

sometimes. it depends on my mood. if i am in the mood to think about it i truly believe there has to be something to us that really animates us. other days where i am feeling defensive ill say absolutely not.

the soul is a metaphysical thing that doesnt have a literal resting area in our body like an organ.

i believe that the soul exists because everyone is so radically different, there has to be someting more then science to make us different.

perhaps your soul is heard the loudest in your sleep- in your dreams.

after death, your soul maybe perpares itself for someone else to use or returns to some "beginning"

can you lose your soul... hmm i dont think so maybe though you can ignore it.
0 Replies