Stem Cell Research

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 03:23 am
NY School Bus Driver Fired Over Stem Cell Talk

Thu Dec 2, 6:25 PM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A school bus driver who chatted about stem cell research with her pupils was fired for inappropriate behavior, a local newspaper said on Thursday.

Stem cell research was a divisive issue in the November U.S. presidential election. Supporters say it may eventually help people with conditions such as Alzheimer's and cancer but opponents argue it would be unethical when it involves cloning human embryos or harvesting cells from embryos.

The Buffalo News said Julianne Thompson, 42, was fired from her job in Grand Island, New York after parents complained about her discussing the issue with pupils on Nov. 1 -- the day before the presidential election.

Thompson told the newspaper she had read an interview where movie director Mel Gibson said more than 20 years of embryonic stem cell research had not cured any diseases but more than 300,000 cures had been found with adult stem cells. She said she then shared the stated facts with the pupils, without offering her opinions.

"In the midst of all the misplaced outrage, is the story of the sad and disturbing success of a fraudulent social 'conscience' that devalues life in favor of demonstrably failed science, wasting billions of dollars in the process," she was quoted as saying.

Education authorities in the town were not immediately available for comment but the paper quoted schools Superintendent Thomas Ramming as saying employees were not allowed to discuss political issues with students.

"You can say anything you want as a private citizen when you are off duty," Ramming said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 767 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 05:21 am
No, I don't think that stem cells were an appropriate subject to for a school bus driver to discuss with students while on the job. I think that she deserved a sharp rebuke, and possibly a warning notice, but not a firing.

I am curious though, as to whether this was an isolated incident, or had this driver spoken inappropriately in the past to the students. I have a sneaking suspicion that there is more to this story that what is in the article.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 05:27 am
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20041202/1063213.asp

Quote:
Thompson said she was not aware of such a policy and it wasn't in her contract. Some months ago, a district official told her to remove a pro-President Bush sticker from her bus's windshield because it obstructed her vision but didn't tell her about the district's policy.

And the plot thickens................................
0 Replies

binnyboy

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 06:15 pm
If nothing else she should get fired for spreading misinformation! 300,000 cures my cornhole!
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 06:29 pm
This is a school bus driver-- for goodness sake.

What she did was inappropriate, and I happen to disagree with her politics.

School bus drivers should not be held to the same level of accountability as teachers and administrators. Besides, it sounds like it was a politcal statement, not a religious one... it don't even think it was technically a violation of anything.

This deserved a wrist slap at best.
0 Replies

binnyboy

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 06:32 pm
300,000 cures! Smile
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 12:53 pm
Come on, we want sensible people to have jobs where they can contribute to society dont we? If so we can't have them all driving school busses, so we'll have to leave that to other folks.
0 Replies

binnyboy

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 01:05 pm
ok ok fine I give you got me on that one.
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 01:21 pm
What makes it an innapropriate subject to discuss?

Im assuming these were high school students she was talking with. I dont see whats wrong with a discussiom between 16 year old kids and a bus driver where opinions are put forth.

. . . then again she is pro-bush, so you might want to lock her up just in case :;
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 01:29 pm
Bus drivers ought to stick to bus driving.
0 Replies