Tsunami Spam

izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 05:57 am
@Setanta,
The bad English is deliberate, it means they only have to deal with the stupid and gullible, and not waste their time with those who can see right through it.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 06:19 am
Some of these spams have a long history.

Quote:
The Spanish Prisoner, a scam dating back to 1588, is alive and well on the Internet. In its original form, the con artist tells the victim that he is in touch with an aristocrat who has been imprisoned in Spain under a false identity. The alleged prisoner cannot reveal his identity without serious repercussions, and is relying on the con artist to raise the money needed to secure his release. The confidence artist offers to let the victim supply some of the money, with a promise that he will be rewarded generously when the prisoner is freed, both financially and through marriage to the prisoner's beautiful daughter. However, once the victim has turned over his money, he learns that further difficulties have arisen, and more money is required. By this time the victim is both emotionally and financially invested and rather than lose the money he has already put out will invest more. This will continue until the mark is cleaned out and the game ends.
Key features of the Spanish Prisoner are the emphasis on secrecy and the trust that the victim will not reveal the prisoner's identity or situation. The victim is supposed chosen based on his reputation for honesty, which is very important since the con artist's share of the reward is to be distributed voluntarily by the victim.

http://www.fhando.com/spanish.html

There is a theory that letters, sent to British expats working in 19C Nigeria, warning of this scam, are what gave rise to Nigerian Prince scam, and all the other schemes emanating from Nigeria.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 06:28 am
I guess PT Barnum was right.

Sometimes I think I'm on the wrong planet.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 07:00 am
@izzythepush,
Yep; that's exactly it. The bad English, etc. is all designed to be the lowest level of trap. Anyone who falls for it is put on the suckers' list (no lie). Those lists are often sold among scammers.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 08:04 am
@jespah,
Even though she was never online my late mother in law was on one of those lists. She would get about 10 letters a day with phony cheques for thousands of pounds. I really feel sorry for whoever moved into her flat after her.
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 12:12 pm
@izzythepush,
Yep, my old Mum was hooked into all this stuff when she was losing her marbles, and fortunately she used to rely on her next door neighbour or me to post all her letters.
Neighbour and I soon noticed that she was sending letters to weird addresses and decided to open them and see what was going on. She was sending cheques for varying anounts to these slimeballs, and so we "diverted" all future letters to the shredder.

I tried several times to convince her that it was a con, but she firmly held the belief that she had thousands locked away in some obscure account which these people would process and send to her for an administration fee.
Luckily, she only sent them about £50. It could have been so much more.

These conmen should be strung up.
jespah

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 12:42 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Definitely. I'm glad she had you to intervene (same with your MIL, izzy).
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 01:56 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Fortunately my MIL was even more far gone, she didn't send cheques, just long rambling letters, thanking them, asking about their family, and where they were going on holiday.
0 Replies