WA2K Radio is now on the air

Letty

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 06:56 pm
Oh, my God, Tai. I love that. Wish I could do YouTube. I love the allusion to the "cock and bull" story, gal. Now we know where the expression, "horns of a dilemma" arises. (among others)

Back in a bit, folks, as I need to take a brief break.

This is cyber space, WA2K radio.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 07:28 pm
Oops, missed you and Leonard, edgar. I cannot believe it, folks. I didn't know that Jewish guy was Canadian; either that or I had forgotten that he was.

Thanks, Texas. We always appreciate anything by that Cohen man.

Here's another weird one, folks. There's a Margaret Mitchell who is a Canadian politician, and another who is a Scottish politician. Shocked

Here is the one we are honoring, however, and it's the theme from Tara of GWTW.

Also recorded by: Jimmy Clanton; José Carreras;
Billy Eckstine; Nana Mouskouri; Lee Lawrence;
Luther Henderson & His Orch: ..... and others.

Ah-ah-ah-aaaaah
Ah-ah-ah-aaaaah

My own true love
My own true love
At last I've found you
My own true love

No lips but yours
No arms but yours
Will ever lead me
Through Heaven's door

I roamed the Earth
In search of this
I knew I'd know you
Know you by your kiss

And by your kiss
You've shown true love
I'm yours forever
My own true love
My own true love

The music was written by Max Steiner in 1939 as
"Tara's Theme" from the film "Gone With The Wind".
The lyrics were added by Mack David in 1959.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 08:27 pm
Hank and I are movin' on, all. Thanks for a wonderful evening.

Love this one:

That big eight-wheeler rollin' down the track
Means your true-lovin' daddy ain't comin' back
'Cause I'm movin' on, I'll soon be gone
You were flyin' too high, for my little old sky
So I'm movin' on

That big loud whistle as it blew and blew
Said hello to the southland, we're comin' to you
When we're movin' on, oh hear my song
You had the laugh on me, so I've set you free
And I'm movin' on

Mister fireman won't you please listen to me
'Cause I got a pretty mama in Tennessee
Keep movin' me on, keep rollin' on
So shovel the coal, let this rattler roll
And keep movin' me on

Mister Engineer, take that throttle in hand
This rattler's the fastest in the southern land
To keep movin' me on, keep rollin' on
You gonna ease my mind, put me there on time
And keep rollin' on

I've told you baby, from time to time
But you just wouldn't listen or pay me no mind
Now I'm movin' on, I'm rollin' on
You've broken your vow, and it's all over now
So I'm movin' on

You've switched your engine now I ain't got time
For a triflin' woman on my main line
Cause I'm movin on, you done your daddy wrong
I warned you twice, now you can settle the price
'Cause I'm movin on

But someday baby when you've had your play
You're gonna want your daddy but your daddy will say
Keep movin' on, you stayed away too long
I'm through with you, too bad you're blue
Keep movin' on

Goodnight, all
From Letty with love
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 07:39 am
Marie Dressler
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Birth name Leila Marie Koerber
Born November 9, 1868(1868-11-09)
Cobourg, Ontario, Canada
Died July 28, 1934 (aged 65)
Santa Barbara, California, U.S.
[show]Awards
Academy Awards
Best Actress
1931 Min and Bill

Marie Dressler (November 9, 1868 - July 28, 1934) was an Academy Award-winning Canadian actress.

Born Leila Marie Koerber in Cobourg, Ontario to parents Alexander Rudolph Koerber (who was Austrian) and Anna Henderson. Being a rather overweight child, she spent a lot of time developing the defense mechanisms many overweight children become skilled at. The young Marie Dressler was able to hone her talents to make other people laugh, and at 14 years old she began her acting career in theatre. In 1892 she made her debut on Broadway. At first she hoped to make a career of singing light opera, but then gravitated to vaudeville.

During the early 1900s, she became a major vaudeville star. In 1902, she met fellow Canadian, Mack Sennett, and helped him get a job in the theater. In addition to her stage work, Dressler recorded for Edison Records in 1909 and 1910. After Sennett became the owner of his namesake motion picture studio, he convinced Dressler to star in his highly successful 1914 film Tillie's Punctured Romance opposite Sennett's newly discovered actor, Charlie Chaplin. Dressler appeared in two more "Tillie" sequels plus other comedies until 1918 when she returned to work in vaudeville.

In 1919, during the Actors' Equity strike in New York city, the Chorus Equity Association was formed and voted Dressler its first president.

In 1927, she had been secretly blacklisted by the theater production companies due to her strong stance in a labor dispute. It would turn out to be another Canadian who gave her the opportunity to return to motion pictures, MGM studio boss Louis B. Mayer who called her "the most adored person ever to set foot in the Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer studio."

In 1929, once again, Marie Dressler found herself out of work, so she joined Edward Everett Horton's theater troup in L.A.. However, soon after this, Dressler yet again found herself in demand, due to the arrival of talkies and the need for stage trained performers. She the proceeded to leave Horton flat, much to his indignation.

After several forgettable supporting roles in unsuccessful talkies, Frances Marion, an MGM screenwriter, and personal friend of Irving Thalberg, came to the rescue. Dressler had shown great kindness to Marion during the filming of Tillie Wakes Up back in 1917, and in return, Marion used her influence over Thalberg to get Dressler a number of supporting roles, such as that of a queen in Breakfast at Sunrise, and that of a snappy maid in Chasing Rainbows. She was then established as a funny supporting woman. Marion persuaded Thalberg to give Dressler the role of Marthy in Anna Christie, the old harridan who welcomes Greta Garbo home after the search for her father. Garbo was impressed by Dressler's acting ability, so were the critics, and so was MGM, who quickly signed Dressler to a five-hundred dollar-a-week contract

A robust, full-bodied woman of very plain features, Marie Dressler's ensuing comedy films were very popular with the movie-going public and an equally lucrative investment for MGM. Although past sixty years of age, she quickly became Hollywood's number one box office attraction and stayed on top until her death. In addition to her comedic genius and her natural elegance, she also demonstrated her considerable talents by taking on serious roles. For her starring portrayal in Min and Bill, co-starring Wallace Beery, she won the 1931 Academy Award for Best Actress. Dressler was nominated again for Best Actress for her 1932 role as Emma. With that film, Dressler demonstrated her profound generosity to other performers: Dressler personally insisted that her studio bosses cast a friend of hers, a then largely unknown young actor, Richard Cromwell, in the lead opposite her. It was a break that helped launch his career.

Dressler followed these successes with more hits in 1933 (like the comedy Dinner at Eight, in which she played an aging and poor former stage actress) and made the cover of the August 7, 1933 issue of Time magazine. However, her career came to an abrupt end when she was diagnosed with terminal cancer. MGM head Louis B. Mayer learned of Dressler's illness from her doctor and asked that she not be told. To keep her home, he ordered her not to travel on her vacation because he wanted to put her in a new film. Dressler was furious but complied.

In all, Marie Dressler appeared in more than 40 films but only achieved superstardom near the end of her life. Always seeing herself as physically unattractive, she wrote an autobiography, The Life Story of an Ugly Duckling.

Marie Dressler died in Santa Barbara, California and is interred in a crypt in the Great Mausoleum in the Forest Lawn Memorial Park Cemetery in Glendale, California.

She has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 1731 Vine Street. Each year the Marie Dressler Film Festival is held in her home town of Cobourg, Ontario.

In the late 1990s, two biographies of Dressler were published. One was entitled: Marie Dressler: The Unlikeliest Star by Ontario resident and writer Betty Lee. The other was by Matthew Kennedy, and is the more comprehensive source except that only Lee had access to the diary of an intimate friend of Dressler's.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 07:41 am
Ed Wynn

Born November 9, 1886(1886-11-09)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.
Died June 19, 1966 (aged 79)
Beverly Hills, California

Ed Wynn (November 9, 1886 - June 19, 1966) was a popular American comedian and actor.

The distinctive giggly wavering voice which Wynn created for his "Perfect Fool" character remains much imitated, especially by voice actors of animated cartoons. Hanna-Barbera's Wally Gator's voice is probably the nearest to an exact impersonation of the Perfect Fool.

Biography

Born Isaiah Edwin Leopold in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, he ran away from home in his teens and eventually adapted his middle name "Edwin" into his new stage name, "Ed Wynn", to save his family the embarrassment of having a low comedian as a relative.

In his youth, Wynn worked as an onstage assistant to W. C. Fields. Fields caught him "mugging" for the audience during his "Pool Room" routine and knocked him unconscious with his cue. Wynn became a headliner in vaudeville in the early-1910s, and was a star of the Ziegfeld Follies starting in 1914.

He was best known as a comedian, billed as The Perfect Fool (and starring in a musical revue of that name on Broadway in 1921). Wynn also wrote, directed, and produced many shows. He was famous for his silly costumes and props, and always worked "clean," making his shows suitable for the entire family.

He hosted a popular radio show for most of the 1930s, heard in North America on Tuesday nights, sponsored by Texaco gasoline. He was often seen wearing a fireman's helmet, as the "Texaco Fire Chief". During this time, Wynn was offered the part of The Wizard in MGM's adaptation of The Wizard of Oz, but he turned down the role. The part later went to Frank Morgan. [1]

Wynn founded his own short-lived radio network, the Amalgamated Broadcasting System, which lasted only five weeks in 1933. In the late-1940s and early-1950s, he hosted a television show, and won an Emmy Award in 1949.

After the end of his television show, Wynn reluctantly began a career as a dramatic actor in television and movies. His son, actor Keenan Wynn, had encouraged him to make the career change rather than retire. The two appeared in the 1957 Playhouse 90 broadcast of Rod Serling's play Requiem for a Heavyweight. Ed was terrified of "straight" acting and kept goofing his lines in rehearsal. When the producers wanted to fire him, star Jack Palance said he would quit if they fired Ed. On live broadcast night, Wynn surprised everyone with his pitch-perfect performance, and his quick ad libs to cover his mistakes.

Requiem established Wynn as serious dramatic actor who could easily hold his own with the best. His role in The Diary of Anne Frank won him an Academy Award nomination for best supporting actor in 1959.

Also in 1959, Wynn appeared on Serling's TV series The Twilight Zone in "One for the Angels". Serling, a longtime admirer, had written that and another episode especially for him, and Wynn later starred in the episode "Ninety Years Without Slumbering". For the rest of his life, Ed skillfully moved between comic and dramatic roles. He appeared in feature films and anthology television, endearing himself to new generations of fans.

Wynn provided the voice of the Mad Hatter in Walt Disney's film, Alice in Wonderland and appeared as the Fairy Godfather in Jerry Lewis' Cinderfella. In the movie, That Darn Cat!(1965) Ed played Mr. Hofstedder, the watch jeweler. One of his best-known performances during later years was as "Uncle Albert" in Mary Poppins. In addition to Disney films, Wynn was a popular character in the Disneyland production The Golden Horseshoe Review. The last movie that he appeared in was The Gnome-Mobile (1967) in which he plays the character Rufus.

Ed Wynn died June 19, 1966 in Beverly Hills, California of throat cancer, aged 79.

Quotations

"A comedian is not a man who says funny things. A comedian is one who says things funny."
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 07:50 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 07:56 am
Dorothy Dandridge

Birth name Dorothy Jean Dandridge
Born November 9, 1922(1922-11-09)
Cleveland, Ohio
Died September 8, 1965 (aged 42)
West Hollywood, California
Years active 1935-1961
Spouse(s) Harold Nicholas (1942-1951)
Jack Denison (1959-1962)
[show]Awards
Academy Awards
Nominated: Best Actress
1954 Carmen Jones
BAFTA Awards
Nominated: Best Actress
1955 Carmen Jones
Golden Globe Awards
Nominated: Best Actress - Motion Picture Musical/Comedy
1960 Porgy and Bess

Dorothy Jean Dandridge (November 9, 1922-September 8, 1965) was an American actress. She was the first African American to be nominated for an Academy Award in the Best Actress category and the third Black American to receive a nomination in any Oscar category overall (after Hattie McDaniel and Ethel Waters). In the 1950s, Dandridge was the first African American female to appear at the Las Vegas Frontier and the Waldolf-Astoria, as well as the first to be featured on the cover of Life. Despite racial intolerance and having to "enter through the back-door", Dandridge went on to appear on the Ed Sullivan and Johnny Carson shows and received dazzling reviews for her nightclub appearances at the Cafe de Paris and the La vie en Rose.

Beginnings

Dandridge's mother, Ruby Dandridge, was an ambitious, small-time local performer who would become a successful stage and screen actress. She created an act for her two young daughters, Vivian and Dorothy, under the name of The Wonder Children which toured in the South for five years supervised by Ruby's lesbian partner, Geneva Williams, while Ruby worked and performed in Cleveland Ohio. Biographies on Dandridge document this period as the beginning of Dorothy's sexual abuse by Williams. During this time they toured non-stop, and Dorothy rarely attended school.

With the start of the Great Depression, work dried up, as it did for many of the Chitlin' circuit performers. Ruby Dandridge moved to Hollywood where she found steady work playing domestics in small parts on radio and film. During this time, Geneva continued to train and rehearse the girls who were renamed "The Dandridge Sisters" and booked into such venues as The Cotton Club and The Apollo Theatre in Harlem, New York. Dorothy's first on-screen appearance had been a bit part in a 1935 Our Gang short; in 1937 she appeared in the Marx Brothers feature A Day at the Races, singing a solo in the production number "All God's Chillun Got Rhythm." in her authobiography Everthing and Nothing, Dorothy claimed she had Mexican, British, African american and Native American roots in her family.

Going solo

Dandridge did not receive another role until 1940, when she appeared in the race film Four Shall Die, in which she played a murderer. All of her early parts were stereotypical African American roles, but her singing ability and sensual elegance brought her popularity in nightclubs around the country. During this period, she starred in several "soundies", video films designed to be displayed on juke boxes, including Paper Doll by the Mills Brothers, "Cow Cow Boogie", "Jig In The Jungle", "Mr. & Mrs. Carpenter's Rent Party".

Carmen Jones

In 1954, Austrian director and writer Otto Preminger announced that 20th Century Fox had given him permission to direct the legendary broadway play Carmen, with an "all Negro cast". Dandridge thought the lead role of Carmen would be a breakthrough for her but when she arrived with her manager and friend Earl Mills to meet Preminger, he rejected her for the role because he thought she was too sweet and too nice for the part. When he offered her the part of Cindy Lou, Dandridge took action, going to Max Factor in Hollywood where she bought a cut-off black blouse and a red skirt which matched with the red rose she put in her hair. This time after seeing her Preminger exclaimed, "My God! It's Carmen!". She was cast along with Harry Belafonte, Pearl Bailey, Madame Sul-Te-Wan, Diahann Carroll and Joe Adams.

When Carmen Jones was released in theatres in 1955 it grossed $60,000 during the first week and $47,000 in the second. The movie received dazzling reviews which created Oscar buzz for Dorothy Dandridge's performance.

On March 26, 1955 Dorothy and her sister, Vivian Dandridge, arrived at the Pantages for the Academy Awards during which Dorothy presented the Best Film Editing award to Gene Milford for on On the Waterfront. In addition to Dorothy the Best Actress Award nominees were Judy Garland, Audrey Hepburn, Grace Kelly and Jane Wyman. Dandridge lost to Grace Kelly for her performance in The Country Girl.

Personal Life

Dandridge married well-known dancer and entertainer Harold Nicholas on September 6, 1942 and gave birth to her only child, Harolyn Suzanne Nicholas on September 2, 1943. Harolyn was born brain damaged with no remedy to be found, and the couple divorced in October 1951. Dandridge became romantically involved with Otto Preminger during the filming of Carmen Jones, an affair which lasted four years. Controlling and possessive, he advised her not to sign a contract for four films which had been offered to her and which would have built on the acclaim she had garnered as Carmen, thereby sabotaging her career.[citation needed] (During this period, she was under serious consideration for the featured role of Tuptim in the 1956 production of The King and I; the reasons for her not being cast are not known.[1]) She ended the affair upon realization that Preminger had no plans to leave his first wife to marry her.

Dandridge married Jack Denison on June 22, 1959. On their honeymoon Denison told Dorothy he was losing his restaurant because of financial problems and persuaded her to perform there. When this wasn't financially successful he became violent with her and began milking her bank accounts. After the divorce Denison got half of everything Dandridge owned. She also discovered that the people who were handling her finances had swindled her out of $150,000, and that she was $139,000 in debt for back taxes. Forced to sell her Hollywood home and to place her daughter in a state mental institution in Carmillo, California, Dorothy moved into a small apartment at 8495 Fountain Avenue in West Hollywood. Alone, and without any acting roles or singing engagements on the horizon, Dandridge suffered a nervous collapse.

Comeback

By 1965 Earl Mills managed to get Dorothy bookings in Tokyo, the Mocambo in New York, and the New York Basin Street East, as well as two Mexican film roles. She also did a show in Puerto Rico, and another in New Mexico. All of the performances were sold out: she was back in the big picture. Her salary for both appearances was $10,000, plus $75,000 for the two films and a $20,000 advance for her autobiography.

Victory over tabloid journalism

Dandridge was one of the few Hollywood stars who answered a subpoena to testify at the 1957 criminal libel trial of Hollywood Research, Inc., the company which published all of the tabloid magazines of the era. She and actress Maureen O'Hara, the only other star who agreed to testify, were photographed shaking hands outside the downtown Los Angeles courtroom where the well-publicized trial was held. Testimony from O'Hara, as well as a disgruntled former magazine editor provoked giddy tension as it became clear that the magazines' fascination with casual sex had made them vulnerable to false information provided by hotel maids and clerks who were paid for stories. When the jury and press visited Grauman's Chinese Theatre to determine whether O'Hara could have performed various sexual acts while seated in the balcony as reported by the magazine - it was discovered that this would have been impossible - the result damaging to the tabloid press. Dandridge, however, contended with an even more serious allegation made against her when she took the witness stand.

Alleged by one tabloid to have fornicated in the woods of Lake Tahoe with a white bandleader in 1950, she reminded the court that racial segregation had confined her to her hotel room during her nightclub run in the Nevada resort city - she could have been arrested simply for leaving the hotel to buy food, cosmetics, or for any other reason. This proved beyond any doubt that the Hollywood Research company had committed libel at least once. The verdict curtailed invasive tabloid journalism until many years after Dandridge's death. She had done herself a favor, probably without realizing it, in that nobody took advantage of the ambiguous circumstances of her death when it was still fresh. There are no known photographs of the death scene or of the removal of her body from her West Hollywood, California apartment.

While those who have endured similar ordeals point out that Dandridge's devastating experience with having a brain-damaged child was probably the straw that broke her back emotionally, it's interesting to note that the actress openly discussed the issue of raising a mentally handicapped child on The Mike Douglas Show, videotaped in her hometown of Cleveland, in 1963. As is the case with nearly all TV talk shows from that era, the video and audio are gone, however a newspaper wire service report of Dandridge's remarks on the program survives.

Death

In September 8,1965 Dandridge was found dead in West Hollywood from an overdose of Imipramine, a tricyclic antidepressant. She was only 42. Biographers believe that she may have suffered from bipolar disorder and that her death was the result of accidentally taking pain medication (for a broken ankle) in conjunction with the other medications. A friend, Geri Branton, said decades later that the ankle injury, sustained while Dandridge was working out at a Los Angeles gym was not serious, and Earl Mills stated that Dorothy was healing and was scheduled to have the cast removed prior to fulfilling scheduled engagements. The Sheriff and Coroner's comment was: "Dorothy Dandridge? She was some kind of a colored singer." [citation needed]

There was little impetus in 1965 for anyone to investigate the actress' untimely death and the coroner pronounced the death accidental overdose. On September 12,1965 a private funeral service was held for Dorothy at the Little Chapel Of Flowers in Glendale.

Legacy & Impact

After Dandridge's Death, Hollywood overlooked the legacy that she had left behind. In later years however stars such as Cicely Tyson, Jada Pinkett, Halle Berry, Janet Jackson and Angela Bassett cherished Dorothy Dandridge's memory. Halle Berry took the lead role of Dandridge in the HBO Movie Introducing Dorothy Dandridge, for which she won an Emmy Award, a Golden Globe Award, and a Screen Actors Guild Award. Dorothy Dandridge left a life long legacy to African American actresses and in 1984 she finally received a posthumous star on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame; Harry Belafonte and Sidney Poitier were there to accept on her behalf. She was considered for the lead role in the film based on Cleopatra by director Rouben Mamoulian, which eventually went to Elizabeth Taylor. In the cartoon strip "The Boondocks", Grandpa often has daydreams about going fishing with Miss Dandridge as an escape from the boondocks.

Trivia

She has a great niece that lives in Auburn Hills, MI, that was a porn screen actress that went by the name Fantasy and bears a striking resemblence to her. Since then she has stop to pursue modeling and marriage.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 08:05 am
Mary Travers (born Mary Ellin Travers, 9 November 1936, Louisville, Kentucky) is a member of the folk group Peter, Paul and Mary, along with Peter Yarrow and Noel "Paul" Stookey. Together, they formed one of the most successful folk-singing groups of the 1960s.

With her long, flowing, blonde hair and crystal-clear soprano vocals, Mary Travers was a major influence on the folk music of the 1960s and '70s. A founding member of

Peter, Paul And Mary, Travers, not only became one of the most commercially successful folk performers, but, used her position to become an inspirational political spokesperson. Together with Peter Yarrow and Noel Paul Stookey, Travers performed at Civil Rights rallies with Dr. Martin Luther King, in Birmingham, Alabama and Washington, D.C., and, at numerous anti-Vietnam War demonstrations, fund-raisers and teach-ins. During the 1980s, Travers helped to call attention to the struggles of Latin America.

A native of Louisville, Kentucky, Travers grew up in New York's Greenwich Village. As a youngster, she became enchanted with the American folk songs played by The Weavers, Leadbelly and Woody Guthrie. While in high school, Travers became a regular performer at the Sunday afternoon folk music sessions at Washington Square Park. Together with a teenage group, The Songswappers, Travers appeared twice at Carnegie Hall and recorded with Pete Seeger. After singing in the chorus of a short-lived Broadway show, Travers balanced work in the literary and advertising field with appearances in New York clubs at night and weekends. After meeting humorist, folksinger and guitarist Stookey and folk music producer Milt Okun, Travers helped to form Peter, Paul and Mary. The trio performed its debut show at the Bitter End in 1961 and began a decade-long series of concerts and recordings. Their self-titled debut album, released in 1962 became a major hit, remaining in the top ten for ten months and the top twenty for two years. Their single, "If I Had A Hammer" became an anthem of the Civil Rights movement. Over the next decade, Travers and the trio helped to popularize the songs of Bob Dylan, John Denver and Gordon Lightfoot. Travers' lead vocals helped to make the trio's rendition of Denver's "Leaving On A Jet Plane," a major hit in 1970.

Shortly after releasing a "greatest hits" album, "Ten Years Together," in May, 1970, the trio announced their separation. The mother of two daughters-Erika, born in 1960, and Alicia, born in 1966 -- Travers remained active as a soloist, releasing five albums and performing in college and clubs throughout the United States. In addition, Travers lectured at colleges on "Society And Its Effect On Music", hosted a music and interview show on Radio Pacifica (KPFK) in Los Angeles and produced, wrote and starred in a television series for the BBC.

Travers reunited with Stookey and Yarrow in 1978 for a benefit concert, Survival Sunday, that Yarrow organized and produced at the Hollywood Bowl. Their performance was so encouraging that they agreed to resume their partnership. In the two decades since, Travers has continued to record and perform approximately forty-five concerts each year with the trio. ~ Craig Harris, All Music Guide
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 08:06 am
An engineer and a programmer
A programmer and an engineer are sitting next to each other on a long flight from Los Angeles to New York.

The programmer leans over to the engineer and asks if he would like to play a fun game.

The engineer just wants to take a nap, so he politely declines and rolls over to the window to catch a few winks.

The programmer persists and explains that the game is real easy and is a lot of fun. He explains "I ask you a question, and if you don't know the answer, you pay me $5. Then you ask me a question, and if I don't know the answer, I'll pay you $5."

Again, the engineer politely declines and tries to get to sleep.

The programmer, now somewhat agitated, says, "OK, if you don't know the answer you pay me $5, and if I don't know the answer, I'll pay you $100!"

This catches the engineer's attention, and he sees no end to this torment unless he plays, so he agrees to the game.

The programmer asks the first question. "What's the distance from the earth to the moon?" The engineer doesn't say a word, but reaches into his wallet, pulls out a five dollar bill and hands it to the programmer.

Now, it's the engineer's turn. He asks the programmer "What goes up a hill with three legs, and comes down on four?"

The programmer looks up at him with a puzzled look. He takes out his laptop computer and searches all of his references. He taps into the Airphone with his modem and searches the net and the Library of Congress. Frustrated, he sends e-mail to his co-workers--all to no avail.

After about an hour, he wakes the Engineer and hands him $100. The engineer politely takes the $100 and turns away to try to get back to sleep. The programmer, more than a little miffed, shakes the engineer and asks "Well, so what's the answer?" Without a word, the engineer reaches into his wallet, hands the programmer $5, and turns away to get back to sleep
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 08:19 am
Morning, Bob. Thanks again for the info on the celeb's. It's difficult to beat those engineers, right? Which one was he, hawk, Josephy Broadey or Casey Jones. Razz

As we await our Raggedy(hope that dentist knows his stuff), here's one about that infamous biblical pair as a tribute to Hedy and Victor.

Neil Sedaka

In the bible one thousand years BC
There's a story of ancient history
Bout a fella who was strong as he could be
Till he met a cheating gal who brought him tradgedy

Chorus
So run Samson run, Delilah's on her way
Run Samson run, you ain't got time to stay
Run Samson run, on your mark you'd better start
I'd sooner trust a hungry lion than a gal with a cheatin' heart

She was a demon, a devil in disguise
He was taken, by the angel in her eyes
That lady barber, was very well equipped
You can bet your bottom dollar he was gonna get clipped

Chorus

Oh Delilah made Sammie's life a sin
And he perished, when the roof fell in
There's a moral, so listen to me pal
There's a little of Delilah in each and every gal

Chorus
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 10:08 am
Good morning.

All smiles today, until after Thanksgiving. No appointments before the holidays. Thank you, Letty. Very Happy

Marie Dressler, Ed Wynn, Hedy Lamarr (wondering where she left the scissors), Dorothy Dandridge, Mary Travers

http://film.virtual-history.com/cigcard/47/thumb/165.jpghttp://www.dougmacaulay.com/kingspud/photos/edwynn.jpghttp://www.ronaldecker.com/hedylamarr3.jpg
http://blackhistory.cmgworldwide.com/flash/content/days/day15.jpghttp://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/images/celebs/t/travem.jpg

Sing along to Dorothy's "Carmen Jones" version of "Habanera". You know the tune. Smile

DAT'S LOVE from "Carmen Jones"

Love's a baby that grows up wild
And he don't do what you want him to
Love ain't nobody's angel-child
And he won't pay any mind to you

One man gave me his diamond stud
And I won't give him a cigarette
One man treats me like I was mud,
And what I got, dat man can get.

Dat's love, dat's love, dat's love, dat's love
You go for me and I'm taboo
But if you're hard to get, I'll go for you
And if I do, then you are through
Oh, my baby, that's the end of you

.... So take your cue
Oh, Don't say I didn't tell you true
.... I told you truly, if I love you,
Dat's the end of you!

When your love bird decides to fly
There ain't no door that you can close
She just pecks you a quick good-bye
And flicks de salt from her tail and goes

If you listen then you get taught
And here's your lesson for today
If I choose you, then you get caught
But once I got you, I go away

Dat's love...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 10:24 am
My, my, folks. Isn't our puppy in good spirits today? Just watch what you eat on Thanksgiving Day, PA.

Great montage, as usual, Raggedy.

Ah, sorry that I don't know the actual tune to Dorothy's song, but I certainly appreciate the message. Ain't that the way everyone plays that old game of love. Eric Berne certainly knew.

I don't know about our listeners, but I always like Peter, Paul, and Mary.

Here's one by them for us erstwhile hippies.

If I had a hammer, I'd hammer in the morning
I'd hammer in the evening, all over this land
I'd hammer out danger, I'd hammer out a warning,
I'd hammer out love between my brothers and my sisters,
all over this land.

If I had a bell, I'd ring it in the morning,
I'd ring it in the evening, all over this land
I'd ring out danger, I'd ring out a warning
I'd ring out love between my brothers and my sisters,
all over this land.

If I had a song, I'd sing it in the morning,
I'd sing it in the evening, all over this land
I'd sing out danger, I'd sing out a warning
I'd sing out love between my brothers and my sisters,
all over this land.

Well I got a hammer, and I got a bell,
and I got a song to sing, all over this land.
It's the hammer of Justice, it's the bell of Freedom,
it's the song about Love between my brothers and my sisters,
all over this land.

It's the hammer of Justice, it's the bell of Freedom,
it's the song about Love between my brothers and my sisters,
all over this land
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 11:23 am
I love Peter, Paul and Mary.

But, I know you will recognize "Habanera" from Carmen. Click on No. 6 at this link, and if you can't bring it up, please let me know.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/radio/B00004VVZC/ref=pd_krex_listen_dp_img/104-7072158-1873569?ie=UTF8&refTagSuffix=dp_img
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 11:34 am
Raggedy, which track? It's 1-12. How marvelous to listen to Bizet
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 11:48 am
It must be track 6, folks.

Carmen [fredonnant et riant au nez de Zuniga]
L'amour est enfant de Bohême,
il n'a jamais, jamais connu de loi;
si tu ne m'aimes pas, je t'aime;
si je t'aime, prends garde à toi!
Si tu ne m'aimes pas, si tu ne m'aimes pas, je t'aime!
Mais si je t'aime, si je t'aime, prends garde à toi

Razz
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 12:05 pm
Yep. I said to click on 6. Are you singing or dancing along now? I am.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 12:15 pm
So you did, PA. I got carried away listening to the Prelude.

Have to tell our audience a funny story. My Irish friend, Al, was in the construction business and one of his workers told him that the prospective owner wanted a bizet in his bathroom. Love it.

That particular aria by Carmen is all in a minor key then progresses to major, and I think it is in four four time.

UhOh. I just got up and danced around the studio to track 6
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 12:32 pm
OLE!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 01:33 pm
Well, Raggedy, since you really made our day with Bizet, (incidentally, the worker meant bidet), here's one for you by Ricky. Know him, PA? Razz

Ricky Martin - Be Careful (Cuidado Con Mi Corazon) Lyrics

Be careful with my heart, you could break it.
Don't take my love for granted, things could change.
Sometimes I go insane. I played the fool and you'll agree.
I'll never be the same without you here with me.

[CHORUS 1:] Cuidado (please be careful) con mi corazon
Me siento algo desnudo Cuidado (please be careful) es mi corazon, mi corazon.

Be careful with my heart You could break it
Don't take my love for granted
Things could change Sometimes I go insane I played the fool
and you'll agree I'll never be the same
Without you here with me

[CHORUS 2:] Cuidado (please be careful) con mi corazon,
Carino no me lastimes Cuidado (please be careful) es mi corazon Mi corazon

If I could reach out to you
Nothing will stop me
Take your head in my hands
Tell me what would you do Kiss your eyes, sing you to sleep
Your voice sounds like a lullaby
Here's my heart, this time to keep
Here's my heart to keep

[REPEAT CHORUS 2 & CHORUS 1]

Well, I am supposed to have a Hispanic man visit me today, so I had better take a quick break.

This is cyber space, WA2K radio
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 06:48 pm
good evening listeners !
you are all invited to come aboard the good ship KANGAROO
"AND PLOW THE ANGRY SEAS " - and no anti-nausea pills aboard :wink:
hbg

http://www.nzlamb.com/content/graphics/sailship.jpg

Quote:
O, once I was a waterman
And lived at home at ease,