WA2K Radio is now on the air

hamburger

Reply Sun 10 Jun, 2007 07:20 pm
and to give you the quote of the day (a/t wikipedia) :

Quote:
"The world is wide; no two days are alike, nor even two hours; neither were there ever two leaves of a tree alike since the creation of the world; and the genuine productions of art, like those of nature, are all distinct from one another. ~ John Constable

http://www.nndb.com/people/726/000084474/john-constable-3-sized.jpg

which makes me all nostalgic - but NOT for the good old days - 'cause

"I Love the Life I Live & Live the Life I Love " .
hbg

btw we saw a beautiful play yesterday afternoon "the red priest or eight ways to say good-bye" about the life and life of love of vivaldi when he was at the french court teaching a beautiful lady to play the violin :wink:
he was quite a character - but died a pauper Crying or Very sad
hbg

http://pages.videotron.com/vivaldi/identite/pictures/vivaldi-debout.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 04:27 am
Good morning, WA2K listeners and contributors.

edgar, there are many songs that I have never heard by Pat Boone, and that's one of them. Thanks, Texas.

hbg, love that one by Lady Day, and that one by Mose Allison is great, Canada.

Great quote of the day, right folks?

Interesting observation about Vivaldi. I think most creative people are destitute because possessing wealth is not a priority.

Here's a poem that is thought provoking, listeners.

A Supermarket in California
Allen Ginsberg

What thoughts I have of you tonight, Walt Whitman, for
I walked down the sidestreets under the trees with a headache
self-conscious looking at the full moon.
In my hungry fatigue, and shopping for images, I went
into the neon fruit supermarket, dreaming of your enumerations!
What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families
shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the
avocados, babies in the tomatoes!--and you, Garcia Lorca, what
were you doing down by the watermelons?

I saw you, Walt Whitman, childless, lonely old grubber,
poking among the meats in the refrigerator and eyeing the grocery
boys.
I heard you asking questions of each: Who killed the
pork chops? What price bananas? Are you my Angel?
I wandered in and out of the brilliant stacks of cans
following you, and followed in my imagination by the store
detective.
We strode down the open corridors together in our
solitary fancy tasting artichokes, possessing every frozen
delicacy, and never passing the cashier.

Where are we going, Walt Whitman? The doors close in
an hour. Which way does your beard point tonight?
(I touch your book and dream of our odyssey in the
supermarket and feel absurd.)
Will we walk all night through solitary streets? The
trees add shade to shade, lights out in the houses, we'll both be
lonely.

Will we stroll dreaming of the lost America of love
past blue automobiles in driveways, home to our silent cottage?
Ah, dear father, graybeard, lonely old courage-teacher,
what America did you have when Charon quit poling his ferry and
you got out on a smoking bank and stood watching the boat
disappear on the black waters of Lethe?

Berkeley, 1955
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 04:45 am
Silhouettes
The Rays

[Written by Frank C Slay Jr and Bob Crewe]

Ah-ah-ah, ah-ah-ah-aaah
Ah-ah-ah, ah-ah-ah-aaah

Took a walk and passed your house
Late last night
All the shades were pulled and drawn
Way down tight
From within a dim light cast
Two silhouettes on the shade
Oh, what a lovely couple they made

Put his arms around your waist
Held you tight
Kisses I could almost taste
In the night
Wondered why I'm not the guy
Whose silhouette's on the shade
I couldn't hide the tears in my eye-eyes

Silhouettes (silhouettes)
Ty-oh, oh-oh
Ty-oh, oh-oh

---- Instrumental Interlude ----

Lost control and rang your bell
I was sore
Let me in or else I'll beat
Down your door
When two strangers who had been
Said to my shock
You're on the wrong blo-ock

Rushed down to your house with wings
On my feet
Loved you like I never loved
You my sweet
Vowed that you and I would be
All of our days
Two silhouettes on the sha-ade

Ty-oh, oh-oh
Ty-oh, oh-oh

Silhouettes
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 05:28 am
Well, edgar, yours is a broken hearted love song, but here is one that most parents eventually say to their kids. Razz

The Silhouettes - Get A Job

Sha na na na, sha na na na na,
Yip yip yip yip yip yip yip yip
Mum mum mum mum mum mum
Get a job Sha na na na, sha na na na na
Every morning about this time
she get me out of my bed
a-crying get a job.
After breakfast, everyday,
she throws the want ads right my way
And never fails to say,
Mum mum mum mum mum mum
And when I get the paper
I read it through and through
And my girl never fails to say
If there is any work for me,
And when I go back to the house
I hear the woman's mouth
Preaching and a crying,
Tell me that I'm lying 'bout a job
That I never could find.
Mum mum mum mum mum mum
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 05:42 am
Jacques-Yves Cousteau
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jacques-Yves Cousteau (11 June 1910 - 25 June 1997) was a French naval officer, explorer, ecologist, filmmaker, scientist, photographer and researcher who studied the sea and all forms of life in water. He co-developed the aqua-lung, pioneered marine conservation and was a member of the Académie française.

Cousteau was born in Saint-André-de-Cubzac, Gironde, to Daniel and Élisabeth Cousteau. He is generally known in France as le commandant Cousteau ("Commander Cousteau"). Worldwide, he was commonly known as Jacques Cousteau or Captain Cousteau.

Brief Personal history

Jacques-Yves Cousteau was born in France to Daniel Cousteau (a lawyer) and Élisabeth Cousteau.

1930: He entered French Navy as the head of the underwater research group.
12 July 1937: He married Simone Melchior.
1938: His son Jean-Michel Cousteau was born.
1940: His son Philippe Cousteau was born.
1967: His grandson Fabien Cousteau (son of Jean-Michel Cousteau) was born.
1979: His son Philippe Cousteau died in a PBY Catalina flying boat crash.
1980: His grandson Philippe Cousteau Jr. (son of Philippe Cousteau) was born
1 December 1990: His first wife Simone died of cancer.
June 1991: He married Francine Triplet. They already had a daughter Diane Cousteau (1980) and a son Pierre-Yves Cousteau (1982) prior to their marriage.
He died at the age of 87 of a heart attack while recovering from a respiratory illness. He is buried in the Cousteau family plot at Saint-André-de-Cubzac Cemetery, Saint-André-de-Cubzac, France.

Marine conservation

In October 1960, a large amount of radioactive waste was going to be discarded in the sea by the European Atomic Energy Community. Cousteau organized a publicity campaign which gained wide popular support. The train carrying the waste was stopped by women and children sitting on the railway, and it was sent back to its origin. The risk was avoided. During this, a French government man had said falsely to a newspaper that Cousteau had approved the dump; Cousteau managed to get the newspaper to issue a correction. In November 1960 in Monaco, an official visit by the French president Charles de Gaulle turned into a debate on the events of October 1960 and on nuclear experiments in general. The French ambassador already had suggested that Prince Rainier avoid the subject, but the president allegedly asked Cousteau in a friendly manner to be kind toward nuclear researchers, to which Cousteau allegedly replied: "No sir, it is your researchers that ought to be kind toward us."

In 1973, along with his two sons, and Frederick Hyman who was the first President, he created the Cousteau Society for the protection of ocean life; it now has more than 300,000 members.

In 1977, together with Peter Scott, he received the UN international environment prize.

In 1985 he received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from Ronald Reagan.

In 1992 he was invited to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, for the United Nations' international conference on environment and development, and then he became a regular consultant for the UN and the World Bank.

Legacy

Cousteau liked to call himself an "oceanographic technician." He was, in reality, a sophisticated showman and lover of nature. His work permitted many people to explore the resources of the "blue continent."

His work also created a new kind of scientific communication, criticised at the time by some academics. The so-called "divulgationism," a simple way of sharing scientific concepts, was soon employed in other disciplines and became one of the most important characteristics of modern TV broadcasting.

In 1975, folk singer John Denver composed the song "Calypso" as a tribute to Cousteau and his research ship Calypso. The song reached the number one position on the Billboard 100 charts.

In his last years, after marrying again, Cousteau became involved in a legal battle with his son Jean-Michel over the use of the Cousteau name, resulting in Jean-Michel Cousteau being ordered by the court not to encourage confusion between his for-profit business and his father's non-profit endeavours. On January 11, 1996, the Calypso sank in Singapore harbour. Cousteau died on June 25, 1997. The Cousteau Society and its French counterpart Equipe Cousteau, which Jacques-Yves Cousteau founded, are still active today.

Pop Culture Tributes and References

In the 14 May 2007 episode of TNT's Inside the NBA, Shaquille O'Neal requested that he be addressed from that point on as "Shaq Cousteau".

The 2004 film, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, directed by Wes Anderson, is regarded as both an homage and send-up of Cousteau's career. It includes a credit and the end that reads "In memory of Jacques-Yves Cousteau and with gratitude to the Cousteau Society, which was not involved in the making of this film."

The John Denver song "Calypso" is a tribute to Cousteau. It was first released on the album Windsong in 1975.

In summer of 1997, just after Captain Cousteau died, John Denver wrote another song to tribute his late friend's effect on the world, called "Blue Water World." This song was never officially recorded, as Denver himself died later that same year.

Gwar wrote a tribute song to Jacques-Yves Cousteau.

In Star Trek: The Next Generation, a shuttlecraft carried aboard USS Enterprise NCC-1701-D bears his name.

In the Farscape episode "Crichton Kicks", Regarding Sikozu's Leviathan hunting contract Crichton says "So, you just Jacques Cousteau your way upstream to where they die."

Two New Age composers, Vangelis (who was heavily involved with Cousteau in the 1990s) and Jean Michel Jarre, released two albums including original numbers honoring Jacques-Yves Cousteau, titled Cousteau's Dreams (2000) and En Attendant Cousteau (1990), respectively.

The French protagonist in the 1963 Film The Pink Panther was named Inspector Jacques Clouseau.

In an episode of the TV show "Friends", Phoebe thinks she has subconsciously developed a crush on Jacques Cousteau.

In an episode of the cartoon TV show Pinky and the Brain, Brain claims to be Jacques Cousteau when his submarine is radioed and asked who it was driving it.

In an episode of the Earthworm Jim cartoon, titled "The Sword of Righteousness", Psy-Crow remarks to Jim (just before squashing him with a spectral hand): "You're goin' down like Jacques Cousteau!".

In an episode of the Tracy Ulman Show, on the Simpsons short "Bathtime", Bart Simpsons mimics Jacques Cousteau in the bath tub, first aired on 03/08/1989.

In the movie Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, Courtney Cox' character corrects her boss' mistake of calling a dolphin a fish instead of a mammal. Angry, he retorts, "Thank you, Miss Jacques Cousteau".

American poet Adrienne Rich refers in her poem "Diving into the Wreck" to Cousteau and his "assiduous team" published in 1973.

The Incubus song "Nice to Know You" features the lyric " Deeper than the deepest Cousteau would ever go".

The Blue Oyster Cult song "Perfect Water" features the lyric "Do you know Jacques Cousteau, when they said on the radio that he hears bells in random order, deep beneath the perfect water?"

The Jurassic 5 song "Red Hot" features the lyric "The Jacques Cousteau with flow".

The Wu-Tang Clan song "Da Mystery of Chessboxin'" features the lyric "Jacques Cousteau could never get this low," sung by Ol' Dirty Bastard. A Jedi Mind Tricks song, "Get This Low," samples the line.

The Andrew Bird song "Lull" features the lyric "Being alone/It can be quite romantic/Like Jacques Cousteau/Underneath the Atlantic".

The Ukrainian band 5'nizza song "Морячок"(lit. sailor) features the lyric in Russian "Как Жак-Ив Кусто/Километров на сто/В батискафе пьет Нескафе..." (roughly translated, "Like Jacques-Yves Cousteau/100 kilometers below/In the bathyscaphe he drinks Nescafe...")
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 05:45 am
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 05:49 am
Gene Wilder

Birth name Jerome Silberman
Born June 11, 1933 (1933-06-11)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Notable roles Leo Bloom in
The Producers
Willy Wonka in
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein in
Young Frankenstein
Jim (The Waco Kid) in Blazing Saddles
Emmy Awards

Outstanding Guest Actor - Comedy Series
2003 Will & Grace

Gene Wilder (born Jerome Silberman on June 11, 1933) is an Academy Award-nominated American comedic actor who is perhaps best known, not only for his role as Willy Wonka, but also for his collaborations with Mel Brooks, most notably Blazing Saddles, The Producers, and Young Frankenstein.

Biography

Born in Milwaukee, the son of Russian Jewish immigrants, Wilder studied drama at the University of Iowa, where he was a member of the Alpha Epsilon Pi Fraternity, graduated in 1955, and later attended the Bristol Old Vic Theatre School in the UK. He served in the United States Army from 1956 to 1958.

Returning to the United States, Wilder sought work in the theater, supporting himself by driving a limousine and teaching fencing. His career started with the theater in various off-Broadway shows before making it on the Great White Way. It was on Broadway that he had a particularly good year in 1961 with the plays "The Complaisant Lover" and "Roots", and received the Clarence Derwent Award. It was several years later when casting for Mother Courage and Her Children in 1964 with actress Anne Bancroft when his career received an even greater boost; comedian Mel Brooks, whom Bancroft was dating at the time, took a liking to Wilder and cast him in several films.

Wilder's first big part was in Bonnie and Clyde where he played an undertaker abducted by the couple. Perhaps his best known roles are as Willy Wonka in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Dr Friederich Frankenstein in Young Frankenstein and as Leo Bloom in The Producers.

In the late 1970s and 1980s he appeared in a number of movies with Richard Pryor, making them the most prolific inter-racial comedy double act in movies during the period. However, Wilder later admitted the two were not as close as people believed. In fact, in his autobiography Wilder said many negative things about Pryor. He said that his troubled co-star's drug addiction made him very difficult and unpleasant to work with. However, he also maintains that he felt he had a better chemistry with Pryor as a co-star than with anyone else he has worked with.[citation needed]

In 1979 Wilder starred alongside Harrison Ford in the comedy The Frisco Kid. He also wrote and starred in Murder in a Small Town and its sequel, The Lady in Question as a theater producer turned amateur detective Larry "Cash" Carter.

Wilder was married to Saturday Night Live actress Gilda Radner from 1984 until her death from ovarian cancer in 1989. Since then he has remained active in promoting cancer awareness and treatment and has retired from acting. Wilder himself was hospitalized with non-Hodgkin lymphoma in 1999 and made a full recovery in 2000.

On March 1, 2005, Wilder released his highly-personal memoir Kiss Me Like A Stranger, an account of his life covering everything from his childhood, when his mother died of heart disease, up to his wife's death.

In early 2007 Wilder published his first novel, set during World War I, entitled My French Whore.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 05:55 am
Adrienne Barbeau

Birth name Adrienne Jo Barbeau
Born June 11, 1945 (1945-06-11) (age 62)
Sacramento, California
USA
Spouse(s) John Carpenter, Billy Van Zandt
Notable roles Carol Tranior in Maude (TV series)
Stevie Wayne in The Fog
Maggie in Escape from New York
Wilma "Billie" Northrup in Creepshow
Ruthie in Carnivàle

Adrienne Jo Barbeau (born June 11, 1945) is an American television, film, character and musical theater actress. She came to prominence through her roles as Beatrice Arthur's divorced daughter, Carol Trainer, in the 1970s sitcom, Maude, and in several early 1980s horror and science fiction films.

Biography

Early life

Barbeau was born in Sacramento, California to a French-Canadian father and an Armenian-American mother.[1] In her autobiography, Barbeau says that she first caught the showbiz bug while entertaining troops at army bases throughout South East Asia touring with the San Jose Civic Light Opera.[2]

Career

In the late 1960s, Barbeau moved to New York City and worked "for the mob"[2] as a go-go dancer, as well as appearing Off-Broadway in a "nudie musical" called Stag Movie, before making her Broadway debut in Fiddler on the Roof, playing Tevye's daughter, Hodel. She has since starred in over 25 musicals and plays, among them Women Behind Bars, The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, and Grease, as tough-girl Rizzo, for which she received a Theater Guild award and a 1972 Tony Award nomination.

During the 1970s, Barbeau had a thriving career on television, first appearing as the daughter of Bea Arthur's character on the series, Maude, which ran from 1972 to 1978. In her autobiography There Are Worse Things I Could Do she remarked "What I didn't know is that when I said [my lines], I was usually walking down a flight of stairs and no one was even listening to me. They were just watching my breasts precede me." She was also cast in numerous made-for-television films and guest appearances on cleavage-propelled shows such as The Love Boat, Fantasy Island, Valentine Magic on Love Island and Battle of the Network Stars. In her autobiography she claimed "I actually thought CBS asked me to be on Battle of the Network Stars because they thought I was athletic. My husband clued me in: Who cared if I won the race, as long as I bounced when I ran?"[2]

The popularity of Barbeau's 1978 cheesecake poster confirmed her status as a sex symbol. While reviewers have sometimes criticized her acting ability,[3] Barbeau's popularity stemmed partly from what critic Joe Bob Briggs referred to as the "two enormous talents on that woman".[4] and her typecasting as a "tough broad". Barbeau refused offers to appear topless in Playboy, although shots from an early nude shoot (in which she appeared topless) appeared in High Society (July 1980), and in Off Broadway plays (early in her career), and in films she has appeared topless as well. Despite her initial success, she said at the time that she thought of Hollywood as a "flesh market", and that she would rather appear in films that "explore the human condition" and "deal with issues".[5]

Barbeau was cast by her then-husband, director John Carpenter, in his 1980 horror film, The Fog, which was her first theatrical film appearance. The film was released in on February 1, 1980 and was a theatrical success, grossing over $21 million in the United States,[6] and establishing Barbeau as a genre film star. She subsequently appeared in a number of early-1980s horror and science fiction films, a number of which have now become cult classics, including Creepshow and Swamp Thing. She also appeared in the high-grossing comedy, The Cannonball Run (1981). Throughout the remainder of the 1980s, Barbeau mostly starred in low-budget fare, like the spoof Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death co-starring Bill Maher. In 1986, she starred in Tomes & Talismans, a library skills series presented as a serialized science fiction story.

Recent career

Barbeau continues to expose her talents in new fields ranging from a one-woman Off-Broadway show, to hosting a talk show, to releasing an album of folk songs. In the 1990s, Barbeau mostly appeared in made-for-television films, as well as playing Oswald's mother on The Drew Carey Show and Catwoman on Batman: The Animated Series and Gotham Girls. She also worked as a television talk show host and a weekly book reviewer for KABC talk radio in Los Angeles. In 1999, she guest starred in the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episode "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges" as Romulan Kimara Cretak.

In 1998, Barbeau released her debut album as a folk singer, Adrienne Barbeau. From 2003 to 2005, Barbeau starred on the HBO series Carnivàle. From March 2006 to May 2006, she starred as Judy Garland in the off-Broadway play The Property Known as Garland, written by her husband Billy Van Zandt.

Personal life

Barbeau was married to director John Carpenter from January 1, 1979 to 1984; the two met on the set of his 1978 television movie, Someone's Watching Me! and Barbeau later appeared in his films The Fog and Escape from New York. The couple have a son, John Cody (born May 7, 1984). During their marriage, the couple remained "totally outside Hollywood's social circles".[5]

Barbeau married her current husband, Billy Van Zandt, in 1994. She gave birth to twins, Walker Steven and William Dalton, on March 11, 1997 at the age of 51.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 05:56 am
TODAY'S STOCK MARKET
RESULTS ARE IN !

They are as follows. . .
Helium was up, feathers were down.
Paper was stationery.
Fluorescent tubing was dimmed in light trading.
Knives were up sharply.
Cows steered into a bull market.
Pencils lost a few points.
Hiking equipment was trailing.
Elevators rose, while escalators continued their slow decline.
Weights were up in heavy trading.
Light switches were off.
Mining equipment hit rock bottom.
Diapers remain unchanged.
Shipping lines stayed at an even keel.
The market for raisins dried up.
Caterpillar stock inched up a bit.
Sun peaked at midday.
Balloon prices were inflated.
And Scott Tissue touched a new bottom.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 07:20 am
Good morning WA2K. Very Happy

Faces to match:

http://www.salon.com/ent/masterpiece/2002/07/15/silent_world/story.jpghttp://www.army.mod.uk/img/lightinfantry/richardtodd.jpg
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41245000/jpg/_41245811_wildergetty203.jpghttp://scifiblog.net/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/200px-Adrienne_Barbeau.jpg

Wonder if there was anyone who didn't like the movie,"Young Frankenstein". (I loved every minute of it. )
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 08:20 am
Thanks, Bob of Boston, for once again giving us the background on the famous folks. Learned quite a bit today, and I am certain our listeners did the same. Loved your DOW hashed metaphors, buddy, and I have never seen the stockmarked wilder. (apologies to Gene)

Ah, Raggedy. Great quartet of notable faces today, PA. Does it seem to you that Cousteau and Barbeau are go togethers? I did love Young Frankenstein(FrAHkensteen) Razz

Well, we're looking at Jacques, Richard, Gene, and Adrienne.

What a tragedy concerning the suicides in Richard Todd's family.

Here's a poem for Todd's movie, The Hasty Heart.

The Hasty Heart

They speak of winter, the tears of men,
A long time coming, the hard rains.
Shed by the resurrections of memory.
Shells have men, forts for grief and affection
Daily pride stands watch, walking the parapets
Armed and girded against the savage hordes
of men.

Talc within granite, the lonely vigil
Ordered by honor, or pride, or fear.
Required by class, demanded by tribe.
Weep for the keeper of duty,
The child sent to the spirit lodge or cave
To be transformed into a man, the departure
from Eden.

A heart not hasty enters the gates
And mounts the battlements
And looks never thereafter within,
But stares into the rain and wind,
Blaming the drops on the sky,
Not on the weakness
of love.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 08:45 am
America Will Eat You lyrics (greg Brown)

There's only so many times you can eat that
rubber food
'Till You're gonna say, Well, I'm eating it.
I guess it must be good
There's only so many times you can sit
and watch tv--
Stay detached and think it's stupid
and that you're somehow free

America will eat you
America will eat you up.

There's only so many times you can be
treated like dirt at the airport or the bank
'Til you're gonna say, Yeah, you're right
I'm a bum I'm a dog I'm a roach
Thank you Thank you Thanks
Only so many times you can see some slick
jerk rave about God
'Til you're gonna give it up and go to sleep
and slip into a pod--

We're tempting little morsels on the
corporation's fork
If we show up with the right bits and bytes,
they'll fatten us like pork
And America will stretch her maw and show
us her white teeth
It's only when it's much too late we see
the cancer underneath

Everything has a number
We all must drink our cup
All I ask is to know when my number's up
Looking at these corpses talk
and laugh it up on tv
All I want is to never have to ask,
Lord, which corpse is me?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 08:52 am
Wow! that's a powerful song, dys, but we could put our faith in small hills and say...

Faith Hill - I Ain't Gonna Take It Anymore Lyrics

You've worn the soles off both your shoes
Walkin' on me like ya do
This ain't what forever's for
And i ain't gonna take it
I ain't gonna take it anymore

I've cried and begged and cursed and prayed
But nothing's worked, nothing's changed
No way i win when you keep score

[Chorus:]
I'm gonna crawl out from this stone that i've been under
To see the light and breathe the air
And you'll have a million reasons why i shouldn't leave you
But for the first time in a long time i don't care

I guess on one hand you should laugh
'cause i've said the same things in the past
But this time one hand's on the door
I ain't gonna take it, anymore

[repeat chorus]

Now i can't help but think of you
Lookin' back in my rear view
But i've been down that road before
I ain't gonna take it
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 01:10 pm
found two great "quotes of the day" :

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.
e e cummings
US poet (1894 - 1962)

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.
P. G. Wodehouse (aka hamburger Laughing )British humorist & novelist in US (1881 - 1975)

(PG is still one of my favourite writers ; i've read many of
his books more than once and still get a chuckle reading them again .
the story of his life it quite interesting too !)

and a song to go along with it :

Quote:
Senor Blues

Horace Silver, Taj Mahal

Senor Blues is what they call him,
way down Mexicali way
Senoritas fallin' for him,
with the hope that he will stay
By the time that they love him,
Senor Blues done gone away

Well he's tall and good lookin'
and he always knows just what to say
Yes he's tall and good lookin'
and he always knows just what to say
By the time that they love him,
Senor Blues done gone away

by Horace Silver

0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 01:24 pm
Hey, hamburger. We all love e.e.cummings, and that is one of his more serious quotes.

I didn't realize that Wodehouse said that, but we love it, Canada. Your song is wonderful as well.

Speaking of Canada, I do hope our palindromic djjd returns soon.

You know, listeners, I am beginning to believe in genetic memory. and hbg just triggered mine.

I think my brother sang this.

Hank Locklin

Mexicali Rose stop crying I'll come back to you some sunny day

Every night you know that I'll be pining every hour a year while I'm away

Dry those big brown eyes and smile dear

Vanish all those tears and please don't cry

Kiss me once again and hold me Mexicali Rose goodbye

Now tell me why I should know that.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 01:38 pm
i'm sure yogi berra quotes always find an appreciative audience Laughing
when it comes to quotes , he can hold his own - even amongst those that don't appreciate him Laughing (and i made that up all by myself !) .
hbg

Quote:
I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did.
Yogi Berra

and a song for all the a2k'ers meeting in NYC - and those that wish they could be there too !

Quote:
New York, New York

Frank Sinatra

Start spreading the news
I'm leaving today
I want to be a part of it, New York, New York
These vagabond shoes
Are longing to stray
And make a brand new start of it
New York, New York
I want to wake up in the city that never sleeps
To find I'm king of the hill, top of the heap
These little town blues
Are melting away
I'll make a brand new start of it
In old New York
If I can make it there
I'll make it anywhere
It's up to you, New York, New York.
I want to wake up in the city that never sleeps
To find I'm king of the hill, top of the heap
These little town blues
Are melting away
I'll make a brand new start of it
In old New York
If I can make it there
I'll make it anywhere
It's up to you, New York, New York.

0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 01:50 pm
Oh, my goodness, hamburger. I have never heard that Yogi quote. Love it, buddy. I think he said deja vu all over again and that reminds me of Frank Apisa. He had a situation some time back, and now he has experienced another episode. There's something awry in that guy's temporal lobe as that is where the deja vu sense arises. Hope he is all right, but he is soooooo stubborn.

Just found out that Hank Locklin is the oldest surviving member of the Grand Old Opry.

Everyone has done this, folks, but in no way has it one thing to do with Frank.

Please help me I'm falling in love with you
Close the door to temptation don't let me walk thru
For I should't want you
But darling I do
Please help me falling and that would be sin
Close the door to temptation don't let me walk in
Turn away from me darling
I'm begging you true

abd another quote for the day.

From Shakespeare's Twelfth Night, 1601:

Malvalio:
In my stars I am above thee; but be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 02:05 pm
Quote:
Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours.
Yogi Berra

Shocked

german chancellor adenauer - first head of germany's government after WW II - felt differently .
reminded by his secretary that he should be attending the funeral of some former industrialist friend , he apparently looked out the window and noticed that the weather was rather lousy .
a/c to history , he said :
" no need for me to go ; he wouldn't have come to my funeral on such a rainy day ! " - and did not go !
he was well known for his "bon motes" .
hbg

but let me finish on a happier note :

Quote:
I'm Just a Lucky So and So (MY SENTIMENTS , EXACTLY !)
Diana Krall, Billie Holiday

When I walk down the street
Seems everyone I meet
Gives me a friendly hello
I guess I'm just a lucky so and so

The birds in every tree
All sing so merrily
They sing wherever I go
I guess I'm just a lucky so and so

Well if you should ask me
the amount in my bank account
I must confess that I'm slipping
But that don't bother me, cause confidentially
I've got a dream that's pippin

And when my day is through
Each night I hurry to
A love that's faithful I know
I guess I'm just a lucky so an so

0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 02:52 pm
Hi Letty and all in radio land.

This is for Dys:

I Think Of You Lyrics
» Tata Young

When I'm down and all alone
When nothing seems to matter
When I lose my hope
When I'm sad and confused

When it all gets turned around and 'round
I can't seem to reach for solid ground
When everything I've believed in seems untrue
All I have to do

[Chorus]
Is think of you
I think of you and it's gone
Like you chase away the storm
Making it all okay
I think of you
I think of you and I'm strong
And I know I can go on
It's like you set me free
When life gets the best of me
I just think of you

Now I know what love means
And whatever life may hold for me
Through the fire
Through the rain I believe

Cause there's nothing I can't bear
Knowing that you will be there
If I fall I won't break
Through it all I'll make it through
Cause all I have to do

[Chorus]

And when I think I'm all alone
I can't see the way to go
Lost in the rain of my own tears
To wash away the pain and fear

[Chorus]

For the good times and the bad times
I just think of you
Cause you know you get the best of me
I just think of you
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 11 Jun, 2007 03:36 pm
Hey, hamburger. I would say Adenauer had more than a good wit, buddy.

Thanks for that Diana Krall song, as I have come to really like her. and here's one of my favorites.

Midnight Sun Lyrics
Diana Krall

Your lips were like a red and ruby chalice
Warmer than the summer night
The clouds were like an alabaster palace
Rising to a snowy height
Each star its own Aurora Borealis
Suddenly you held me tight
I could see the midnight sun

I can't explain
The silver rain that found me
Or was that a moonlit veil
The music of the Universe
Around me
Or was that a nightingale
And then your arms miraculously found me
Suddenly the sky turned pale
and I saw the midnight sun

Was there ever such a night
It's a thrill
I still don't quite believe
But after you were gone
There was still some
Stardust on my sleeve

The flame of it may dwindle
To an ember
And the stars forget to shine
And we may see the meadow in December
Icy white and crystaline
But oh my darling always I'll remember
When your lips were close to mine
And we saw the Midnight Sun
The Midnight Sun

Diane, Welcome back. Ah, that song indicates that dys is your kind of tranquilizer. Why am I not surprised, folks. <smile>

Lovely lyrics, gal. I just know he will be pleased.
0 Replies