What grosses you out?

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2002 10:53 pm
This topic came about because Craven's artwork (which I'm sure is very good) grossed me out -- so much so that I can't even look at it long enough to decide how good it really is. I've also noticed that movies that I used to be able to watch with only an occasional 'yuck' now cause me to get up and leave the room. Also, I can't watch any medical procedures on tv that are the least bit realistic. In short, I've turned into a wuss.

What grosses you out and do you find that you get more or less grossed out by stuff as you get older?

Incidentally, my daughter who wouldn't watch 'Mickey's Christmas Carol' because it was too scary when she was little now loves Stephen King novels and movies, The X-files, etc. Maybe we've just switched.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 10,770 • Replies: 117
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2002 11:01 pm
I doubt I've gotten more sensitive with age, but I'm sure a lot more willing to walk out on it. As to what "it" is, i'm not sure. Not on screen violence, though. I used to love the old Bruce Lee movies. More in the way it's presented, I guess.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 27 Oct, 2002 11:12 pm
Imagery doesn't disgust me. The things that disgust me are usually smells or situations.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Mon 28 Oct, 2002 07:36 pm
Smells? Interesting.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2002 06:38 am
I am such a major wuss - blood and injury phobia - that I am actually forcing myself to watch some gory scenes to help me desensitize. This is mainly because I am concerned that I might be so phobic at an accident scene that I would be unable to help, so I am actually getting tougher.

However - I usually choose programs/films that are actually - in my view - very good to do this desensitizing with. I have become even more extremely intolerant of mindless violence films - like lots of Bruce Willis type films - (yes - I know he has branched out lately - you know the types of films I mean) - where there is massive, meaningless and antiseptic or voyeuristic violence - this is now quite physically repulsive to me - can't stand it.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2002 12:39 pm
Smells..most certainly smells
Usually just the bad ones though Wink
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2002 01:05 pm
You know, Bandylu, it's interesting that you've noted a change in your reactions--i spent three years in the U.S. Army Medical Corps, and worked in civilian hospital emergency rooms for almost three years after that. The hubris and arrogance of doctors & nurses drove me away--most are good, hard-working people, but the bad ones are too numerous, and spoil the work environment.

Which is not to the point--even with that sort of experience, i have reached a point where scenes of death and dismemberment, and film of surgery--those sorts of things gross me out. Perhaps one gets too familiar with such things, and just no longer wants to have to deal with them . . . hmmmm . . .

okbye
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2002 07:56 pm
Your theory of overdosing may have something to it, sentana. I don't have any specific real life experience like yours, but there is certainly enough horror in the real world (and all too visible on the nightly news) to have turned me off. I notice also that the older I get the more I would like life to be simple and pleasant. It's not going to happen, but I keep hoping!
0 Replies

earthmother

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2002 08:12 pm
ick
what gets to me is someone hocking a big loogy on the sidewalk or anywhere and men sratching their privates in public. Shocked
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2002 08:35 pm
Just like dlowan, I have the blood and injury phobia. It's a big secret, though. Don't tell my kids. I think that I'm afraid because I wouldn't know how to help. Luckily, I've never been one of the first to arrive at an accident scene, so it's not been put to the test.

My daughter was just like yours, Bandylu. If she even thought that a scary party was coming up, she'd be out of the room in a flash and halfway up the stairs.

Hospitals have always grossed me out. I tried to overcome it as a teenager by volunteering as a candystriper for a few years. It didn't work at all, probably made it worse.

Action movies, in general, and specifically those filled with gratuitous violence. Isn't there enough in the real world?
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2002 09:30 pm
This'll sound kind of strange, but you'll soonbegin to expect that from me!!

I can deal with blood, guts, bugs and all of the standard things that usually gross people out,..no problem,...but if you mix a can of tuna into macaroni and cheese anywhere near me,..the smell will send me heaving. (my brother does this alot,..that's why I mention it)
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Wed 30 Oct, 2002 09:39 pm
My son has the same reaction to hard boiled eggs.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 31 Oct, 2002 05:55 am
When I was dating my husband, I had two vases full of eucalyptus leaves. Now I LIKE eucalyptus. They have a great fragrance, and they last FOREVER.

I was told in no uncertain terms, that if I wanted to see him, I would have to remove those "damn leaves". Seems that the smell was making him want to barf.

To this day, if we are in a place that sells eucalyptus, my husband can "whiff it out" 100 feet away!
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2002 09:10 pm
"The Operation" was a show that grossed me out. I almost lost it when during a facelift the surgeon floofed out this woman's face like a bedsheet.

I am a horror book and movie fan and I can watch or read most anything fictional. It's the reality of today that is the problem. On "Real TV," broken bones and flopping arms do it. I have been spared most real sights and smells.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 1 Nov, 2002 09:22 pm
Llama spit. Well, more like projectile llama vomit. It's what they do when they get mad. You REALLY don't want to make a llama mad. Trust me on this. I used to work in a zoo.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2002 06:05 am
bermbits- Funny, I LOVED "The Operation". In fact, I was "sold" on one of the pocedures they conducted on the show. But show me blood and gore in a movie, especially when it is well done, and I get sick!
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sat 2 Nov, 2002 07:59 am
SKINHEADS WHO HAVE MORE HAIR THAN BRAINS.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 09:12 am
I really cannot stand cutting white bread,especially French or Italian with a knife that has dry ryebread all over the blade.It makes me cold,shivery.I donĀ“t suppose that many of you have had the opportunity of experiencing this but I do NOT recommend it
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 03:29 pm
For me, also, smells are a lot worse than sights. I can force myself to overcome uneasiness and to look at just about anything that would turn some people to jelly. But nasty smells will make me barf in a blink. I once had to wintess an autopsy (post mortem), Watching the docs cutting the skin away from the corpse. making those awful long incisions and removing the organs didn't bother me a bit. But I had to hold my breath to keep from keeling over. The corpse was a couple of days old and stank!
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Tue 5 Nov, 2002 03:43 pm
Gross out? Well, I enjoy the art of H.R. Geiger and RCrumb, so it's not in "art". Smells? I can hold my breath a long time. I'm not too crazy about moths and spiders but I guess that doesn't qualify as grossout, more like phobic.

Lessee, once I saw my son's brain peeking through a skull fracture, and then there was the time that his bicep was ripped open a bit by a nail and I saw thru layers of muscle. Oh yes, projectile vomiting is not too pleasant.

Actually, I revert to visuals that I really, really, really wish I had not seen and once seen, can never forget. Like I heard from a comedian once =
"M U S T
E R A S E
T A P E,
M U S T
E R A S E ..."
0 Replies