Psychology Test

SCoates

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 03:18 pm
I have already taken the test. I disagreed with the professor on several points, and I want to get everyone's opinions. Here are some of the questions that I missed on the test. I would like to know what your answers would be, before I offer any information that might affect your opinions.

Define: Psychosocial Moritorium

Define: Basic Dualism (multiple answers if you have multiple definitions)

Describe: Why do couples who cohabitate before marriage have a higher divorce rate.

And, lastly, list: Factors that affect social cognition.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,145 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Letty

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 04:02 pm
I do NOT like multiple choice tests, SCoates because I can always find an answer that isn't among the choices.

However, psychosocial has to do with the psychology of social groups, so I would guess that a psychosocial moratorium is a suspension of that line of thought.

I'm not certain about basic dualism, but I think it has to do with the two sides of a certain philosophy.

Guess, here. But I would say there are those who play together and stay together, and there are those who feel that a trial of living with someone first, then later marrying them would be twofold. I like my daughter's interpretation of this one. There are people who live together and don't make it; there are people who are married and don't make it; but trying the third option might need to be explored: people who are married and don't live together constitutes the best option of all.

As for the factors that affect social cognition.

The way that people think given the thoughts, folkways and mores of the community in which they live.

The way that people think given their nationality

The way that people think given their family background
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 04:43 pm
From Google

<<One of Erikson's suggestions for adolescence in our society is the psychosocial moratorium. He suggests you take a little "time out." If you have money, go to Europe. If you don't, bum around the U.S. Quit school and get a job. Quit your job and go to school. Take a break, smell the roses, get to know yourself. We tend to want to get to "success" as fast as possible, and yet few of us have ever taken the time to figure out what success means to us. >>
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 05:12 pm
fresco, do you mean Erik Erickson? My word. If I remember correctly, he was the ages and stages man who had no impressive credentials. Of all the three that I studied: Freud, Piaget, Erickson, I was more impressed by this man than the other two.

Well, when SCoates awakens, perhaps he will provide us with the test.....

Damn. Trying to get Brits to respond to a film category is like carrying coals to NewCastle. <smile>
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 05:14 pm
Dualism in philosophy is often the concept of mind and body being seperate.

Mind and body or body and soul being two seperate things.

But that is in philosophy and that might not be the same in psychology.

I have also heard dualism used in multiple other ways within philosophy.

TF
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 05:45 pm
As I recall, psychology was once a branch of philosophy, but became an entity unto its own because philosophy could offer theories but no proof.

I think that social psychology is too much lumping. It's either psychology or sociology. Ah, well. I love discussing these things; takes my mind off poetry...but just for a little while.....<smile>

That idea of mind and body being separate is a lot like Christian Science. I suspect that if we search back far enough, we'll find that we all have a well spring of consensus.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 10:10 am
Whats a film category?
This Brit will have a go if thats explained.

spendius.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 10:16 am
Sorry, spendius. I had a thread about the most watched films in England. I had hoped that you Brits would respond and make a comment.
0 Replies

annifa

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 10:19 am
traa la la laaaaa

boo! hahaha. umm... yes. sorry what?

maybe i should read these topics before i post on them.. i may start to annoy people. ooh i think i should make up my own thread to talk nonsense on...
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 05:04 am
Letty-If you are talking about movies at cinemas the position as far as I can tell is that juvenalia is the best seller as it is with most else.I don't know anybody who ever goes to the cinema.I met a bloke a few years back who had seen Eraserhead forty times.Once was almost too much for me.
The opening scene in Saturday Night and Sunday Morning is one of the inspirations for the CPD thread.Full volume is required.
Coronation Street has most viewers.It gets about l6 million veiwers per episode.Its surreal man but it does take a while to get the drift.Few people know but it feeds a lot on our top comic VIZ and Shakespeare.
PC has ruined the job I'm afraid.
The film industry here is very much like what I suspect the CPD to be.Feeding on grants behind a thick fog of hype.
American movies are still the best.When movies are discussed in the pub it is always yours that are talked about and your stars.

Best wishes

spendius.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 05:25 am
1041236 (S Coates)
Hi.
Psychosocial Moratorium-
Nobody knows anything serious about their neighbours workmates lovers friends etc.

Basic Dualism-
See Armstrong's brain wrecker A Materialist Theory of Mind.Blow the impertinent testers out of the polluted water.

Divorce-
Seven year itch.It kicks in 7 years after fornication starts so courtship involving fornication reduces the period between the official ceremony and the divorce compared to the same time scale for virgins.

Social cognition-

The senses and self interest

spendius.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 06:59 am
Hollywood's psychology is alive and well and living in England then? Well, spendius, I must confess that I have never seen one of the productions that you have mentioned, but I do understand that "Lady Killers", a remake of The Lavender Hill Mob, is not what the original was.

Where in the world is SCoates?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 09:50 am
Letty-

Judging from the test it might be New Zealand.It must be somewhere where the social workers have only just pecked themselves out of the shells.We have much more refined methods than that stuff in order to circumvent lies and they don't work either.

Blimey.You haven't seen Eraserhead!!!!!!!What about Alphaville?And Amarcord?Renaldo and Clara then.Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf.That's quite funny.

spendius.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 10:00 am
Let's see, spendius. Which Virginia Woolf is that? Certainly not the Burton-Taylor one, 'cause it wasn't very funny.

As to the others, nope! I was rather shocked to learn that Virginia Woolf descended into madness and took her own life, however.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 05:14 am
Letty-

Well-we all thought Burton/Taylor thing was hilarious.

I've forgotten.What was the setting.?

spendius.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 4 Dec, 2004 07:59 am
The setting? I vaguely remember that it was in the home of Burton and Taylor and the entire thing was rather true confessionish. I suppose, in a way, that it was a spoof on academic life, but I don't recall laughing out loud. In keeping with SCoates psychology test, I would guess that the entire film has to do with the unusual world view of the campus cloistered.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 04:40 am
Letty-

Serendipity-The play was on the radio here last night.I didn't listen.No Liz.
Yes-they do have an unusual world view.Its normal for people who live by eating little bits of everybody else which are small enough to go unnoticed.They would take take big bites if they could.They always did.They always will too if nobody helps hold them down.

spendius.
0 Replies