Jinx

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 05:13 pm
My question to all of you is this, what is a jinx? Are they real at all, at any level? Opinons, data, anything wanted.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,041 • Replies: 11
No top replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 06:22 pm
Some people call me superstitious. I believe in the "jinx" I use it everyday as a manipulating my life kinda tool. I have a theory on it I follow everyday, but no one seems to understand it and i'm not a very good explainer.....can't wait to see some other responses, maybe I can relate!
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 07:09 am
Jinxes will always be real until you take control of the power that is your psychie
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 07:13 am
Cyracuz wrote:
Jinxes will always be real until you take control of the power that is your psychie

I agree with Cyracuz. As long as people think that things happen outside of them, they will believe in jinxes. Of course, there are unforseen circumstances in life, but that is the luck of the draw. (Psst...............I am of the opinion, that in the vast majority of cases people make their own luck!).
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 07:31 am
I have the power to use the jinx for my benefit!
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 08:37 am
When I think of Jinx and the etymology of Jinx related back to withcraft. It is alot like 'pointing the bone' in the indiginous people of Australia. You can effect your enimies by Jinxing them.

jinx (n.)
1911, Amer.Eng., from 17c. jyng "a charm, a spell," originally "wryneck," a bird used in witchcraft and divination, from L. iynx "wryneck," from Gk. iynx. The verb is 1917 in Amer.Eng., from the noun.

Since I am not a believer in Witchcraft - or believing that any one person has control over others outcome - I am loathe to believe that I can jinx anyone.

Most conceptions of jixes are history related. If a sports team has lost three times when it snowed in a particular stadium they might say they were jinxed when it came to playing the snow. If this cintinues for some time they might even give it a name and call it a curse. A curse seems to be a strong jinx.

curse
O.E. curs "a prayer that evil or harm befall one," of uncertain origin, perhaps O.Fr. curuz "anger," or L. cursus "course." Connection with cross is unlikely. No similar word exists in Gmc., Romance, or Celtic. Meaning "to swear profanely" is from c.1230. Curses as a histrionic exclamation is from 1885. The curse "menstruation" is from 1930.

In my opinion jinxes and curses are cases of manifest destiny.

Unless the posters above are thinking something else - I guess they work witchcraft on a daily basis and I shouldn't make them made - lest they jinx me! Wink

Perhaps that is why stand up for pessimism has a black cat in his avatar...

TTF
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 10:20 am
Hee hee. Standup is a girl, ttf.

Hollywood is known to be really tuned in to a "jinx". The movie, Misfits, starring Montgomery Cliff, Clark Gable, and Marilyn Monroe was viewed as being jinxed because all three died after making that film.

From time to time, I think we all feel that we have more "bad luck" than we deserve.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 10:54 am
Seems to me there was a Tex and Jinx on the radio back in the 50's...and Jinx was real!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 11:28 am
Voodoo is one of, if not the, world's oldest religions.

In Voodoo, it is believed that we are all part of the One and that no event is solitary. Spells of all kinds, including "hexs" or "jinx" are not unheard of.

I believe that it is possible to give an item the attribute of power - this really happens in every religion. To believers, your disbelief doesn't make it any less true or powerful.

So, my advice is to beware a jinx.
0 Replies

CarbonSystem

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 01:48 pm
Letty, any bad luck is too much. haha
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 02:06 pm
You know, CS, I often think that when bad things happen to good folks, we look around for someone, or some thing to blame. It's a natural part of life. That's how superstitions always begin.

Like boomer says, Voodoo is as old as the zombie. Folks are still looking for credibility to that practice. Used to play a game called "Hollywood Hijinx." Such fun, and NO graphics. Often I think illustrations of any kind suppress our imagination, which is by far the most powerful force of the mind. I always enjoy looking at your paintings and wonder what it would be like to write a poem to go with them, but perhaps they should stand alone as a testament.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 05:33 pm
Sorry about that Stand up... Perhaps Witchcraft IS accurate then. Wink

TF
0 Replies