What Makes People NOT believe In God? (Atheists Come!)

Rosslyn

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 03:02 pm
Well... just thought it'd be interesting to hear other's views. I'm not sure whether I'm aetheist or not... don't really believe in the stories in Bible and that, but other things (the numinous >.<) makes me wonder... [size=7]and i need some opinions for my RE homework.[/size] Post away! Smile

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 03:07 pm
The fact there ain't any makes it a no-brainer.
L R R Hood

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 03:08 pm
I have trouble mainly because there is no concrete proof. There isn't even archaeological (sp?) evidence of anything that happened in the Bible.

I'm not saying there is no god, I'm just saying that this is why its hard for some people.
0 Replies

Rosslyn

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 03:15 pm
mmm yes no evidence is a good reason....

i'm not sure i understand you eb, the fact there ain't any what? God or aetheists? >.<
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 03:36 pm
I've thought about this. I've come to believe that it is mainly a semantic problem, nothing more. Whenever somebody tells me he/she doesn't believe in god, I always ask them to explain what they mean by 'god.' Turns out most of the time I totally agree with them -- I don't believe in that nonsense either. How could any rational human being beive that pap?

Yet I do not consider myself an atheist. What most people mean when they say they don't believe in god is that they don't believe whatever pablum they were fed by their parents or their clergy persons when they were young. They don't believe in the burning bush and the voice from heaven and the rest of it. They do not believe in a paternalistic entity which man has created in his own image.

That does not mean that there isn't a higher power operating within this universe, a power which -- I believe -- is quite beyond our puny understanding. It does no good to try and articulate any of this in a logical fashion. Our brains aren't wired to understand it. The Budhists have the right idea -- don't seek understanding, seek enlightnment.

I prefer to call this higher power God for the simple reason that a three-letter word is so easy to remember and to say. If you prefer, you may call it 'the Force.' Or 'the Cosmic Light Bulb.' Or whatever. It won't change the fact that the force is there, present in everything living. And present in the conciousness of mankind.

The fanciful details put forth by the various religious sects are no more than allegory, at best. They are a kind of wish-fulfillment because nobody really knows what god really is. We are not yet up to acknowledging that there are things which we not only do not understand but which we cannot understand. We are like the dog with a newspaper. Not only is it impossible to teach the dog to read the newspaper; it is impossible for the dog to understand the concept of reading. Likewise, I believe it is quite impossible for us to understand the nature of God.
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 03:45 pm
I think he means there ain't no God, right? Who is there to say so anyway?

It's hard for me to believe that there is a God because of the lack of the evidence as well... Neither have I ever felt like I've had "The Call" like some would say...
I do fear not acknowledging his otherwise existence though...
0 Replies

furiousflee

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 03:48 pm
Impossible to understand the nature of God? I don't think it is that impossible, If you were to take the Bible as a base of understanding God then the nature of God would be shown by Jesus, or God incarnate...So the understanding of the nature of God is really simple...The thing is why people don't believe in God is due to the lack of faith...oh wait a second...a controversial topic, Faith...many people believe it is like believing in Santa Clause and so on....The problem with people is that they don't ever go in depth searches for the face of God, how can you only question and do nothing to actually find the answer...Life is so much simpler if there was no God, but, also alot more dull. Without purpose...For if there was no God we only live to die...so then why live at all, if you have no reason for existance then why exist....So, if God didn't exist why don't we just "0ff" us right now and become nothing...just turn out, spare us from pain and grief...There would be no reason to make your life better since all that would happen is that you would leave it to some jerk off and he would waste all your hard earned treasure on nothing....God is a purpose for people, without it life would have no reason....simple and boring....there would be nothing to it.....or something like that...
Etruscia

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 04:26 pm
s
How about to make a difference in the world?
How about to enjoy life?
How about to make people smile?
How about to make peoples lives easier?
How about to change the world?

*Reasons for existence*

The way you put it furious is that if someone out of no where proved there was no god, you would just drop dead because now your purpose is gone. That is ludicrous.

Quote:
"There would be no reason to make your life better since all that would happen is that you would leave it to some jerk off and he would waste all your hard earned treasure on nothing"

According to christians, wealth and treasure dont matter. (im assuming your christian, im not) Its not like ancient egypt here where if there is god, all the treasure is buried with you and you get it in the afterlife. And what do you care who gets your money after you die, . . . your DEAD!

Obviously it is you leads a dull life because instead of devoting your life to your happiness and the happiness of people around you, you are trying to appease a being, of which existence is undetermined, and probably never will be ddetermined. I prefer to live like i never heard the term god and the meaning behind it.

Call me if the sky splits apart.
Thanks
0 Replies

furiousflee

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 04:31 pm
Hey man...do as you wish....right now I am to tired to enter into a tennis game of trying to prove the other person wrong....why do people always have to make other people believe what they believe, are they insecure in their own beliefs....so as I said...do as you wish...the beef between you and God is your own beef....not mine....
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 04:39 pm
Yes Furiousflee... I see your point. But I can also turn it around and argue that THAT is the exact reason why people do turn to believing in God in the first place. Just a purpose for being. There is the possibility of the universe being a logical universe, right? So if, let's say, we are here on earth just to be, and for life's sake and perennial purpose... Some people can't believe that, right? So then they'd turn to faith because they can't be in peace with just being, therefore, following something that is fulfilling to one's own existence.

So... what you are saying is what you believe in, your own opinion. Not the answer...

I think I've got my point across... If not.. sorry.. This topic always makes my world turn faster than it should... hehe I don't think society will ever come to an understanding regarding this matter...

Or maybe... on judgment day He will come and I'll be like... Oh ****.... Shocked
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 04:40 pm
I do not care if you beleive what i believe, i am just showing my opposing view.

For all i care, you could believe that rocks are supreme beings that cant talk move or talk.
0 Replies

furiousflee

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 04:42 pm
Why? why do you have to give an opinion always....not refering specifically to you but in general
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 04:47 pm
Quote:
"Well... just thought it'd be interesting to hear other's views"

Because people are asking for them.
0 Replies

furiousflee

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 04:49 pm
Well, guess so...if you asking for them then I guess it is okay.....but not always necessary...
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 04:52 pm
It is the human need to get one's thoughts out. If someone presents an opinion you oppose, then why not oppose it. No body needs to get angry or resentful, like it happens many times in the real world when to people oppose eachother. One opinion deserves another.
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 04:53 pm
Etruscia wrote:
Quote:
"Well... just thought it'd be interesting to hear other's views"

Because people are asking for them.

Good comeback!

And as for furiousflee... he's right, you know... But just so you don't think anybody is attacking you, it just sounded as if you were telling us that we're wrong for not believing... And that you're right for doing so. Some people might take that offensively.
0 Replies

furiousflee

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 04:54 pm
Guess so...thats prolly why I'm on a2k....but at the moment I am tired...I had about 3 hours of sleep and just came back from a 3 day conference...so my mind is basically just responding automatically with anything that pops in my brain....
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 04:59 pm
I use both faith and logic to determine that god is pink and invisible.
faith is where the pink part comes from and logic comes into play by noting that god must be invisible because I can't see god.
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 05:01 pm
Thanks for backing me up Super July :wink: .

This thread should probably get back on topic though.
0 Replies

wowcool

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 11:36 pm
I think that I have a good answer for people....

I myself don't much believe in religion really. But for those who follow their religions and believe in an afterlife and so on, even if there weren't an afterlife...then good for them. It would mean less stresses on them about death and they can pass away peacefully. I think them having their religions is a good thing as long as their not the types to push it on people.

Just a small humble opinion of mine for as much as it's worth.