Don't know much about philosophy...

jnfr

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 06:04 pm
I'd like to acquire a working knowledge of philosophical theories, but I'm unsure how to go about it. I think I would like to set my own pace...do the self-guided reading thing. I'd appreciate any suggustions as to what books (or types of books/materials) would make a good jumping off point...or any suggestions, period. Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 683 • Replies: 5
No top replies

val

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 02:54 am
Re: Don't know much about philosophy...
I think you should begin with a global view. Why not Anthony Kenny's "A brief history of Western Philosophy"? It's a good work, very accessible and inteligent.
0 Replies

jnfr

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 03:11 am
I wasn't sure whether or not I should drive right into the classics...like Kant, or something. But "accessible and intelligent" sounds good to me, and an overview would probably be the best way to begin. thank you.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 03:19 am
Try "Sophie's World".

This has been praised as one of the best intoductory books for beginners.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 07:28 am
Aye. Sophies world is a good place to start. It gives you a good overview of western philosophy. But if you want to dive deeper than any of these western philosophers, past their obsessive ranting and long complex words, you should read Siddhartha by Herman Hesse. It is not a philosophy book in the sense that a philosopher wrote it, but it contains vast amounts of wisdom. Truths that I think Kant and all the others were too wrapped up in themselves to even consider. And its less than 150 pages in pocket format! Philosophy is much more fun and useful if it is practiced without pride.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 06:58 am
jnfr-

Philosophy is a bit similar to wrestling with a greasy bear except that it is possible,usually,to practice philosophy in more comfortable environments.
An excellent beginners course might well kick-off with Ted Hughes's controversial Shakespeare and The Goddess Of Complete Being studied in conjunction with the Complete Works.
Easier solutions I know not.Frank Harris maybe or Dylan up to the chicken period.

spendius.
0 Replies