PETA or the food chain?

kflux

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 05:20 pm
has peta gone too far ?
IF a bear eats a fish , is that murder , and should humans be held to a different standard?
remember , despite our so called superior intellect , we are still just another mammal.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,889 • Replies: 47
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 05:23 pm
PETA to me means "People for the edible treatment of animals". They are insane.

If you really want a serious discussion about the proper use of animals as food, I'd be happy to cite some sources.
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 05:26 pm
Quote:
has peta gone too far ?

Quote:
They are insane.

Pretty much sums it up.

Actually this is just a bookmark until the "animal lovers" arrive....
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 05:30 pm
I noticed that they came out against eating fish because fish have feelings or memories or some such.

Well, it makes for an interesting question of where to draw the line. What about plants? I'm serious here. Do we know the extent of their sensibilities? Yet vegetarians and vegans chow down on 'em.

Food for thought, I say!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 05:34 pm
I copy this for relevance, and to reiterate my feelings:

If Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, Do Carrots Scream?

Imagine,
for a moment,
sleeping silently in your earthy bed,
only to be dragged out
by your hair,
have your skin flayed,
your body cut up
and consumed.

You want to scream,
but cannot.
You suffer
in agonizing
silence.

Carrots grow,
They are living things.

Could they not also
be sentient,
with a primitive
but distinctly present
soul?

Food for thought.

(This message
was brought to you
by PETA,
People
for the Edible Treatment
of Animals.)
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 05:44 pm
There is a guy in B.C. who wants to charge a whale with attempted murder. Hold on I'll find the story.

A world gone mad.....
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 05:52 pm
Are you kiddin' me Cav? That was great.
What are we supposed to be eating, neither animals nor vegetables?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 05:57 pm
I'm a member of PETA.

People Eating Tasty Animals.

Kill 'em and grill 'em baby.
0 Replies

Wild n Crazy

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 06:15 pm
Re: PETA or the food chain?
kflux wrote:
has peta gone too far ?
IF a bear eats a fish , is that murder , and should humans be held to a different standard?
remember , despite our so called superior intellect , we are still just another mammal.

State your position on this issue. Please let us know how you feel. Be glad to state my position once you state yours.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 06:19 pm
I can't find the article, damn Confused
the gist of the story is...

November, 2004

Luna, the orphaned Orca off Victoria, BC, has become rather aggressive. She's been scaring boaters by bumping and shaking boats and damaging equipment. One man is actually trying to have the killer whale charged with attempted murder.

Ok, how this dude thinks charging a whale??? with manslaughter even though Luna, the whale, has not yet hurt, much less killed, a human being will save it's life is a mystery to me, but first ~ A fish with memories ~

Summer, 2002....

Scientists postponed moving a killer whale out of Canada's Nootka Sound last week after Indians claimed it was inhabited by the spirit of their late chief. The whale, named Luna, swam into the sound in 2001, around the time the Mowachaht-Muchalaht tribe's chief died. Luna drew crowds to local docks, where she liked to linger, but officials said they wanted to get rid of the whale before it hurt somebody or was injured by a boat. A team of scientists brought in an underwater pen and tried to capture the whale so it could be relocated. But tribal leaders paddled out to sea banging on their canoes, scaring Luna away. Government scientists said they would try again.

Kinda throws a whole wrench into the thing. A dead indian chief has taken up residence in a whale with killer instincts, thrown his wieght around a bit, scared a few people, some people want him, others not so much, but because of organization like Peta, this stupidity will only continue to esculate.
0 Replies

kflux

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 06:20 pm
i'm glad to see so many responses Very Happy
i my self , liked PEAT at first , a long long time ago, when they where pushing for humane treatment of animals. they acted out against torture of animals , provided animal shelters for many comunities and stuff like that . but to ignor the food chin and say they deserve the same rights as humans is insane ,they already have that , it's called survival of the fittest.

btw did you hear about them handing out info at schools that said your parent's are murders
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 07:51 pm
I am at the top of the food chain, and act accordingly. 'Nuff said?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 10:27 pm
All this hand wringing started when Adam ate that Apple. So the vegetarians are to blame for this. Wink
0 Replies

kflux

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 11:40 pm
lmao
0 Replies

val

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 02:39 am
cjhsa
It seems to me a very nice organization. But only grill? Does your organization provide culinary suggestions?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 08:30 am
You gotta' be kidding, val. His organization will not only offer serving suggestions, it will give you the proper caliber, season, and appropriate woodland tips with which to bag that dinner.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 08:46 am
cjhsa really should offer up some crossbow hunting tips for fellow Nuge fans. I hate guns, it's just too easy, but I'm a big fan of meat.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 11:29 am
There's no such thing as an easy hunt. Lucky hunt, maybe, but never easy.

As far as crossbows, I have never shot one. They are misguidedly illegal in many states, even for disabled hunters. TNUSA is working to change that.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 11:34 am
You want a bow hunting tip? Well, unless you're Fred Bear (and Fred's dead), you can't kill anything farther than about 30 yards away. That means you either have to really know the area, and know the animals routine, or bait to bring them in. There are also calls and other tricks, such as rattling antlers, to bring them in closer.

As far as guns vs. bow, guns are probably more humane. Guns kill by massive trauma, quite quickly. Arrows kill by causing hemoraging and bleed out, so a slower death, often requiring some tracking skills to find the animal.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 11:43 am
PETA is insane. These people worry about the weirdest things.

treating animals humanely is great, we all should. I love animals and the never did anything to us (except for that tiger who was smacking his lips at me through the glass at the zoo...) Where I draw the line is that we were not meant to eat animals. Ok.....sure....and lions were not meant to either. Which is why they are carnivors.... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies