full time moms VS full blown feminist

kflux

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 11:06 pm
Thank you,
by the sound of the titles i'm not so sure I'll agree with all of them myself , but if were going to talk about womens isuses it should include all isuses , not just the one's supported by NOW .We really should look at the old ideas , find out what parts didn't work and why. Doing this will make it possible to improve the feminist movement.
0 Replies

kflux

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 11:42 pm
alright , i've read them now , andi'd argue a few of the more extream articals, but the firstone i pretty much compleatly agree with , Id recomed reading it to others.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 08:18 am
I haven't read those articles yet, (I'd like to, thanks!) but from the titles/ synopses I'd say they have a point.

I especially like the last one, something I've been saying on this subject a lot. When fathers are involved in parenting, everyone benefits.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 08:38 am
I agree with sozobe - I read the article - interesting as a dad writes it. As a matter of fact, I am working today - but my husband is at home with my two little girls. I have run into so many situations where I am questioned whether I am a working mother. No one ever questions my husband if he is a working dad. I don't even think that terminology exists. Well, I am going to start it. My husband is a working dad.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 08:59 am
(first let me repeat one of the tenets of my personal philosophy: "all traditions are "bad", until proven otherwise!")

The societal assumption that each woman, because she, and only she is able to bear children, is the best person to take care of her biological offspring, is rather ridiculous. There are myriad variations in the interests, talents, and capacities of the human animal, and some individuals show a far greater interest, and potential in child care, than do others, regardless of their 'possessing' children, or not.

Both society, and the families would be best served by assigning the tasks involved with raising our young, and even such mundane side issues as preparing food, and maintaining our homes, to those with the most talent in each specific area, rather than insisting that biology dictate who should do what, based on some idiotic rules which surfaced many thousands of years ago, in an entirely different world.

The parent who does daily what they really want to do (which may, of course be or include child care), is far more likely in all 'family' situations, to be a better parent, partner, lover, etc., than one who is forced to deal with challenges that they are not trained for, capable of, or interested in.

Lets move on as a society, and scrap all this nonsense about roles, expectations, labels, pidgeonholes - 'traditional values'!
0 Replies