SUV's and Support our Troops ribbons

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 02:36 pm
Does anyone else find it audacious to see "Support our Troops" ribbons on big gas-guzzling SUV's. I'm actually a big supporter of our troops and worked closely with the military during my career and have strong feelings regarding the importance of maintaining a strong National Defense. Several of my friends have children in Iraq and Afganistan, and a number of my former co-workers are there as well, so I speak with a great deal of respect for their hard work and the risk that they are taking. I'm sure the drivers of those vehicles feel very patriotic when they slap those stickers on their SUV's, but isn't a little bit like "Thru the Looking Glass"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,073 • Replies: 92
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 02:39 pm
Not at all. There are many people, of all persuasions, who are united in the concept of supporting our troops.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 02:54 pm
I'm just curious how exactly the American public thinks they are supporting the troops. Slap an American flag or ribbon on your symbol of conspicuous consumption and voila, you are a patriot.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 03:20 pm
Glitterbag--

Back in the '60's--as Viet Nam was heating up-- I was an assistant den mother in Great Falls, Montana, home of a large air force base.

Traditionally all cub scouts and boy scouts and their leaders marched in the Armed Services Day Parade. I told the Den Mother that I couldn't march--that she'd have to find another adult for our den.

"Why?" she demanded.

"I'm a pacifist."

"Well, so am I, but what does that have to do with the Armed Forces?"

Subject for debate: Are SUV patriots confused or simply complicated?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 03:29 pm
Noddy,
Thank you, you have given me something to think about. Maybe we are all confused and comlicated?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 03:54 pm
Glitterbag--

You're welcome.
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 04:53 pm
I guess I don't understand why driving an SUV is considered unpatriotic?

Why don't we take the arguement further and state that anyone who drives over 55 mph--in any vehicle--is unpatriotic since fuel consumption is much less at 55 than 70.

Or how about those who have yachts...or even the little Jet Skis? Those represent non-essential use of fuel, so are those people unpatriotic?

Why doesn't anyone complain about the poor people who are driving big old V8 Buicks that don't have anywhere near the fuel efficiency or pollution controls that the biggest SUV of today has?

Are these people unpatriotic because they drive old cars?

What if a person just prefers the safety aspect of a larger car or SUV, or pickup truck? What if the safety of their family comes over and above their extra fuel usage and insurance costs?

And how about those people who use more fuel, and pay higher insurance rates? Arent' they actually helping the economy more than those of us driving 3-banger Geos?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2004 05:03 pm
It's subtle General, not unpatriotic. No one has actually asked the American public to make any sacrifice for this conflict in Iraq, except of course the military stuck in the middle. I hope they all can get back and be able to cruise around in comfort in an SUV that gets 9 mpg. And if you are really swamped with cash, it's yours and as far as I'm concerned you can wipe your butt with $50 bills as long as they belong to you. It doesn't sound responsible to me and not something I wish to do, and I can think of better ways to use the money. But I'll worry about my money and how I use it, you can worry about yours.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 11:35 am
Hey, glitterbag. Great to see you back. Quite frankly, I don't see much connection in patriotism and cars. Both my cars get around 30 miles to the gallon (when they're running).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 11:37 am
I want to poke those people in the eyes. I hate SUVs. And, to me, they are the epitome of the US dependence on oil.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 11:53 am
glitterbag wrote:
I'm just curious how exactly the American public thinks they are supporting the troops. Slap an American flag or ribbon on your symbol of conspicuous consumption and voila, you are a patriot.

Glitterbag, I don't know how old you are, but I remember the Vietnam War well. In retrospect, we have learned that even Lyndon Johnson knew that it was futile, and we lost 50,000 military, most of whom were conscripts.

One of the biggest problems that these vets had, after putting their butts on the line, was that they did not come back as heroes. They were reviled by the public. The public hostility to these people only added to the trauma that they had suffered in Vietnam.

I don't want to ever see that again. Not everyone may support a war, but, IMO, it is important to support the young people who were in harm's way, and need to know that they were appreciated.

I have seen those ribbon "Support our troops" stickers, on many vehicles, big and small. If seeing one of them will bring cheer to a returning vet or his/her family, I think that is very positive.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 11:59 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Glitterbag--

Back in the '60's--as Viet Nam was heating up-- I was an assistant den mother in Great Falls, Montana, home of a large air force base.

Traditionally all cub scouts and boy scouts and their leaders marched in the Armed Services Day Parade. I told the Den Mother that I couldn't march--that she'd have to find another adult for our den.

"Why?" she demanded.

"I'm a pacifist."

"Well, so am I, but what does that have to do with the Armed Forces?"

Subject for debate: Are SUV patriots confused or simply complicated?

Or self centered dickweeds....like our president....
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 12:00 pm
glitterbag wrote:
Noddy,
Thank you, you have given me something to think about. Maybe we are all confused and comlicated?

Not me...I'm simple...anyone will tell you Laughing
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 01:59 pm
Hi Letty, I guess I didn't express my thoughts very clearly. Cars are not patriotic or unpatriotic. The people in the US have a very high standard of living and I would be lying if I said I hoped to have fewer dollars or would be willing to part with the comforts of life I have worked so hard for. Maybe it has something to do with the way I made my living, I was an intelligence officer for 32 years and worked with and supported the military and our government. I worked with wonderful people who made very little money and knew they could be put in harms way in an instant. Many military and civilian personnel would volunteer to serve in very dangerous places. Thanksgiving of 1979, we were sitting on the floor of my mother-in-laws home in North Carolina watching the news and was shocked to my soul to see a former co-worker being released by the hostage takers in Iran. I am not going to suggest that anybody give up anything. I would like Americans to actually understand the kind of sacrifice that some people have made in order for the rst of us to live in great comfort. Maybe in addition to slapping a flag or a ribbon on your SUV, folks might actually visit a VA hospital, donate some cash to the familys of wounded and dead military, even drop a few bucks at the Post Office, the Post Office provides phone cards and stamps for the soldiers stationed in Iraq and Afganistan.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 02:09 pm
phoenix, yes I remember Viet Nam well. The country was torn appart because people were angry at the government and took it out on the troops. I've always had a fine understanding of the difference between Government Policy and the soldier's duty. Maybe you had a similar experience, attended the funerals of childhood friends, saw some of them come back badly deformed from battle wounds. Maybe you saw the light go out from your cousin's eye's after he spent a year on a morgue ship. I can't rewrite history and it is sad that so many people blamed the soldiers when they should have blamed the Govt. But lets see what happens as time wears on, and the cost for caring for disabled vets starts to get a little tiresome for some of the tax payers. The American public has always had a short attention span when it comes to paying our bills.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 02:12 pm
Ah, Glitterbag. I guess I did misread. Believe it, when we played, we did a lot of Veteran's hospitals. Yes, many Americans have a high standard of living, some do not. I see what you mean, now, but I must be honest. I don't own an SUV cause they scare me. We had an RV once that got about 9 miles to the gallon, falling off a cliff. I support troops anywhere. I just don't support how they got there.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 02:24 pm
Letty, gas consumption scares me because I remember what it was like sitting in long lines early in the morning to get your ration of gas during the gas crisis in the early 70's. It would be vain to compare this experience with that of the folks who lived thru the depression and WWII, and it was inconvenient but easily fixed by raising the price of gas. Obviously most SUV owners don't even know that gas was actually rationed in this country as recently as the 70's. So they have no compelling reason to worry.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 02:34 pm
Also glad to see you back, glitterbag, but like GeneralTsao, I think the connection is a bit tenuous.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 02:34 pm
I haven't read through this thread, but I'm sorry...there is no logic in saying people with those ribbons on their SUVS are hypocrites.

Personally, I wouldn't buy an SUV, because I'm single and agree they're a huge waste of money unless you really need one. However, I do believe people should be free to buy any vehicle they want, no matter how stupid they are.

That being said, there shouldn't be only a select few of people that can support the troops.

This reminds me, a good friend of mine is a vet who drives a Denali. I'll ask him what he thinks.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 02:58 pm
roger and slappy, for some reason I am having a problem articulating this so that everyone understands. I am not suggesting that we shouldn't support our troops, or that only a select few can do it, nor am I saying owning any vehicle is unpatriotic. I would like the American public to actually understand what kinds of sacrifices are being made by an unfortunate few at this time, all of the sacrifices made by our military since 1776 in order for them to show their appreciation by pasting a ribbon on their car. Frankly I will be a little more impressed when everybody is willing to give up 5 more dollars a year to take care of the military and show them with some credibility we actually do support our troops. But I guess that would be considered a tax increase and holy crap, we know that taxes are unamerican.
0 Replies