Holiday films coming--which will be the hits?

couzz

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 01:51 pm
It's been a long wait this year for the high end films. The studios hit us with their contenders at the end of each year and this year there are 60 films that will open between Nov. 10--Dec. 29, 2004. This may be the most films released in this late 8 week period that I can recall. First up is the computerized Tom Hanks in "The Polar Express". Which films will be big box office and which will be critical hits? What performances will stand out?

A partial list of releases:

Nov. 10

"The Polar Express" OPENED
3 Reviews: Roger Ebert: "The look of the film is extraordinary, a cross between live action and Van Allsburg's artwork...--(the film) has the quality of a lot of lasting children's entertainment: It's a little creepy." Manohla Dargis (NY Times): The largest intractable problem with "The Polar Express" is that the motion-capture technology used to create the human figures has resulted in a film filled with creepily unlifelike beings. Lisa Schwarzbaum (Ent. Weekly): On Zemeckis' turbocharged Polar Express, a magical, ghostly hobo rides the top of the train, the hero boy is joined by a few all-sorts travel mates, and waiters burst into song and dance as they serve hot cocoa. And if the children and elves and Santa, too, look slightly unnerving with their pod-people eyes, well, I only wish there were more of the disorienting — more of the silently, hypnotically Van Allsburgian — and less of the flat, linear, polished, technical brilliance with which this big-ticket vehicle runs its route.

Nov. 12:

"After the Sunset" OPENED
Review: Stephen Holden (NY Times): "As Max (Brosnan) and Stan's (Harrelson) tricky cat-and-mouse game does triple somersaults, it becomes obvious that the male stars' roles should have been reversed. Mr. Harrelson's revved-up motor is the kind of machine that kicks itself into action and demands crazy challenges, while Mr. Brosnan's is a sedate little putt-putt requiring a lot of effort to make it start. The scheme engineered by Max takes place during a midnight scuba-diving expedition. It is as dull as it is elaborate."

"Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason" OPENED
Review: Kirk Honeycutt (Hollywood Reporter): In this sequel to the successful 2001 single-girl-in-the-city comedy "Bridget Jones's Diary," more is less. "Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason" begins by repeating many gags from the previous film. Only now they feel lame and routine. Then, in the strain to explore new territory, the film pushes into areas that that don't fit comfortably into the lightly comic world of Bridget Jones".

"Bright Future" OPENED
Review: Manohla Dargis (NY Times): "In "Bright Future" a deadly jellyfish glows an ominous red and apocalypse looms in the figure of dissolute youth. A quietly creepy story with a hint of politics and a wealth of shivers, the film was directed by Kiyoshi Kurosawa (no relation to Akira Kurosawa), a prolific and sui generis talent who packs more ideas into one of his low-budget specials than most Hollywood studios eke out in the course of a year. Like most of Mr. Kurosawa's films, "Bright Future" casts its spell by drawing out the horror of everyday existence bit by bit, and then tossing in some otherworldly weirdness that makes the hair on the back of your neck try to run for cover. "

"Finding Neverland" OPENED
Review: Glenn Kenny (Primiere Mag.): "Finding Neverland" is populated by recognizable people, as opposed to types; even the characters we’re not too fond of at first are fleshed out as fully human by the filmmakers, which helps make this movie such a powerful one. Depp and Winslet in particular are, as you might expect, immaculate. I don’t think there’s another actor alive who can convey the intermingling of gentleness and passion with as much precision as Depp."

"Kinsey" OPENED
Review: Michael Rechtshaffen (Hollywood Reporter)"Kinsey" boasts exceptional lead performances (by a never-better Liam Neeson and Laura Linney)... More unexpected is the picture's playfully exuberant tone, which, given Kinsey's clinically obsessive reputation for collecting data, might have resulted in a more austere portrait. Taken together, those attributes add up to one of the year's most satisfying films, and with a scope and shape similar to that of "A Beautiful Mind," the Fox Searchlight release could emerge as a multiple Oscar contender."

Nov. 19

"Bad Education" OPENED
Pedro Almodóvar backs off from his usual high stylization for a brooding account of a Catholic boyhood ruined by a priest's advances. Gael García Bernal plays three roles in the time-shifting structure, including that of a transvestite nightclub performer.

"National Treasure" OPENED
The Declaration of Independence turns out to be a map pointing to the location of a vast treasure hidden by the Founding Fathers. Nicolas Cage portrays a descendent of said fathers who decides to protect the map by stealing the document from the National Archives. From producer Jerry Bruckheimer and the director John Turteltaub ("The Kid"); with Harvey Keitel, Jon Voight and Diane Kruger.

"The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie" OPENED
Plenty of guest voices - Alec Baldwin, James Earl Jones, David Hasselhoff, Scarlett Johansson, etc.,- join the highly absorbent cartoon hero and his underwater pals as they try to track down the stolen crown of King Neptune. Sherm Cohen and Stephen Hillenburg directed.

Nov. 24

"Alexander" OPENED
Colin Farrell plays the Macedonian king who conquered a big piece of the ancient world in 300 B.C. while hesitating between the love interests Rosario Dawson and Jared Leto. With Angelina Jolie, Anthony Hopkins and Val Kilmer; the director is Oliver Stone.

"Beyond the Sea"
Kevin Spacey as Bobby Darin and Kate Bosworth as Darin's wife, Sandra Dee, in a biopic directed by Mr. Spacey that is one of the more eccentric vanity projects in quite a while. With John Goodman, Bob Hoskins, Brenda Blethyn and Greta Scacchi.

"Christmas With the Kranks" OPENED
John Grisham's novel "Skipping Christmas" becomes a movie with Tim Allen and Jamie Lee Curtis as a suburban couple who decide to forgo their annual Christmas celebration until their daughter in the Peace Corps announces she's coming home for the holidays. With Dan Aykroyd and Cheech Marin; Joe Roth directed from a script by Chris Columbus.

Nov. 26

"A Very Long Engagement" OPENED
France's Jean-Pierre Jeunet tries to top the international triumph of his 2001 "Amélie," this time with a sober tale of a young Frenchwoman (Audrey Tautou) searching for her lost lover (Gaspard Ulliel) in the aftermath of World War I. The spectacular digital effects include large-scale recreations of battlefields and wartime Paris.

Dec. 3

"Closer"
Two couples - Natalie Portman and Jude Law, and Clive Owen and Julia Roberts - come apart when infidelity raises its hoary head. Based on a 1997 play by Patrick Marber and directed by Mike Nichols, this is aiming for big Oscar consideration, with a battle of the sexes theme that suggests Mr. Nichols's "Carnal Knowledge."

"House of Flying Daggers"
Zhang Yimou ( "Raise the Red Lantern") directs this newest big-budget martial arts film from mainland China. The House of Flying Daggers is a secret society devoted to bringing down an evil regional administration under the Tang Dynasty; Zhang Ziyi is an erotic dancer who may be an agent of the revolutionaries.

Dec. 10

"The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou"
From Wes Anderson ("Rushmore," "The Royal Tenenbaums"), another wry ensemble comedy, this time centered on a once-famous maker of underwater adventure documentaries (Bill Murray) who has fallen on hard times. The cast includes some of Mr. Anderson's regulars (Owen Wilson, Anjelica Huston) as well as some newcomers (Cate Blanchett, Michael Gambon, Willem Dafoe).

"Ocean's Twelve"
The urbane superthief Danny Ocean (George Clooney) adds a new member to his team as he plans three simultaneous stick ups in Paris, Rome and Amsterdam. Mr. Clooney is joined by Brad Pitt, Julia Roberts, Andy Garcia, Matt Damon and Bernie Mac; Vincent Cassel appears as a French competitor to Danny on the international stage. Steven Soderbergh directed from a screenplay by George Nolfi.

Dec. 15

"Million Dollar Baby"
Warner Brothers moved Clint Eastwood's new film from February to December after Oscar buzz began for the performances of Hilary Swank (a determined young female boxer) and Mr. Eastwood himself (a retired prizefighter turned cranky coach). Mr. Eastwood directs from a script by Paul Haggis; also starring Morgan Freeman.

Dec. 17

"The Aviator"
Martin Scorsese's biography of Howard Hughes reportedly uses a different film format - from tinted black-and-white to widescreen color - to depict each stage in the career of the legendary aviation pioneer, Hollywood producer and compulsive lady's man. The cast includes Leonardo DiCaprio as Hughes, Cate Blanchett as Katharine Hepburn, Kate Beckinsale as Ava Gardner and Gwen Stefani as Jean Harlow.

"Imaginary Heroes"
Dan Harris's film about a young man (Emile Hirsch) coming of age in a dysfunctional family; the drug-addicted mom is Sigourney Weaver, the heavy-drinking dad is Jeff Daniels.

"Lemony Snicket's a Series of Unfortunate Events"
The first installment of the mordantly funny series of children's books about three helpless orphans in the clutches of an evil count (Jim Carrey) arrives on screen courtesy of the director Brad Silberling ( "Moonlight Mile") and the screenwriter Robert Gordon ("Galaxy Quest"). There's a whopper cast competing for attention with the C.G.I. effects: Meryl Streep, Timothy Spall, Billy Connolly, Luis Guzmán, Jennifer Coolidge, Jane Adams, Catherine O'Hara, and others.

"Spanglish"
The writer-director James L. Brooks ( "Broadcast News") examines different styles of parenting through a comedy about a Mexican immigrant (the Spanish actress Paz Vega, of "Talk to Me") with a young daughter who works for an eccentric and demanding Los Angeles couple (Adam Sandler and Téa Leoni) with a difficult child of their own. Throw in Cloris Leachman as Ms. Leoni's comically alcoholic mother and you've got a premise made in sitcom heaven.

Dec. 22

"Andrew Lloyd Webber's Phantom of the Opera"
The director Joel Schumacher plucked the British actor Gerard Butler from relative obscurity to play the title role in this big-budget adaptation of the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical. Emmy Rossum of "Mystic River" is Christine, the young singer in whom the masked Phantom takes an unhealthy interest. Patrick Wilson, Miranda Richardson and Minnie Driver come along for the ride.

"Hotel Rwanda"
Terry George turns his attention to Africa, where Don Cheadle portrays a real-life hotel manager who saves more than a thousand Tutsi refugees during the Hutu attacks in Rwanda. Mr. George directed, too. With Nick Nolte and Joaquin Phoenix.

"Meet the Fockers"
Jay Roach's sequel to the dark comedy "Meet the Parents" (2000) adds Barbra Streisand and Dustin Hoffman to the original cast, playing the parents of Ben Stiller, a bridegroom-to-be. They don't hit it off with the parents of the bride (Teri Polo), a fiercely decorous couple, Robert De Niro (as a paranoid former C.I.A. agent) and Blythe Danner.

Dec. 24

"Bride and Prejudice: The Bollywood Musical"
The writer-director Gurinder Chadha, who had an international hit with "Bend It Like Beckham," transforms Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" into a musical in the inimitably unrestrained Bollywood style. The Indian superstar Aishwarya Rai ( "Devdas") stars as a spoiled village girl who meets a handsome Californian, Will Darcy (Martin Henderson), at a wedding celebration.

Dec. 29

"The Assassination of Richard Nixon"
Denied a federal small business loan, a vengeful salesman (Sean Penn) plots the murder of the sitting president. Naomi Watts is his dismayed wife; Don Cheadle his sympathetic best friend. Written and directed by Niels Mueller.

"In Good Company"
A busy year for Dennis Quaid winds up with this social comedy. He plays an advertising salesman who discovers that his young new boss (Topher Grace) is having an affair with his daughter (Scarlett Johansson). As if that weren't enough, his wife (Marg Helgenberger) tells him she's expecting again. Paul Weitz ( "About a Boy") wrote and directed.

"The Merchant of Venice"
Al Pacino sets out to extract his pound of flesh in a Shakespeare adaptation directed by Michael Radford ( "The Postman"). The cast includes Jeremy Irons as Antonio, Joseph Fiennes as Bassanio and Lynn Collins as Portia.

"The Upside of Anger"
When her husband runs off with his secretary, Joan Allen is left to raise her daughters on her own - no easy task when they consist of Erika Christensen, Alicia Witt, Keri Russell and Evan Rachel Wood. But Ms. Allen finds consolation and companionship with Kevin Costner, daringly stretching his range to play a retired baseball player. Mike Binder wrote and directed.

To read the complete list of films go to:
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/07/movies/moviesspecial/07nove.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,256 • Replies: 17
No top replies

thiefoflight

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 08:04 pm
POLAR EXPRESS, SPONGBOB, and LEMONY SNICKET are going to be the big hit according the THIEFOFLIGHT's nieces and nephews monitor. They are already calling and begging me to take them when the time comes. I think THE INCREDIBLES
should be included on the list as I can see it still playing in January. I took my first nephew to see it this week-end and loved it!! I'll be taking another to see it next week. I'm looking forward to seeing
THE LIFE AQUADIC
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 08:06 pm
I'm going with meet the fokkers and surviving christmas.....
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 05:20 pm
Being a great SpongeBob fan I will be in line with the kids on Nov. 19th.

"Kinsey" looks interesting and with Liam Neeson playing Kinsey, it will be a must see.

Note to thiefoflight:
I agree with you about THE INCREDIBLES...it will be a great holiday movie and it should last to the end of the year.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 05:21 pm
"Kinsey" sounds interesting, all right, but a holiday film? Not sure I'd take the kiddies to matinee...
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 05:38 pm
D'artagnan you are right about "Kinsey" not being a family film...but this is Academy Award season and that's why we have so many non-family films in late release each year.

There does seem to be a large number of family films this year which is great because it gives kids a chance to see films on the big screen and develops their interest in film. I have been hookled since I was five years old.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 10:53 am
For those who wish to see more about "The Polar Express" go to :
http://polarexpressmovie.warnerbros.com/#

The buzz is it will become a classic but let's not get ahead of it's opening...
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 11:04 am
I don't usually go to movie theaters as the chairs aren't big enough to accomodate me, my big blanky, large pillow, and a foot rest for my huge Sponge Bob slippers. But, if I had to, I would see "Meet the Fockers".
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 07:46 pm
If I ever actually went to the movies, I'd have five from this list that I would see: Phantom of the Opera, Kinsey, Polar Express, Finding Neverland and The Aviator.

Phantom was my favorite Opera, Kinsey was an interesting fellow, Polar Express was a book I used to read to my kids, Finding Neverland because I have always enjoyed Depp as an actor and the Aviator because Howard Hughes was one very odd duck visionary.

I just may have to break down and go one of these days.
0 Replies

rapsuhdee

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 08:44 pm
Oceans Twelve and Meet The Fockers
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 02:05 pm
I'm going to a pre-release screening of National Treasure tomorrow night. As much as I appreciate Nicolas Cage, this is not a movie I'd consider paying to see.

Bad Education and Beyond the Sea are the ones on my shortlist for movies to see (and pay to get in).
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 09:45 pm
ehBeth:

Maybe you can give us your early review of
"National Treasure"....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 10:05 pm
I'll be baaaaaaaack.
:wink:
0 Replies

katealaurel

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 10:13 pm
I only skimmed the list (if I want to comprehend torque and angular momentum tomorrow in class, I need to get to sleep.. *sigh*), but I -will- be going with a huge group to see Phantom, probably on the opening day. I happen to be listening to the musical right now, come to think of it..

If they ruin it, they will pay! *shakes fist*

I'm a little worried about Alexander- I didn't even bother seeing Troy after hearing they'd shortened the war to 15 days or somesuch *shudder* classicists everywhere united against that one- but if no such horrible news appears, I may go see it. Lemony Snicket tends to be amusing in general, from what I've heard.

The fact that there is no more Lord of the Rings just makes me sad, though.

-Kate
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 10:34 pm
katealaurel:

I have seen the coming attractions to "Phantom" and it appears the costumes and sets look good...we will keep our fingers crossed.

Official website for "Phantom of the Opera" 2004 version:
http://phantomthemovie.warnerbros.com/
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2004 10:02 pm
Oh dear.
National Treasure was not a good movie.
A few nice travelogue moments, but no. <shakes head vehemently>
The woman who had the passes thought it was a great, rip-snorting adventure. I fear for her sense of adventure.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 10:52 am
ehBeth:

It reads as though you were not impressed with "National Treasure". I have read several early reviews and they suggest the film is spotty.
So it looks as though the film will not be in the top 5 films of the year.

The following is an excerpt of a early review from www.filmcritic.com:

"Ultimately, National Treasure is not a great movie. As both a treasure hunting adventure and a conspiracy film, it falls short in many ways, not the least of which is a ridiculously moronic plot that defies reason at every turn. Still, if you can withstand the tedium of its opening montage, you are bound to have a good time. But you would do well not to think too hard about any of this film and it's backstory." (Critic: Robert Strohmeyer)
0 Replies

RfromP

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2004 09:32 pm
I've stopped going to the movies as a result of being let down one too many times but I do think I will get back on the horse and go see "Meet the Fockers." The first one was good and despite being skeptical of a sequel, as so many sequels lately have been garbage, I suspect this might be a good one. I'm actually looking forward to it.

National Treasure sounds intriguing but after reading what you guys have said, I'll wait for the video and a coupon. It's a shame that so many movies these days start with a good premise but end up not living up to what they could be.
0 Replies