Most mediocre film ever made

boomerang

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2004 09:25 pm
Hey back atcha, Wizard!

I heard P. Diddy was campaigning to be the next Bond - wouldn't that be a trip?

Speaking of such things, perhaps a Lightwizard can answer this....

I was watching "Oprah" a while back and she said "we light our set for black people and even white people look better".

I sometimes have the problem where black skin will look a little ashy under my normal lights. I have asked every photographer that I know about this and they, like me, have been blank. Obviously, they don't teach this in photo school.

If you don't know the answer, you certainly will still rank among the amazing light wizards that I know but if you do know, and you will share the secret, I will kiss your fuzzy blue monster face and let you call me "Boo" forever.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 02:59 am
Blair Witch Project wasn't just an overhyped 'mediocre' movie. It was an overhyped piece of crap. Nothing mediocre about it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 10:25 am
Well, boom -- that's an interesting question. Since they have always been applying a slightly green tinted makeup to the white people (to counter the tendency towards a reddish complexion.) I'm not sure what lighting filters would do let alone any filters over the lense. It could easily be they have adjusted the tinted makeup on the white people and are using the new HID lamps which are the purest white color temperature available (you mostly see them used in warehouse stores, manufacturing plants and outdoor areas, especially street lighting).

"Blair With Project" is a novelty which the teenyboppers went in droves, probably because it looked like a home movie they could all make. I've never been able to get past the first reel. This is what I meant by this type of thread -- it's really a guilty pleasure thread, not I hated, hated, hated, hated this movie.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 10:37 am
Yep, LW. I happened to really enjoy Hellboy, although I would hardly consider it a good film. Even for the genre it was middling at best, but still highly entertaining.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 10:50 am
I did enjoy "Hellboy," a perfectly good popcorn movies where the CGI did meld into the storytelling quite well.

I liked the "Spiderman" movies as well.

Whether they are mediocre movies or not is really debatable as they did get mostly good reviews and, without question, did big boxoffice.

Some of the old sci-fi is still a guilty pleasure like "Them!" I'm shocked they haven't done a remake. Of the current films in the genre, there was a lot of comedy in "Eight-Legged Freaks" which, like the original "Piranha," was more of a lampoon of the genre of menacing mutated creaturesm ("Sir, the piranha are eating the guest.")
0 Replies

cannistershot

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 01:44 pm
New one for the list... Alexander. Terrible is only half enough.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 01:50 pm
Blair Witch.
Cheapest movie made in a long time.
Worst movie in a while
Biggest profit:cost ratio in a LONG time.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 02:58 pm
Where has "Alexander" been shown? It's due out on Friday and only been reviewed by second string critics. So far, no major critic has reviewed it but I must say with the director's perchance for revisionist history and propped up parables, I'm not expecting much. I'm sure it's spectacular but if there's little dramatic integrity, it could be Oliver Stone's "Heaven's Gate."
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 03:11 pm
Ah, yes, Heaven's Gate. Now there was a truly mediocre movie. I actually fell asleep twice in a row, trying to watch the video. Never did see it through to the end. It gave a whole new difinition to the word 'boring.'
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 03:58 pm
That's where the term -gate as in Watergate came from as it's likely the most famous debacle in all of filmdom except, perhaps, "Ishtar."
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2004 10:39 am
saw this great Japanese film, that was so great I forget the title... about a deaf Japanese teenager who teaches himself how to surf. Has this girl sitting on the beach for him all the time.
Right near the end, just at the point where I was wondering when it would, there was this subtitle that said "he has turned into a fish"... nothing happened, just a shot of the sea. I burst out laughing hysterically.
I can't say I hated it, it is just that nothing happened.

"Le Pact de les Loups" I believe it was called in French something about Brotherhood of the wolves in English had my man and I laughing all the way through... it was just ridiculous.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 08:07 am
I saw "Alien Hunter" yesterday and it bored me terribly. There was absolutely not an ounce of originality in it. The scientists acting very unscientifically (as in doing things so stupid that no one in their right mind would even consider them) were very annoying and James Spader decyphering an alien language signal in 5 minutes (whereas real cryptologists take decades to decypher a human language) did not live up to his reputation. It was all too silly and too predictable for words.
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 10:13 am
sounds great, maybe I am out of touch, I haven't heard of it.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 10:40 am
Well, I'm willing to add Hysteria, this one http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116590/ to my list of mediocre guilty pleasures. It's just weird enough to keep you watching, even though it's not a good film. How can you go wrong with maniacal doctors, mental patients, mind control, weird experiments and kung fu?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 11:01 am
Young Adam. Rolling Eyes Even Ewan McGregor couldn't save this one.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 12:35 pm
yes Letty, i just rented Yound Adam and thought it mediocre...just plodding along like the barge they rode on...though the full frontal nudity of Ewan was nice to see
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2004 02:44 pm
I declare, Willow. You just read my mind, backwards Very Happy Just this moment got through responding to another thread about this same thing.
0 Replies