Any ideas on how to keep my dog from chewing his bandages?

JerryR

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 04:29 pm
Hi all!

OK, so my 12 year old beagle, Elvis, had to had a toe removed last week. Shocked

He had a tumor, hopefully benign, and it was causing him a great deal of pain Crying or Very sad

So it's off,..he's home, and he was really good for about three days. Yesterday he ripped his splint off and tore the bandages to shreds, he's not so bright,..really sweet, I love him,..but he's kind of dumb Laughing

Anyhow, he reacted to the e-collar, like splashing holy water on the exorcist kid. It's just not gonna work. And since he's a Beagle, and they'll eat ANYTHING, the Bitter Apple sprays just don't phase him,..he kind of likes them! Laughing

If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them! Very Happy

I still have two weeks of this to manage through Shocked !

Thanks!
Jerry
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 23,629 • Replies: 44
No top replies

littlek

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 04:30 pm
gotta use the e-collar Jerry. He'll get used to it - sort of.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 04:33 pm
Jerry:

Get a white cone -shaped collar for your dog. Looks like a lampshade. Tied on with a little cord.

Doggie won't be able to bite anything! Razz
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 04:33 pm
Hi little_k!

I've been trying for two days, but he just can't figure it out.

He's been doing flips and rolls, fell down the stairs, and somehow managed to get it off. It was funny for a few minutes, but I'd really rather not freak him out much more.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 04:36 pm
It's the only thing that works
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 05:36 pm
I'm with everyone who mentioned the e-collar. Actually, DogFancy magazine showed a more gentle-looking e-collar in its latest issue. And here's the website for the company which makes them (I love this name): bonafido: http://www.bonafido.com/
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 05:49 pm
I'm with 'k -- if the spray doesn't work (and I've yet to see stay away from the bitter apple for very long), the e-collar's the only thing short of constant supervision that will keep him away from the bandage. I've heard that some dogs will avoid anything that gives off the faintest whiff of Tabasco, but it doesn't seem to bother mine and I doubt that would work with the bandages, anyway.

For what it's worth, the collars the vets send home don't always fit very well. Petco or Petsmart or equivalent has a much wider assortment of sizes than your vet's office probably does.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 07:19 pm
jes - that looks like a great alternative - i'd like to find some testimonials for that product (just in case those are all particularly docile pets in the pix). It does seem like visibility is much better in the soft-e collar. i will definitely keep that in mind should Cleo need an e-collar.
0 Replies

Sublime

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 09:13 pm
Jerry, I have had dogs that are virtually uneffected by the e-collar. They manipulate and twist to get at what they want. There are lots of fortunate people that use the e-collar successfully and no drama.

There are other things that may work besides bitter apple. I have heard of people using vinegar, hot sauce, and a pureed blend of garlic, water and bitter apple. There is a homeopathic item sold as a chewing deterrant, but the name is escaping me now. I think it is called Chew-Stop, but that is a guess. Ask your vet if they have any suggestions.

Good luck!
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 09:26 pm
Hi All,

Thanks!
Elvis, is dead set against that collar, I've tried for three days and can't put him through any more trauma. Poor little guy just had a painful operation.

I called the vet and explained it all to her, she suggested that I put a double layer of tube socks over the splint and tape it up higher than it. That way if he starts to chew, he'll get mostly sock by the time we catch him and we can add more as necessary. Seems to be working so far, he actually isn't going after it at all. The extra cushion is a bit more comfortable, I think.

I am reluctant to put anything on the bandages (tabasco and such), I'm just afraid of how much it would hurt if it were to leak through to the wound Shocked

I'll let y'all know how the sock thing works out, keep your fingers crossed. Very Happy
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 09:30 pm
Poor Elvis!!!
And...

poor Jerry as well!

The trauma we go through trying to lighten their load...its a wonder we dont drink more often Shocked kidding....kinda

Great ideas from the vet..I hope that works!!!!!
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 09:38 pm
Hi quinn!!
Thanks!

And just to let y'all know, I have nothing against those e-collars, my Basset Hound dealt with hers just fine! Very Happy

The Beagle is another story all together, he just can't deal. Laughing
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 09:46 pm
Sounds like a good option - good luck!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 09:56 pm
Socks. hmmmm, good idea. Will keep that in the mental filing cabinet.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 09:58 pm
A friend of mine has a golden that consistantly chews on his ront knee and despite the collars <I think hes been through 3 or 4 in two years>, the constant watching, and the different sprays, he still chews...

each dog will have his day....in his own way.

Jerry...when will you find out about the tumor? Any others?
Poor Elvis the toeless...
well, theres one ounce <okay maybe two> to subtract from the scale
Confused
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 10:15 pm
Yeah, how's the pooch?
0 Replies

JerryR

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 10:17 pm
He's fine,..doesn't really seem to phase him much.
He's walking on all four legs now, and I should have the biopsy results back tomorrow or weds.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 10:20 pm
fingers crossed!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Mon 3 Feb, 2003 10:40 pm
Tons of hugs comin your way, Jerry.....Share with Elvis, okay?
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 08:33 am
Hi Jerry...my Irish Wolfhound, Annie, had a right front toe removed for possible osteogenic sarcoma, they thought. The biopsies came back negative. However, she did have a bad osteomyelitis which could have extended up the leg if she didn't have her toe removed. She had the procedure about 7 months ago and is doing just fine ambulating. She did not require a collar to keep her from chewing and we did not have to use tube socks...she just left it alone! Shock! Shocked Annie is nine now, so I thought with age she may have learned to trust her human...but your boy is 12...

When she was a puppy, she had to have an Elizabethan collar (huge one, because of her size...she was almost full grown!), and she went "bananas!" We thought she would do herself in, so we resorted to the same thing...TUBE SOCKS! I forget now what the original problem was, just that I knew the E collar had to go or we would all go nuts!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Any ideas on how to keep my dog from chewing his bandages?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 11:46:30