tell me what you think and believe
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 964 • Replies: 18
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 09:36 pm
It is impossible to fit a full-seize Cadillac in your nose. It is impossible to fall out of a space ship, plummet to Earth through the atmosphere naked and suvive. There are countless examples of impossible things.
0 Replies

always dreaming

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 10:02 pm
NickFun wrote:
It is impossible to fit a full-seize Cadillac in your nose. It is impossible to fall out of a space ship, plummet to Earth through the atmosphere naked and suvive. There are countless examples of impossible things.

i have a big ass nose Laughing
0 Replies

val

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 06:25 am
Re: is anything really possible??
It is possible for you to make the question, and it is possible for me to answer it.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 01:36 pm
Everything is possible that is not logically impossible. Things are highly improbable that are often deemed impossible (humans flying for instance) but are not in fact not possible.

For something (anything - including God) to be and not be at the same time is not possible.

In other words - if it is not a priori impossible - it is very highly improbable.

TF
0 Replies

Taliesin181

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 04:06 pm
"To be...or not to be..." Sorry, got carried away.
There are clearly well-defined physical laws that cannot be violated. When you drop something, it will fall, unless you strap an enormous rocket on it. I mean, even if you believe the whole "mind-over-matter" thing in cases like a mother lifting a truck off her baby, these things are still governed by laws. That mother could not have made the truck disappear - she could only increase the levels of adrenaline in her body and gain momentary strength that, I'll bet, made her sore as hell the next day.
Now the flip side, which, as you'll see, Is still mostly my side. Even if you believe in an all-powerful deity...first of all, "all-powerful" is a contradiction, for the exact reasons thinkfactory gave. Secondly, if there is a god that set all this in motion, then they caused physical laws to come about, and would therefore be bound by them. (I'm disallowing any kind of "but he's outside of reality!" whatnot, of course, but feel free to show me up. :wink: )
Beyond this...there are a lot of things we know next to nothing about, and what seems impossible today could be commonplace just a hundred years from now.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 05:19 pm
Much has been written about "Quantum Theory, Consiousness and Reality" (see Google) which implies that "thingness" may be evoked by "consciousness". Whether you believe that such "consciousness" is of religious origin or not, such a theme implies that answers to the question lie in the realm of intereaction between "observer and observed" and perhaps neither exists without the other. It is even the case for example that some particle physicists believe that what CAN be mathematically postulated WILL be observed.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 10:29 pm
fresco wrote:
Much has been written about "Quantum Theory, Consiousness and Reality" (see Google) which implies that "thingness" may be evoked by "consciousness". Whether you believe that such "consciousness" is of religious origin or not, such a theme implies that answers to the question lie in the realm of intereaction between "observer and observed" and perhaps neither exists without the other. It is even the case for example that some particle physicists believe that what CAN be mathematically postulated WILL be observed.

back to the original idea. knower as known. ground of being personified in time and space as consciousness....eyes of the world stuff.

works for me, and allows me to believe in the great pumpkin if i so desire.

so if the bosox can win the series, any thing is possible.
0 Replies

val

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 05:18 am
AD, sorry, I didn't understand your question, so my first reply had nothing to do with the question.
I think you mean that "everything is possible".
In this case, my answer is yes. All is possible, providing it isn't self contradictory. The statements "it's raining" and "it's not raining" can both correspond to reality, but not in same time and place.
When I say that all is possible, I mean that everything has the potentiality of being. If you consider an infinite time, then everything is not only possible but will necessarily happen.

When I say "everything" I mean all things that can be part of our human experience. But, for example, a transcendental God is not part of our experience.

tell me what you think and believe[/quote]
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2004 07:01 am
val wrote:
All is possible, providing it isn't self contradictory.
[/quote]

Let me know when you are going to insert the Cadillac in your nose. This I gotta see.
0 Replies

val

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 05:57 am
Give me time, Nick. Lots and lots and lots of time. Smile
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2004 03:11 pm
There are and there should be limits to everything.

"A man must know his limits. We are something, but we are not everything"
- - Pascal? (something like that)
0 Replies

netfool

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 11:17 am
always dreaming wrote:
is anything really possible??

you tell me....there can be religous and scientific points of views

tell me what you think and believe

Well, in a universe where anything is possible, it should be possible to create an Unstoppable Force, correct?

And in this universe it should also be possible to create an Unmoveable Object.

So, if I send my Unstoppable Force at my Unmoveable Object it should.....uhhh.....ummm.

Given that example, I'd have to say anything is not possible.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2004 11:48 am
Ray - Infinity? Perfection? Aleph?

Val - I concur - Highly improbable of you to get that Caddy in your nose - but not contradictory. Given enough time and a large enough nose at birth....

Have you seen some of the hole in my students ears lately. They are getting Caddy fast in a hurry.

TTF
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 03:32 pm
Quote:
Infinity?

Is there such a thing as infinity? Sure we can think of it as repeating numbers that will never end, but does it exist? If you were to solve a logarithmic equation, there are certain restrictions that you would make in the beginning. When we've solved the equation we find two answers. Only one of them is right; the other, although it can be conceived, does not exist because it does not meet the restrictions.
So I'm not sure if infinity is real, it could very well be.

Eternity on the other hand, I think to exist.

Quote:
Perfection

In what sense? Nothing is perfect.

Quote:
Aleph

I don't know what that is Embarrassed

I believe that we must know our limits. That doesn't mean that difficult things can not be overcome, but just that we can't be everything.
0 Replies

val

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 06:46 am
Ray, Aleph is the first letter of the Hebraic alphabet. Sometimes it's used as the possibility to see the past, present and future in a unique mystical experience, like in the Borges novel, "The Aleph".
0 Replies

chooey

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 01:08 pm
Hello I am new to this forum.. I have an inclass debate on this topic..."Anything is possible." I am on the positive side....Could anyone privoide me with some good arguments??? Thank u very much
0 Replies

Taliesin181

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2004 01:20 pm
Chooey: are you supposed to support it, or deny it? If it's the former, look at Val's posts. If it's the latter, look at my posts. :wink:

Little bit of self-promotion there. Laughing
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 11:12 am
How about... We can think of anything so anything could be possible? Confused They didn't really specify whether it's possible in reality or in your mind :wink:

Besides just argue that if the universe is eternal, in that it could destroy itself but reborn again, then there could be infinite possibilities, and thus anything is possible.
0 Replies