What did YOU think of Moulin Rouge?

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 09:14 pm
Hey, if anyone has any comments on Moulin Rouge, I'm all ears. I wanna know hwat other people thought too.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,931 • Replies: 52
No top replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 09:17 pm
What a piece of crap.
0 Replies

Inlovewithagunslinger

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 09:30 pm
Oh. Confused What a kind comment.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 09:33 pm
Sorry, just trying to get the ball rolling. Smile

I'm sure somebody will come along with some more detailed analysis, but that's how I saw it.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 09:34 pm
Well, at least kicky was honest. I have to admit, a lot of things bothered me through the first act, especially the bastardization of modern tunes, but ultimately, by the end I kinda got sucked in. I wouldn't call it a great movie, more like an extended music video, but visually stunning, good vocal performances, and a classic storyline, all well-performed by the actors.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 09:41 pm
hated it... kicky you were spot on, ol' chap
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 09:43 pm
Here I was trying to be diplomatic....
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 09:45 pm
im sorry but i was forced to watch it when i didnt want to watch it to begain with and that made me hate it even more
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 09:46 pm
I enjoyed it because it was like nothing I'd ever seen before. However, I have friends who are still mad at me for recommending it!
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 10:16 pm
I enjoyed it too mac11 thought the use of pop music was inventive and the acting was superb...one of the best musicals made i think.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 10:17 pm
"best musical" is an oxymoron.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 10:29 pm
Visually delightful. I liked the bastardization of modern tunes, especially "Like a Virgin." (I think that was it.) My favorite scene was the intro to the club. What a feast. Even the music was slamming.
Maybe others took it too seriously? Was it ever meant to be anything more than pure fluff?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 07:59 am
Yes, Like a Virgin was surreal. My favorite was Roxanne, but then I like that song.

I agree, eoe, it was fluff. Romantic fluff, too, which is definitely not everyone's taste. Must be mine though! Very Happy
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 09:17 am
My FI and I hated it so much we turned it off. When I begged him to watch it again b/c we should give it another chance since everyone LOVED it, we both fell asleep watching it.

Sorry.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 09:32 am
The kinetic energy of the direction and camera work really put off some people but it was the first successful movie musical to crack the box office pallor on the genre and paved the way for "Chicago," a superior film. It's love triangle, poet loves "Camille" plot was just a framework. I have to say that the Green Fairy fantasy sequence is one of the most engaging ever committed to film. The digitally generated swooping of the camera over a set that was built in an Australian studio in a faithful recreation of the real Moulin Rouge perhaps didn't fit with a turn-of-the-century milieu and if one didn't particularly like the pop songs (well, one was original), I can see were they would not appreciate the film. How does it stand up against the best Broadway musicals may be a question also. In that comparison, it's hardly anything more than a little better than average (one would never get away with using existing songs in a Broadway musical).
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 10:27 am
Finally saw it about a week ago.
I expected to like it.
Didn't.
At all.
I could sort of appreciate some of the technical stuff that was happening, and understood about the concept of the new approach to musicals, but, still, no. I wouldn't be able to recommend it to anyone, and I'm enormously relieved that I didn't pay to see it.
I was disappointed. I'd hoped to enjoy it.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 08:43 pm
mac11 wrote:
Yes, Like a Virgin was surreal. My favorite was Roxanne, but then I like that song.

I agree, eoe, it was fluff. Romantic fluff, too, which is definitely not everyone's taste. Must be mine though! Very Happy

Roxanne! Loved it!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 09:19 am
I don't think Luhrman was trying to please the old guard for traditional musicals who can't tear themselves away from "The Sound of Music" (unsuccessful critically and financially on Broadway). How does it stack up to the classic movie musicals? I don't think it's easy to compare.
Obviously "Chicago" being a modern musical with controversial themes made a great movie and we've yet to see if it can be done again. For those that simply hate musicals, my sympathy. When's the funeral?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 04:29 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2004 04:34 pm
I thought the first ten minutes were brilliant, unfortunately the film didn't end after eleven minutes.
0 Replies