The DMCA vs. US Code - Copyrights

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 11:31 am
Ok, so I like to play computer games. I've had so many though the years that have been broken or lost that I now routinely *try* to make back-ups. Of course, with games such as Diablo, and many others by Blizzard, that gets really difficult. A lot of the cloning software fails to make usable backups... I can have a back-up... but should I need it, the game will not initialize with that cd. Then, of course, I must resort to cracking the executable.... which is baaaad. So, what's up with the DMCA? I mean, under US Code Title 17, Ch. 1, Sec. 117, para. (a)(2), it is legal for me to make a copy of computer software, provided I own an original, for archival use. Now... according to the DMCA, it is unlawful for me to circumvent the copyright protection features of such a program, be it planted bad sectors or digital signature or whatever. So, I have the right to make a copy. Blizzard has the right to try to stop me (remove my rights). And that's it? What the hell?!?!?!? Shouldn't it be just as illegal of a software producer to impede my rights, guaranteed in the above code, by placing a system in a work that is specifically designed to thwart the execution of said right?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 728 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 11:41 am
Hokie, this topic is now in both Legal and Philosophy & Debate (we can do a copy from the Moderator end and that way you get all of the responses together on the same topic). Please do not copy it, thanks.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 11:54 am
Damn good point.

IMO, the DMCA is a bit too overreaching.
0 Replies

USAFHokie80

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 12:06 pm
I actually emailed Blizzard's Tech support on this issue. HAHAHA. I told them I had made a copy of their software but that it didn't work. Of course, they said that I am, by law, allowed to make a back-up. But they do not support back-ups made with third-party cloning software. So... I guess I'm screwed. Or, they are... cause I'll just crack it. At least I *tried* to play nicely. :-D
0 Replies