Cheesehead Central

sozobe

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 08:14 pm
I've gotten tired of trying to track down O'Bill on the smoking thread or Bookie thread or other inappropriate places to talk Packers. And I know we're not the only fans out there. (BETH is even in a cheesehead. I'm not entirely sure why, but I approve.)

So here's a place for all things Packers.

Did you SEE Brett's block??? Oh my god that was so ****ing cool. His grin when he got up is why I love that man.

I only learned about Mike Sherman's talk with the team from the commentators tonight. Go Mike. Emotion, yeah. Some kick-ass play calling tonight!! Can he keep doing it all year? Won't that impact his his head coaching performance if he has to do both?

I'm LIKING what I saw, though. Those guys were having fun.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 14 • Views: 68,284 • Replies: 1,191

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 08:57 pm
Re: Cheesehead Central
WooHOo! Sozobe got the cheese back on! It's about time darlin!

Is that Brie that crazy woman's wearing?

sozobe wrote:
Did you SEE Brett's block??? Oh my god that was so ****ing cool. His grin when he got up is why I love that man.

Hell yes I saw it! and that grin is part of why I love that man too!

sozobe wrote:
I only learned about Mike Sherman's talk with the team from the commentators tonight. Go Mike. Emotion, yeah. Some kick-ass play calling tonight!! Can he keep doing it all year? Won't that impact his head coaching performance if he has to do both?
He has to do both! Remember all the bitching I was doing about Tom Rossley... he's worse than Donetell was on D if you ask me. Go figure, as soon as he's to sick to call plays we start winning!

Anyway, back to the point: Yes, he can call plays... lots of head coaches do. He should probably give up the GM job but I imagine that one's pretty easy to delegate 95% of the work load of anyway. Trades are done for the year... and our rookies have filled the holes acceptably anyway in my book. Most GM stuff won't come up again until the off season.

How great is it to have Grady Jackson back? That defense just isn't the same without a "grave digga" in the middle. Pity, them humongous guys age so quickly in this game.

Javon Walker is going to get expensive. That boy's become a man... and how about Najeh Davenport's running. Ahman is still amazing at making guys miss but boy would I hate to get hit by Najeh! And then Tony Fisher comes in to throw the TD! This team is so back heavy it's crazy and I love the way Sherman mixes them up. That He does well. And just think how honest defenses have to be when they're thinking even our third halfback is a threat to throw an option!

I hope Marco Rivera's okay. After loosing Flanagan, I didn't think we'd be able to protect Brett... but boy have they. On the other hand; I think you'd have to saw his leg off before he wouldn't play. Marco's tough like Brett.

sozobe wrote:
I'm LIKING what I saw, though. Those guys were having fun.

You and me both. For the first time I think this year Sherman was exchanging high fives with a smile in his eyes instead of that "still concerned look". A Brett Favre having fun is pretty unstoppable!

And even with our line damaged; we could always give them a heavy dose of Davenport to wear guys down before letting Ahman decleat umÂ… like Alstott and Dunn used to in Tampa.

Oh yeah, and now Antonio Chapman is even turning into a receiver, too!

Yikes, I'm babbling giddy over here. I'll shut up for now.

Let's don't anybody tell Gus about this thread, eh?

Ps. I gather you're pretty excited too! I've never seen you say "****ing cool" before. Shocked:wink:
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 08:13 am
Holy crap Soz. I just read that Favre sprained his throwing hand in the first half of the game yesterday.

Quote:
Sherman said that Favre sprained his right hand early in the game, but living up to his ironman reputation, the quarterback was able to play through the pain in his throwing hand and put up big numbers.

While Favre did not seem overly concerned with the injury after the game, he did say that it was quite painful.

"It was the first or second quarter - I can't remember," Favre said. "I don't want to say it didn't bother me. It doesn't feel too good right now. I kind of hit a guy's helmet and it jammed down here in the wrist. I played the rest of the game and as the game progressed, it felt worse and worse."

Source

Ironman just doesn't cover it. That was before he threw that lead block. Shocked How tough can one man be?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 08:24 am
(After Badger homecoming on Saturday, there's no way I could've taken the Packers on Sunday. I'm starting to think they like their football here. Just a hunch...)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 08:34 am
Yes, I'm excited! Very, very excited. The one damper is that I didn't see anyone do a Lambeau Leap. (One TD before I started watching.) What is UP with that? Why won't they Leap anymore? Is it something about the renovation? My extremely scientific survey has shown that when they Leap, they win. This isn't only the obvious, that if they are doing good things they have reason to Leap.

I have a pet theory, I don't remember if I've expounded on it before, that teams with a gimmick do better. This started when I was a fan of the Chicago Bears circa 1984, the "Superbowl Shuffle" year, was reinforced when I was a Twins fan in 1987 and there was a sea of Homer Hankies in the Metrodome (we were the first to do that), and was redoubled with the cheesehead/ Lambeau Leap Packers.

They still have cheeseheads going (did you see the cheese bras? heh) and they also have the long-haired defensive guys -- I love 'em. If they start Lambeau Leaping again and get ONE more fresh gimmick, they're going to the Superbowl.

Who knows, head coach as play caller might be the gimmick. It really seemed to energize 'em. New defensive guy, too.

The back-heavy thing could be interesting, if they get together and record a rap or something we'd be set. :-D How many ARE there? Ahman Green, Najeh Davenport, William Henderson, Tony Fisher... (absolutely LOVED that TD!!!!!!!! The Cowboys fell for it hook line and sinker.)

This reminds me tho that we have to stay injury-free -- that's why we have so many backs. They kept getting injured, kept having to have alternates.

Just checked the roster, also Vonta Leach (??) and Nicholas Luchey (??) actually fullback like William Henderson.

A stat last night was Brett had thrown to 10 different receivers. Cool!!!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 08:51 am
Nick Luchey is carrying most of load at fullback now. Henderson's got better hands, but Luchey is a better blocker (youth).

Yes, I saw the guys in the Cheese Bras. Shocked

Don't know why no leap... Driver(?) looked like he was going to once, and then stopped in his tracks. Maybe their punishing the fans for their poor behavior earlier this year (they deserve it Embarrassed). Or maybe it's as simple as that line of press photographers being in the way?

Damn Patio dog, Madtown must be nuts, eh? Undefeated Badgers! Shocked
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 10:44 am
i'm just here to bring my cheesehead over. need a place to stash it for an emergency. danon made it out of a big hat i really wear.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/images/avatars/505874020417bcb00aa058.jpg
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 11:23 am
Quote:
Damn Patio dog, Madtown must be nuts, eh? Undefeated Badgers!

What'll be nuts is if they finish out their soft schedule undefeated and still don't get a shot at the title.

But wherever bowl they go to, I hope the bar owners are ready. Went to an alumni bar up the street on Sat night -- I've never seen so many drunk retirees in one place.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 11:24 am
Heh.

They won the Rose Bowl when I was there, mayhem. Stupid college kids. (Oh wait, I was one...)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 11:33 am
It'd be good if they won another one. The banners from the last are getting pretty ragged...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 11:54 am
Oh I only just saw the post about Brett spraining his hand. What is with that guy? He seem to need an injury to really turn on the intensity. He seems kind of bored if there isn't something going on that would be an excuse to anyone else. Think of the game last year right after his dad died. Seems like a lot of his best games have been when I've clutched my chest and said oh no he can't be injured for THIS game and then whammo he's not only good enough, he's spectacular.

Which reminds me of the ultimate gimmick -- has he stuck to the thing about retiring after this season? Guaranteeing the Super Bowl? Because if so, that could do it. (I haven't seen much about it.)
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 12:22 pm
He hasn't said he'd retire, silly. He did say anything short of a Superbowl would be a disappointment, though... and last time he said that; we went! (Of course, that was before starting 1 and 4 too). The pain thing is trippy. He's always played better after getting hurt... kinda fires him up. Maybe someone needs to give him a sharp slap across the face before every game? How about that for a gimmick?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong here, but weren't the Badgers the bomb the last time the Packers were too?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 12:34 pm
Yep! Rose Bowl and Super Bowl within weeks -- were they both January? (Rose Bowl is New Year's Day of course, not sure about Super Bowl). Red and white and green and gold everywhere for months, perfect for Christmas. :-) It was our last year in Madison, quite a send-off. (Badgers went back to the Rose Bowl the next year, we had a bunch of friends come to Pasadena to see it.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 12:37 pm
(Why did I think he said he'd retire after this season? :-? I think it came from a Monday Night Football commentator -- something about quite possibly his last Monday Night Football game or something. But now I'm not sure.)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 12:39 pm
There's been a lot of chatter about it, but I don't think that it's come from King Cheese himself. I think it was his kid that said he should retire or something like that...
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 01:05 pm
He did relay that he asked Britney(?) if he should and she said yes... and unbelievably that made CNN's Headline News. But Brett always leaves it at " as long as I feel I can still compete, I can stay healthy, I'm still having fun and the team still wants to pay me" or something like that. He still excels in every category (and I suspect he'd play for no pay if meant Superbowl :wink:). It seems every year for the last 5 they hound him about retirement, but he's still just to damn good to go! (Boy, is that going to suck when he finally does though Crying or Very sad)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 01:10 pm
Oh, well that's good news anyway. A lot of young guys on the team, and a 1-4 start is a pretty bad launching point for a Super Bowl season. But who knows. 12-4 is a perfectly lovely record. :-)
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 03:39 pm
<gustav enters "cheesehead central", throws a molotov cocktail, and departs, cackling.>
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 04:09 pm
I thought we agreed not to tell him about this place? Confused
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 01:01 pm
Hot damn, I hope you're watching Soz!
0 Replies