depression

baz

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 09:31 am
frankly i find life depressing and i know it's quite common these days.i have had treatments for it, happy pills, talking ect nothing seems to work.does any one know of an alternitive treatment please...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,985 • Replies: 30
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 09:36 am
That's a tough one. I alos suffer from bouts of depression. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) worked wonders for me. I have heard that St. John's Wort can help, if you are looking for an herbal treatment, and Kava Kava as well. Just make sure you get them from a reliable source.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 09:49 am
I've been dealing with this for years (and I ain't old). It runs amok in my family, and my uncle's suicide year's ago is still an eye-opener. I've got nothing to tell you about therapeutic options -- though I think it should be said that some patients I've seen tend to surrender a lot of autonomy to their (bad, in my opinion) therapists. Not that this is a bad thing in itself, but it eems to me you've got to be careful about doing what somebody else says you should be doing rather than letting them help you figure out what you should be doing.

I'm not out of the woods by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm learning to cut through the binding cloth of other people's expectations and my own lingering childhood neuroses about trying to please people who just don't require pleasing. I've got a lot more days now when I look in the mirror in the morning and feel all right about what's there -- as trite and cliched as that sounds.

A'right, back to my loan application...

Edit - clarification: what I think I mean is (and by no means am I giving anyone advice or anything), I am learning to identify sources of unproductive stress -- which turns out to be most f the stressors around. When there's too much pointless anxiety buzzing around, it's very tempting to succumb to apathy, stasis, but wasted or unenjoyed days can't be redeemed later.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 05:05 pm
Good thoughts by patio. For some, all that is needed is some friends and fresh air. Maybe start jogging in the morning, something like that.

For others, that doesn't even begin to address the real problem. I recommend keeping track of the times you feel your best.
0 Replies

baz

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 06:45 pm
patiodog wrote:
I've been dealing with this for years (and I ain't old). It runs amok in my family, and my uncle's suicide year's ago is still an eye-opener. I've got nothing to tell you about therapeutic options -- though I think it should be said that some patients I've seen tend to surrender a lot of autonomy to their (bad, in my opinion) therapists. Not that this is a bad thing in itself, but it eems to me you've got to be careful about doing what somebody else says you should be doing rather than letting them help you figure out what you should be doing.

I'm not out of the woods by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm learning to cut through the binding cloth of other people's expectations and my own lingering childhood neuroses about trying to please people who just don't require pleasing. I've got a lot more days now when I look in the mirror in the morning and feel all right about what's there -- as trite and cliched as that sounds.

A'right, back to my loan application...

Edit - clarification: what I think I mean is (and by no means am I giving anyone advice or anything), I am learning to identify sources of unproductive stress -- which turns out to be most f the stressors around. When there's too much pointless anxiety buzzing around, it's very tempting to succumb to apathy, stasis, but wasted or unenjoyed days can't be redeemed later.
thany you for your reply
i know there is no solutions no nothing i wish you all the best.for me the release will come when i die
0 Replies

baz

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 07:04 pm
cavfancier wrote:
That's a tough one. I alos suffer from bouts of depression. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) worked wonders for me. I have heard that St. John's Wort can help, if you are looking for an herbal treatment, and Kava Kava as well. Just make sure you get them from a reliable source.
./to me suicide is the way out i dont care
i can do it. will be an escape promise you..
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 07:08 pm
suicide does nothing but at angish to others. it may solve your problem but it adds to others. suicide is not the way
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 07:11 pm
baz, depression is just a word. We all get down from time to time;pills may or may not help. Under the most stringent conditions, it is the nature of the soul to keep going. That's why I'm here...so talk and talk and talk.

With love from Letty
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 07:15 pm
thats right man. Baz just let it all out here. talk to us. share with us whats wrong. maybe someone here has had the samething going on in their lives and have overcome it and can help you.. can give you incite can show you a light to the darkness
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 07:49 pm
patiodog wrote:
I'm learning to cut through the binding cloth of other people's expectations and my own lingering childhood neuroses about trying to please people who just don't require pleasing. I've got a lot more days now when I look in the mirror in the morning and feel all right about what's there -- as trite and cliched as that sounds.

Thats a good post Patio ... I hope it'll help Baz, but I'm definitely gonna keep it somewhere myself, thx.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 08:31 pm
cavfancier wrote:

And please, if I may add a note of caution to this? Do NOT ever undertake any herbal therapy, as harmless as it may sound, without first checking with your physician and also finding out all you can about ANY prescription drug/herbal interactions. Case in point:

"At a recent herbal conference a person came to the speaker and told her that she had very good luck with St. John's Wort to control her depression. St. John's Wort has been shown to have great potential to control minor depression. The National Institutes of Health is conducting a clinical study to determine the effect of St. John's Wort scientifically. This person, however, continued saying that she is now trying St. John's Wort for her OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). Now, this is getting into unproven uncharted territory. If you are taking prescription medication for this disorder, you can get into trouble due to drug interaction. As shown under the discussion on St. John's Wort, the herb can be quite dangerous, as it acts similar to MAO inhibitors. They have severe side reactions, and if not careful, can even lead to death."

I honestly cannot stress this enough as I have been in a similar situation myself of mixing herbal (what I thought to be completely safe and harmless) meds with a prescription. It nearly landed me in the hospital..

Sorry cav...I never meant to negate the possible benefits that St. john's Wort CAN have in some cases. Kava kava must also be used with caution and most doctors will NOT advise taking it with ANY prescription.

I guess I'm just wanting to say "buyer be aware!"
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 09:02 pm
Baz, we are here to listen. You need to reach out to help nearer to you as well. Where are you? Do you have any counsellers you can talk to?
Suicide is not the answer.

I appreciated Cav's post and will save it myself.

My cousin's husband has dealt with depression for a long long time (I say not because of her, sort of winking, but I guess everything and everybody comes into it.) He is very well read, and was very interested in and participated in Cognitive Therapy, but he didn't make lasting gains with it. Which of course was depressing. There was a lot of additive real life data, things perceived as failures.

As it happened, his wife, my cousin, is now a therapist dealing with a.d.h.d. referral cases, which I will say as an aside I am a tad chary of overdiagnosis.., as I know Dlowan is or used to be - except, at least for me, sometimes I take it really seriously.. Anyway, he tested out off the charts on that, and then was prescribed, and don't quote me, but I think it was quite low level ritalin. Said it was the only thing that worked in all those years.

Backing up, I have a scientific background, and a wary nature, and this is just a story from people with a reason, re wife's career (somewhat) to account for his troubles with a.d.d and to fix it with a drug.

However, he is still much better, and it's been about a decade now.

My personal bias is to Cav's struggle, experience, and viewpoints.

But I think antidepressants and some other drugs - all of which are known to take quite a bit of fine tuning and don't always just work right away - do help a huge number of people.

Other people here on this forum know more about various antidepressant (etc.) drugs than I do.
0 Replies

Bryxamus

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 01:01 am
depression is merely what you make of the situation you find yourself in. take control of your life and take steps to improve it.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 07:28 am
Quote:
./to me suicide is the way out i dont care
i can do it. will be an escape promise you..

My uncle killed himself. It left him a corpse and left deep scars in everybody who knew him. My grandfather died quite unexpectedly a few weeks later. It's a dismal thing to do to people.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 07:37 am
Lady J, you do make good points regarding herbal meds. I haven't taken any since getting therapy, and if I wasn't clear about finding a good source, SHOULD one decide to go that route AND check with your MD first, I'll say it now. Smile Also, yes, do not take herbals with any perscription meds unless your doctor says it's okay.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 07:37 am
You're absolutely right, patiodog. Most suicides are accidental, and often can't be reversed. We have had so many friends go that route, and all they left behind was chaos for those who loved them.

Baz, if you are suffering from clinical depression, help is available.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 02:19 pm
I hope the next story helps you:

2003 was a bad year for me, I suffered from depression and I'm not sure what was the cause.

It all started when I fainted on the New Year's celebration at church. At that time, I was thinking about a grudge I had with my then band members and seeing Jesus on the cross while questioning my religious beliefs. I've always felt a little gloomy when winter comes here, the shortness of daylight, cold weather, rain... it all adds up to make me feel with less energy. Plus, that year I had to do lots of homework for I was in the International Baccalaureate (IB) programme and hadn't done most of my works due january.

After I fainted, I became afraid as I thought what would've happened if my family weren't there. I went to see the school psychologist, and it didn't help me at all. On april, I went to see a psyquiatrist on a recommendation by my girlfriend's father. He gave me Paxil, but I was resistant to take the medicine, so I didn't. Until one night I became so desperated I ended up taking the pills. To my surprise, they worked, but they only worked for 2-3 months before I started feeling like crap again. Doctor told me he saw me much better but I felt almost the same; when I told him that, doctor then gave me another pill to add to the mix and I didn't feel very different but he continued to say I was almost out of treatment so I had to see him less.

November came and I broke up the 1y4m relationship with my girlfriend and the 2y+ relationship with my band. December came and I decided to take less pill dose, it was my own decision. That month, we went on a family vacation to the center states and contrary to what I thought I didn't need the pills at all.

2004 enters, everybody's happy, I had won a battle against depression but I knew I hadn't won the war. On march, I saw Gothika which really scared me as it hit me on my weak spot. By May I was again at a psychologist office, but this time she helped me confirm what I first suspected:

The change is always in yourself, you might need help but the important step is your obligation. It all came down to one decision, a real decision to not be depressed anymore, that was the easiest and hardest decision I've ever taken.

I know I'll feel depressed some other time, but at least now I feel more calm about it since I know it's only temporary and that I have the power to make it short.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 04:24 pm
Personally I think the worst argument you can use to persuade somebody not to kill themselves is that it would hurt their friends and family. If I killed myself, and that caused everyone I knew to become as depressed as I was, I really wouldn't care... because I'd be dead.

My own motive for not killing myself is that as long as I'm alive there's still some hope of me finding someone to fall in love with, which is all I really want.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 11:15 pm
I don't think it's the worst argument... as that the argument I used when I battled depression. And it worked to keep suicide from becoming an option.
0 Replies

baz

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 06:10 am
JoeFX wrote:
I don't think it's the worst argument... as that the argument I used when I battled depression. And it worked to keep suicide from becoming an option.
people depress me in general,
i find them cold ignorant ect ect ect.
they devalue life i did not choose to be here.so i cannot escape it....
0 Replies