To what extent did governmental actions cause antisemitism in Canada?

ibsen

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2017 09:42 pm
Some points include the rejection of the St. Lewis, the harsh regulations on immigration and governmental propaganda but feel free to bring up other issues and their effects.

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 08:04 am
@ibsen,
ibsen wrote:

Some points include the rejection of the St. Lewis, the harsh regulations on immigration and governmental propaganda but feel free to bring up other issues and their effects.

Sorry. No one here is going to do your homework for you.
McGentrix

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 08:06 am
Canada has a long and sordid history of racism. That's one of the reason's they are so apologetic today, they are ashamed of the history of racism their ancestors had. So far as antisemitism goes, you'd have to look at their treatment of the natives and extrapolate from that.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 08:31 am
The US also refused entry to the St Louis.

Christianity has been the main source of antisemitism, historically, so I wouldn't look at governmental action as a reason. Look at the cultural background instead.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 10:47 am
@ibsen,
It's akin to the Islamophobia currently in the US.
0 Replies

ibsen

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 01:15 pm
@tsarstepan,
I didn't necessarily intend for that. It's more that I have an essay over a long course of time and I just wanted some ideas of where to go searching - rather than copy pasting what is said here. Sorry if it came across that way. I felt that the discussion here would inspire me on some of the ideas.
0 Replies

ibsen

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 01:27 pm
@McGentrix,
Treatment of natives being Jewish treatment of Canadians? I just want to make sure I understand. That would make sense since it would be a counter to the initial claim which is always good.
0 Replies

ibsen

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2017 01:29 pm
@Olivier5,
Would it perhaps be wiser then, in your opinion, to rephrase my question into the following:

To what extent was Canadian antisemitism the primary cause of governmental policies against Jewish immigration during WW2?
0 Replies