Dining Out - Who pays when there's a conflict over checks?

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 12:57 pm
Party A is seated in restaurant. Says 5 more are coming and orders drinks. Party B arrives and orders drinks. Waitress comes to take dinner orders. Party A orders and specifies separate checks. Party B orders and says put everything on my check. Party A immediately tells waitress no, I want my own check. Party A has a very good reason for not wanting Party B to pay their check. Waitress indicates they heard Party A's request. Dinner over and waitress brings one check for everything to Party B who pays and will not accept any money from Party A. Party A leaves very angry at waitress for ignoring their clear request. Is Party A justified for this anger and was waitress wrong?

Sturgis

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 01:07 pm
@longfoot,
Since A specified separate checks two times (the first and last requests), and B only asked for a merged check once, I feel the waitress made a mistake. It's annoying; but, I would not spend time stewing over it.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 01:54 pm
Oh for gods sakes! I see this all the time when I help my friend out at his restaurant (hostess) . I feel sorry for waitresses who have to track multiple guest checks at one table. People buying each other drinks, splitting dinners, buying a round of drinks, etc. etc. hits a nightmare for the server who is trying to keep all these meals entered into a computer at the same time to the kitchen.

A said separate checks but B said he was picking everything up. That was the last order heard. The ball was rolling at that time. I really doubt if A's request was acknowledged again. A gesture of Generosity trumps a clerical mess.

When the check came A could have thrown two twenties, or whatever, into the center of the table and say, "i insist."

0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 03:53 pm
This stuff can get to bother one, especially is one is living a low money life for a bunch of time. I remember going to a landscape architect student (or were we past that?) group meeting and us splitting the check, let's say twelve of us. I sailed in late and just had coffee and a small something I don't remember now, since that was over thirty years ago. Someone at the other end said let's split it and there was no dissent.
Should I have spoken up?
I chose not to.
I might still have not, in the same situation, if that happened now.
The weird thing is that I remember this, and I liked, well, more or less, all those people. I think it was a financial blow that affected me that week or month, and I internalized it or my brain did.
This is a stupid thing to remember.. funny how some stuff sticks.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 04:04 pm
Another thing is when the owner picks up the tab - but what about the tip? I think the benefitted person should leave the tip. I have encouraged the owner to say. "Your dinner is on me. Just tip your server."
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 05:34 pm
@longfoot,
longfoot wrote:
Party A leaves very angry at waitress for ignoring their clear request. Is Party A justified for this anger and was waitress wrong?

no and no

Party A should have left an excellent tip for the waitress for putting up with the crap at that table.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 05:35 pm
@longfoot,
longfoot wrote:
Party A has a very good reason for not wanting Party B to pay their check.

if it was a matter of life or death, Party A should have taken care of their bill immediately after ordering .
0 Replies

nacredambition

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 10:29 pm
@longfoot,
Quote:
Party A has a very good reason for not wanting Party B to pay their check

What is Party A's very good reason?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Dining Out - Who pays when there's a conflict over checks?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 06:15:16