Food and Drinks at Chain Restaurants

roger

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 02:45 am
@izzythepush,
Probably a restaurant. Otherwise, it would likely have said Olive Grove instead of Garden.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 03:52 am
@roger,
Probably, although when googled it said permanently closed.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/ldc/large/2281/22812840.jpg
djjd62

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 07:39 am
@izzythepush,
not the american chain

as for the american chain, i liked the olive garden for one thing, the lunch special, the soup, salad and bread basket deal (more salad please) was unbeatable for a quick easy lunch, never ate there for a non lunch meal

the majority of the chain closed in Canada, they were apparently turning a profit, but not enough of a profit

never had anything but a mediocre experience at most chain restaurants when it came to evening dining
farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 07:52 am
@djjd62,
PF CHANG's is our favorite chain restaurant, followed by Applebees, (which is always changing its menu to incorporate seasonal stuff).
Our mostest favoritist restaurants in the US are

French Laundry in Napa

Inn at Little Washington in Va

221 Prime at Chesapeake City Md

the Cazerac in the Roosevelt at NAwlins

The cellar restaurant in Snta Fe

On Lock Sams at STCKTON cal

Fine Grobe su Mer in New Brunswick

The Waco Diner in Eastport Me.

de Starr's Steakhoue in Malvern Pa.

Theres many others around the world but those are our (collective favs) With the Laundry , The Inn, and 221 Prime,... at the very very top.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 08:53 am
Last time I went to the Tomball Applebies, they were supercrowded. We were seated and twiddled our thumbs for 45 minutes without anybody bringing us a menu or offering to get drinks. We ended eating elsewhere. That was about four years ago.
farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 09:06 am
@edgarblythe,
I know that, at the various Applebees in tourist areas during tourist seasons, the best times to get a table are like 3:30 pm bfore the beach crowd drag in.

I like thir food ideas , like their seasonal sriracha glazed shrimp appetizer or the many ways they make "portion controlled" steaks.
I like Apple-bees for their cooking skills and their adherence to a calorie conscious menu. Their service, because theyre so goddamn populr in tourist or shopping areas, is often a big problem.

Ida left with 20 minutes if there was no sign of service in that time. Id say that franchise member will undergo managerial change at some time.
0 Replies

Alberton

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 09:13 am
@glitterbag,
How did you know about them? Did you go there?
ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 10:14 am
@djjd62,
I always liked the Olive Garden salad - I often ordered that lunch special when there was an OG walking distance from work. Better than a lot of posh restaurant offerings.

Red Lobster's garlic cheese biscuits were something I'd eat a fair number of when European relatives wanted to go there. They always loved Red Lobster and Pizza Hut. I liked Red Lobster as they were one of the few chain places that had Rickards Red on tap. My dad, my uncle and I once had so much Rickards that they had to tap a new barrel. Good times (and many funny photos).
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 10:32 am
@izzythepush,
Ugh!

The first McDonald's in Rome, near the Spanish Steps, was the proximate cause of the SlowFood movement. I remember lots of anger about it. Tourists, at least american ones, tended to like it as a known place to find a bathroom.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 10:40 am
@izzythepush,
that Olive Garden was a middle eastern shisha bar
definitely not the American restaurant
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 10:41 am
@ehBeth,
Pizza Hut is a good example: we've got about 100 of this chain here in Germany - they aren't really a success (get their pre-baked pizza dough deep frozen from France)
ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 10:42 am
@glitterbag,
Olive Garden in the US does not represent itself as an Italian restaurant. They describe their menu as Italian-American, which is a very different thing (legit, but different).

Quote:
Olive Garden is an American casual dining restaurant chain specializing in Italian-American cuisine.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 10:44 am
@ehBeth,
It's a Turkish Restaurant in Southampton. (The Olive Garden in Zürich/Switzerland is a kosher restaurant - menu - very nice!)
ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 10:47 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Was.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 10:49 am
@Walter Hinteler,
According to relatives, Pizza Hut in Canada is very different from Pizza Hut in Germany. I don't get their love for it, but I don't have to like the same things other people do.

0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 03:57 pm
@Alberton,
Alberton wrote:

How did you know about them? Did you go there?

I'm not sure what your question is, are you asking me if I've been to the restaurants I mentioned?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 04:03 pm
After talking about all those chain restaurants, I thought about a non-chain in down town Annapolis. We haven't been to the Cafe Normandie in some time and I'm going to try and talk mr. G'bag into heading there tonight. Weekends in Annapolis are terrible for locals but most of the tourists are gone by Sunday night so tonight might be perfect. I do like Cafe Normandie, as well as Middleton's Tavern and the Treaty of Paris. They have maintained fairly high standards and (note to self) we really need to visit them more frequently.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 04:08 pm
My wife loves Whataburger, but hates Wendy's. Personally, a hamburger is a hamburger, and I go by how fresh it is and how clean the burger joint looks. One Tomball burger place has looked dirty for at least ten years. I don't understand why people still eat there.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 04:12 pm
@glitterbag,
Go for it...
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2017 04:29 pm
@ehBeth,
This is interesting. I agree american italian varies and I gather can be tasty, and I know less than you as I'm not local to the US east coast. The San Francisco area, home of some friends, frequented by some italian families, has too many restaurants I haven't tried.
My friend Bonnie, who married a guy whose parents were from the Genoa area, who was well taught by his mother on does and don'ts. I helped (?) her in the kitchen once and she yelled at me to stoppppppp re al dente. Her/his al dente was beefier than mine. Well, we cooked together later and I learned a lot.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 02:55:27