Top front tooth sore after being hit

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2017 10:40 am
I'm 16 and just yesterday my dogs head hit my front tooth pretty hard, it started to hurt right away but it didn't loosen it or anything. It's been a day and my tooth still hurts pretty bad it's like a sharp pain, I've searched many forums and they said my nerve might be fractured and that if it's bad I might need a root canal. I'm really scared on what's going to happen to my tooth, is there any chance the tooth pain my subside and also will my teeth get discolored? My dentist isn't open on the weekends so I have to wait until Monday to make an appointment. Also can I eat with my tooth?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 973 • Replies: 4
No top replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2017 10:55 am
@Johnmelo ,
Have you called the office? there may well be another dentist who may be taking you regular dentists calls over the weekend.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2017 12:31 pm
@Johnmelo ,
You don't need to be scared of a root canal. They aren't that bad. It takes an hour or two, and it hurts for a day. After that, you get a crown and your tooth looks and works like normal. You know people who have had root canals... and you can't tell unless you ask.

Hopefully you won't need a root canal. But even if you do, it isn't the end of the world.

I would try not to use the tooth until I saw a dentist, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Foofie

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2017 02:26 pm
@maxdancona,
Root canal is only annoying, since between the visits, before the actual crown is put on, the temporary cap can fall off during eating, and then one should get it put back on the next day by the dentist. I have just eaten on the other side of the mouth, until the crown is put on. Where's the pain? A needle eliminates all pain. It is annoying for a few hours, while the mouth is numb. And, any soreness the next day only requires some NSAIDS. I believe the horrors of root canal have been greatly overblown by those that have a low threshold of pain.
[Foofie's genome might be quite Neanderthalic?]
0 Replies

MilaCohen

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 03:56 am
@Johnmelo ,
This tooth would require careful examination ,both clinically and radiographically,which i am sure your dentist has done. This tooth would require a root canal treatment ,to remove the damaged nerve. After the root canal treatment ,the tooth can be restored to function.satisfactorily. You will have to get it treated at the earliest.Once the tooth has been drilled through and the damaged nerve/tissue removed ,your tooth will stop giving you sensations. Till that time ,you can continue with your pain medications.
If the root is not fractured but the tooth is dead, it may still be in your mouth for the rest of your life after endodontic treatment is performed.
Another complication is that a front tooth may discolor after trauma. This can be sometimes mitigated with localized bleaching. Sometimes it may need restorative dentistry (veneer) to look right.
Avoid anything very hot and very cold.
0 Replies