Motorcycles are dangerous.

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2017 11:38 pm
Where I live, motorcycles are said to be dangerous.

To me, it is not correct because motorcyclists are vulnerable. They are at the mercy of drivers. I wonder if native speakers also say motorcycles are dangerous.

Thanks.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 379 • Replies: 11
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2017 12:14 am
@tanguatlay,
We do.

We say many things that do not stand up to logic. It's just something you have to live with. You don't have to say these things yourself, but others are going to.
tanguatlay

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2017 02:18 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

We do.

We say many things that do not stand up to logic. It's just something you have to live with. You don't have to say these things yourself, but others are going to.
Thanks, roger.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2017 02:56 am
@tanguatlay,
tanguatlay wrote:
I wonder if native speakers also say motorcycles are dangerous.

I had a motorcycle accident at age 22 that nearly killed me. A motorcycle itself might be dangerous [to ride] if e.g. the brakes or steering don't work properly, or the tyres are deflated or worn, or the petrol tank leaks. Furthermore even if the machine is sound, there are the hazards of the road. A monotrack vehicle is more at risk from bad road surfaces, ice, oil, etc. Also there are other drivers (as Tanguatlay says). Any accident at all is more hazardous because the rider is vulnerable. I think a precise native speaker might well say that motorcycling is (or can be) dangerous.

0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2017 03:54 am
Thanks, centrox.

Your reply confirms what I had always believed to be a phrase wrongly accepted by many people, including native speakers.
centrox

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2017 04:09 am
@tanguatlay,
tanguatlay wrote:
a phrase wrongly accepted by many people

Inexactness or looseness is very common in relaxed or everyday speech and it would be a mistake to call it "wrong". In this case the focus is what leads one into danger. Sometimes it is important to be exact, for example one might fruitfully (not here! Please!) discuss the topic of whether guns or people kill people. To ride a motorcycle is to put oneself in more danger than when using other forms of transport, and to say therefore that "motorcycles are dangerous" is not really "wrong". You can imagine a teenager wanting to get a motorcycle being told that they are "dangerous" by their parents, and seeking to argue that it is the other road users who pose the danger. Whatever the fine language points, the fact remains that the teenager could suffer serious injury or death because of riding that motorcycle.
tanguatlay

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2017 04:11 am
@centrox,
Thanks, centrox.

Noted.
tanguatlay

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2017 06:08 am
@tanguatlay,
Hi centrox, you had a motorcycle accident at age 22 that nearly killed you. I forgot to ask you what happened in the accident. Were you badly injured? It saddens me to hear that.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2017 06:51 am
I was riding my motorcycle when a pedestrian tried to cross the road in front of me without looking, and I swerved to avoid her. I fell off and hit my face on the kerb. I was knocked unconscious, broke nine teeth and my nose in two places. I was, perhaps, exaggerating when I said I "nearly died". I could have put it better by saying "I could easily have been killed". I was in hospital for 2 weeks.
tanguatlay

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2017 07:06 am
@centrox,
Thanks, centrox, for sharing your unpleasant experience.

In your case, I think I should say that pedestrians are dangerous.
Roberta

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2017 07:45 am
@tanguatlay,
Yes, you can say that inattentive pedestrians are dangerous, but it's likely that centrox would not have so badly injured if he'd been in a car. And he would not have been injured at all if he'd been a pedestrian himself.

Why not just leave "motorcycles are dangerous" as an acceptable thing to say, regardless of the specifics?
centrox

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2017 09:21 am
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:
it's likely that centrox would not have so badly injured if he'd been in a car.

It's certain that I would not have injured physically at all, however the pedestrian would have been severely injured or killed. I agree that it is fine to say that "motorcycles are dangerous".
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Motorcycles are dangerous.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 08:11:35