Open Close - CAE

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2017 09:02 am

Hello, can i ask you, why it is not possible to fil the gap with "Because". Thanks a lot ! Smile

............... there has been more interest – the number of tourists to the area has risen by a third in five years.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,537 • Replies: 3
No top replies

blatham

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2017 10:10 am
@MartinoKakabo,
By "gap" I presume you refer to the ellipses (.......)

"Because" suggests cause of something. "I got a hamburger because I was hungry" or "These birds migrate from Alaska to South America because during winter their food supplies in Alaska disappear".

In your example it might not be the case that a rise in tourism is caused by increased interest (or perhaps "increased interest" isn't specific enough as an explanation). It could be, for example, a local drop in the cost of rental properties or a new amusement park, etc.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2017 10:15 am
@MartinoKakabo,
"Because" can be translated to mean "and the reason is that."

There has been more interest "and the reason is that" the number of tourists to the area has risen...

Or

The number of tourists to the area has risen "and the reason is that" there has been more interest.

The number of tourists to the area has risen BECAUSE there has been more interest.

Or you might mean (and I do not know).

There has been more interest in this geographic location "and the evidence for that is the fact that" the number of tourists to the area has risen.

If the above is more your meaning, then you could say

There has been more interest in this geographic location, and I know that because the number of tourists to the area has risen.

I hope that helps.

MartinoKakabo

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2017 02:09 pm
@dupre,
Thanks a lot guys! Smile I get it already! Smile

Just FYI: The correct answer in the gap should be: "Although/While
0 Replies