What happens after the GOP repeals Obamacare?

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 02:24 pm
The GOP doesn't have a replacement, but the repeal will take away health insurance from over 20 million Americans. I hope the GOP is stupid enough to destroy their own party.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 10 • Views: 4,321 • Replies: 123

McGentrix

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 02:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
How will repealing Obamacare take anyone's health insurance away?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 03:04 pm
@McGentrix,
Really?

http://www.vox.com/2016/11/9/13487772/trump-obamacare-repeal
Sturgis

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 03:07 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Let's start with a more positive approach and ask 'What happens if the GOP repeals...'. It's not a done deal yet.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 03:10 pm
@Sturgis,
The GOP has been trying to repeal Obamacare for many years; I think they've tried it over 50 times. Now with Trump to approve it, what's going to hold them back?

http://wonkette.com/592434/donald-trump-will-repeal-obamacare-replace-it-with-terrific-fence

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/11/09/501203831/trump-can-kill-obamacare-with-or-without-help-from-congress
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 03:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I don't know. Their will be winners and there will be losers. For some, it will be a disaster, and their stories will be the ones we hear from.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 03:48 pm
Perhaps the "repeal" will take form in opening up insurance policies to competitive bidding. That would be one area that could be repealed.
roger

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 03:56 pm
@PUNKEY,
Yeah, the devil is always in the details. Obamacare had some strong points, but I rate it as a negative overall.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 04:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

The GOP doesn't have a replacement, but the repeal will take away health insurance from over 20 million Americans. I hope the GOP is stupid enough to destroy their own party.

Until they make an actual move this year we can only guess.
seac

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 04:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
People can go back to whatever medical insurance they had before Obamacare. In my town, the old providers still exists. One new provider that tried to enlist members for Obamacare here went into debt or isn't doing well.
roger

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 04:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
Seems like we're all sitting around, hoping Trump and the Republican congress will screw up badly. I'm hoping it will work out well, though I admit to some reservations.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 04:40 pm
@seac,
What's the name of that insurance company?
It seems health insurance companies were taking a beating with many declaring bankruptcy. One company said they lost $1 billion.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 05:09 pm
I'm thinking they're going to tweak it and give it another name. I seriously doubt they'd leave twenty million people without insurance.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 05:16 pm
@InfraBlue,
That would seem like a good way to commit suicide for the party.
0 Replies

seac

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 07:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Cicerone, it was the Hawaii Health Connector. Seems it was closed down for insufficient membership. It was endorsed by the State.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 10:37 pm
I hear there will be death squads and death chambers. You can voluntarily report to the nearest chamber or they will come get you if you're sick and can't afford insurance.
TomTomBinks

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 01:28 am
@giujohn,
Will they provide transportation or bill you later?
giujohn

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 06:32 am
@TomTomBinks,
Transportation provided; the rich will have to pay higher taxes ...So that should be some consolation.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2017 12:54 pm
Prior to Obamacare the number of uninsured Americans was cited as 40 million. A not insignificant number, but it included people who chose not to be insured.

Since Obamacare, the number of these people to now have insurance is between 15 and 30 million.

Any GOP replacement isn't going to throw all of these people into the ranks of the uninsured, but even if it did, it would not create a groundswell of anti-GOP sentiment.

Obamacare didn't come about because 40 million or so uninsured people were wielding a powerful political stick. If it disappears all together (which it won't) its not likely to create a new political force.

There's been much braying about WV coal mine workers who voted for Trump and may end up disappointed with his "repeal & replace." Perhaps, but Trump didn't win the election on the back of WV coal mine workers, and to the extent that he received his support, it wasn't based entirely on healthcare issues.

Regardless of the cost, everyone loves the pre-existing condition provision of Obamacare. That is not going to go away with the GOP "replace."

This issue isn't anywhere near as important as Obama and Dems would like to make it out to be.
farmerman

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2017 10:07 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
He did win wrt to Pa coal miners who, despite the facts in front of them, voted for Trump. They ere a significant numbr of people who didnt like the facts tht HRC gave them (job retraining and increasing short term benefits).
Trump promised to "bring back coal mining jobs to Pa and Ohio"
Meanwhile a huge number of power plants have converted to Nat gas already.
The Dems mantra for national elections is that they could win Pa with only 10 counties. The other counties in Pa were mostly the lumber and coal counties, and they accounted for Pa turning red in this election.
Did Trump knowingly lie?(I think hes just ignorant of most things that he claims to have "natural" expertise)
We can only wait to see but I dont think theres a huge groundswell to re-institute coal plants nd "metallurgical grade coal " for the remaining metals plnts
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What happens after the GOP repeals Obamacare?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.83 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 11:03:37