Best possible translation of my name into Hebrew

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2017 10:48 pm
Hi I'd like to translate my first and last names into Hebrew. I know that Hebrew translations are difficult, but would like the best possible translation of my name and how to pronounce it and the meaning of it

My name is Becky Biddick

For my first name I got on google translate:
‎בקי
On inspection I got different meanings of it such as captivating and versed.
And as to pronounce it seems like "Backy"

I tried my first name on http://stevemorse.org/hebrew/eng2heb.html?english=Becky&dialect=sephardic
And translated it back on Google translate and got my name returned plus "crying".

I have not been able to translate my last name. It is an old English word that has changed over centuries when I've done ancestry research on it. A site says it means "by the ditch".
I tried it on that Steve morse site and got
‎בידיק, בידיך
Which translated back is "widick, hands".
The characters seem similar to my first name?
Would it be
‎בקי בידיק for my full name?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,346 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2017 11:08 pm
@captiviating92,
That name Becky (if it is Rebecca formally) is actually a Hebrew name in its origins. The English name or pronunciation is Rivka. if you look at that online source you listed and put in name of Rebecca, you'll see the Hebrew letters spelled out.

Steve Morse site suggests רבקה, רבכה

As for your last name, you can not exactly translate it to a particular Hebrew name. However, if you choose to, you can assign certain Hebrew letters to spell out Biddick . This is your personal choice.

Steve Morse suggests: בידיק, בידיך
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 01:47 pm
Furthermore, if you enter a search in Wikipedia, you'll see a further explanation of the meaning and Hebraic definition of the name Rebecca. One such definition is to "Tie hands firmly".

Have you extended your research and looked into Wikipedia?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 02:50 pm
I thought that Eastern European Jews did not have last names until some Russian Czar mandated that Jews take on a last name. Since German Jews were then the elite of world Jewry, Russian Jews often took on a German surname. Sephardic Jews likely had older names. But, this surname sounds strictly Gentile, so how would there be a Hebrew translation? Also, Jews change their surnames as they have moved from country to country. In my opinion, Jews do not play that game, of some WASPS, where a surname has a long and noble history. In my opinion, all Jews have is a fairly mixed DNA gene pool, at least in Israel. In other places it may be less diverse. Take my name, but leave my DNA alone, please.
0 Replies