Non believers : Explain exorcism

giujohn

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 06:22 am
@Patches,
Holyshit...you mean my cat coughed up a demon?
0 Replies

trevorw2539

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 06:34 am
@chai2,
I don't remember saying I believed possessions are real. What I said was that there are many things we do not know, the science cannot yet exclaim. Undoubtedly most 'possessions' are mental, but does that mean all? I'm not a doctor but it seems to me that in certain cases a person who believes they are possessed by a devil could be helped by an 'exorcism'. Placebo effect?

77 years and I've seen many things that have yet to be explained. That is not to say they never will be as we progress. Who knows what future revelations may reveal?
trevorw2539

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 06:52 am
@InfraBlue,
Especially when the early books are a mishmash of earlier beliefs and practices and stories made up around 700BCE
0 Replies

timur

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 06:54 am
Trevorw2539 wrote:
the science cannot yet exclaim.

Ah!

It seems to me that, for an agnostic, you are still too much affected by your previous religion.
trevorw2539

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 09:40 am
@timur,
You mean that science can explain everything now? I would love to know how my friend could tell me what I had dreamt (3 different dreams) when she knew nothing, and no-one else, knew the subject of my dream. Dreams which, by the way, came true.
Dreams are usually put down to the brain sorting out a million things it has picked up during the day as side issues. Something that your eyes have noticed, but not important enough to register in the immediate situation. Or things that you have been subconsciously thinking about or from stored memories over
time.
OT prophecies are often simply the writers ability to understand situations and work them through.
We had 2 'prophets' in the UK in the last century. Churchill could see the rise of Germany and the possibility of war. Most ignored him, and we were unprepared.
A politician stood up in Parliament and made what most regarded as an inflamatory, racist speech. Yet his predictions are coming true.

Sorry. I tend to waffle on.

There's a lot we have yet to learn through science.
giujohn

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 09:59 am
@trevorw2539,
You're not looking hard enough for the answers.
trevorw2539

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 10:04 am
@giujohn,
So where do I go.
giujohn

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 10:22 am
@trevorw2539,
As far away from religion as possible... The cruellest hoax ever perpetrated on mankind. If it were not for religion we would have had the internet 500 years ago.
timur

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 10:27 am
@trevorw2539,
Trevorw2539 wrote:
the science cannot yet exclaim.

Timur wrote:
Ah!

Trevorw2539 wrote:
You mean that science can explain everything now?

No, but I can exclaim if I want to..

No, science cannot explain everything and probably will never explain everything.

Science is limited by human comprehension, which is to say that it has a long way to go.

However, some humans seem a lot less advanced than others, as one can seen in your description of your dreams.

Before making those statements, you should learn a lot more on available neurosciences.

Many dreams and prescience are explained already by the way the brain processes information.

Info is sometimes delayed during its transit through dendrites and neurons.

It gives the impression that you "foresee" something while it's only delayed processed information.

Same with intuition and other phenomena.

People believe in witchcraft and ghosts but it surely cannot be proved..

0 Replies

trevorw2539

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 11:44 am
@giujohn,
The cruellist trick ever perpetrated on man was when god created woman from a rib. OOOOOPS Only joking folks..

I'm not looking to religion. I'm looking to science. I accept evolution. However I have spent years studying the Bible against the background, history and culture of ancient civilisation on which it was written. That's why I am now agnostic. When studied against the above the Bible fails miserably.
0 Replies

Villion

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 11:50 am
@Krumple,
To call a posession a mental illness doesn't change anything. They are both names for the same thing. If exorcism was used togehter with medication and the patient got cured I would rather believe he was cured by exorcism, this cure being wrongly attributed to medicatioons.

For medications to treat mental illnesses are drugs. All they do is to block dopamine receptors in the brain.But the organism compensates the lack of active receptors in the brain by creating new receptors so that the number of them become greater than normal. That leads to the constant necessity to block superfluous receptors again and again. That means taking in drugs constantly without being cured at all. If one stops taking drugs one has a relapse to the original state of mental illness only worsened by surplus of created receptors. One can say that medication against mental illnesses make them deeper and worse, creating dependance on them for life.

The known cases of cure of mental illnesses all took place when the patient refused or gave up the use of medication. The most famous case is the mathematician John Nash who recovered from scisophrenia only when he gave up medication unconditionally, completely and for good.
0 Replies

Villion

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 12:02 pm
@giujohn,
It's usual to blame religion for all bad things, but I see for the first time blaiming it for the internet not appearing earlier than it appeared. And why do you suppose the internet should have appeared 500 years ago. Is there a special reason for this dating? What about atomic weapon? How earlier would atomic weapon have appeared?
Villion

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 12:28 pm
@heyidc,
It's better not to make premature conclusions. Those who say don't know, those who know don't talk.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 12:49 pm
@Villion,
Do you know how long ago the atom was proposed?
Villion

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 01:06 pm
@giujohn,
The atom hypothesis has existed as long as humanity has existed.
trevorw2539

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 02:04 pm
@Villion,
Humanity has existed for tens of thousands of years. The first known theory I know of is by a Greek in the 5th centuryBCE - Democritus? Some talk about Libyan Glass lumps found, as being the result of an atomic explosion, or possibly alien activity. Meteor strikes is the probable answer.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 11:21:14