Non believers : Explain exorcism

heyidc

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2017 11:25 am
I do believe in beings apart from humans but this is a rather open minded discussion. For people who don't believe in ghosts and possessions and demons, how do you explain successful exorcisms? Looking forward to hearing different viewpoints and please don't direct me to random articles on the internet .

Krumple

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2017 11:35 am
@heyidc,
heyidc wrote:

I do believe in beings apart from humans but this is a rather open minded discussion. For people who don't believe in ghosts and possessions and demons, how do you explain successful exorcisms? Looking forward to hearing different viewpoints and please don't direct me to random articles on the internet .

I've never seen a legitimate exorcism case. Sure there are lots of claims but I haven't found any of them convincing.

Here is the thing. If possession works then the person being possessed isn't responsible for actions preformed while possessed.

I think every case called possession are just cases of misunderstood mental illness. The cure for the possession was mistaken unknowingly by the medication that was helping the mental illness at the same time the exorcism took place.
giujohn

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2017 12:49 pm
@heyidc,
Histrionics.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2017 12:59 pm
@heyidc,
Quote:
how do you explain successful exorcisms?
Hey, luck
Irresistible pun
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2017 01:00 pm
@Krumple,
I think that explains it well enough. Exorcism is based on superstitious ignorance and usually targets the mentally ill.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2017 01:23 pm
Quote:
how do you explain successful exorcisms?

Possessions: superstition
Exorcisms: superstition
0 Replies

trevorw2539

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2017 04:36 pm
Surely before answering the question 'how do you explain exorcism?' one should ask the question 'what is possession'?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2017 06:15 pm
@Krumple,
That was answered here Trevor...

Krumple wrote:

I think every case called possession are just cases of misunderstood mental illness.
heyidc

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2017 11:42 pm
A lot of you (though not all) are saying it's superstition. I've never witnessed an exorcism myself, will probably never do and it's safe to say I'm very far away from anything related to exorcism and thus, would request to be excused for my lack of knowledge on the subject.
However, am I to understand what most of you are basically saying is that exorcisms are never "successful"? I've read that most of you think the so called possessions are mental illnesses. Surely, mental illnesses cannot be cured by chanting "in the name of God, and the Holy Spirit"? This would mean that there are no exorcisms which have been able to bring the possessed/mentally ill person back to normal behaviour. Right?
heyidc

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2017 11:47 pm
@dalehileman,
Lmaooooo true though
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 05:21 am
@heyidc,
Please provide an example of a successful exorcism.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 05:35 am
@heyidc,
An exorcism can likely be successful in the sense that the participants believe it so. When I was a kid dependent on the minister for my ride home, I had occasion to witness, after the service ended, his expelling of a "demon" from a man. He put his hands on the man and wrestled with the demon a few moments. The man was in obvious distress. Then his features relaxed and he thanked the minister and we all went home. Instead of being impressed, I viewed it even then as an exercise in self deception.
0 Replies

nacredambition

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 07:59 am
@heyidc,
Exorcising is good for staving off incipient decrepitude, in the name of all that is holistic I compel you to answer, are you active?
0 Replies

trevorw2539

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 09:01 am
@chai2,
Thanks. I saw that but I question that it is that simple.

I'm now in my late 70's and in my early days was a Christian. After years of Bible study, preaching and for a time leading a small church I began to realise that Christianity was based on doubtful interpretations of the OT. I am now agnostic. However, I am fully aware that there are things we do not yet understand. My own experiences show me we have much more to learn. How could a friend approach me and tell me exactly what I dreamt the night before, particularly as it involved something NO-ONE but myself knew about. And that dream coming true. 3 times that happened with different dreams, and the same person.
I was an 'erk' (ordinary airmen) returning to camp one night and as I got off a bus I felt giddy and sick. I 'knew' an aircraft was going to crash and could do nothing about it. An Officer Cadet crashed and was killed late the night.
I have had other experiences for which I have sought answers without success.
And I am not out of the ordinary. I've met others who have had similar experiences. We still have a lot to learn.

I saw quite a lot o f spirits in my youth. But I'm Teetotal now.
Patches

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 09:33 am
@trevorw2539,
1 Peter 5:8. Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
chai2

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 09:53 am
@trevorw2539,
trevorw2539 wrote:

Thanks. I saw that but I question that it is that simple.

And yet, it is that simple.

Mental illness, or attention seeking, suggestibility, a physical reason, etc.
trevorw2539

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 09:57 am
@Patches,
Satan is the Christian adaptation of Judaisms HaSatan. HaSatan was created by Jahweh as a messenger and servant.His purpose was to test men's faith in Jahweh. 'Job' passed the test. Jesus passed the test according to the Bible.
Christianity adapted HaSatan (Jahwehs servant) into Satan (Gods enemy).
The NT has Jewish beliefs adapted for Christianity.
trevorw2539

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 09:58 am
@chai2,
OK. You're entitled to your opinion.
Patches

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 09:59 am
There are some psychiatrists that help in exorcisms. And there are some that will tell their patients with psychotic disorders like schizophrenia that their symptoms may be do to evil spirits.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2017 10:01 am
@Patches,
Nobody's perfect.

1. Forums
  2. » Non believers : Explain exorcism
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 10:40:49