power outage blew compressor on fridge

Sat 31 Dec, 2016 12:02 pm
We had a power outage on Christmas Eve. When it came back on, a power strip actually blew out blue sparks and began to smolder. Later, we noticed that the fridge wasn't working - well, it makes a humming noise. A repairman told me that it's the compressor/computer board. My question is - could the wiring in the outlet after an outage lose volts? I'd hate to buy a new compressor and find out that it's the outlet.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,223 • Replies: 4
Topic Closed
No top replies

dalehileman

Sat 31 Dec, 2016 01:17 pm
@annganita,
Ann it's a good q and hope we get a good ans. In my own experience, I've found a momentary power outage causes poorly-designed software to blow

Eng help
0 Replies

Blickers

Sat 31 Dec, 2016 04:00 pm
Want to check your house outlet voltage? Takes a few seconds. Here's a good video.

PS: It is not necessary to buy a professional Fluke multimeter. You can buy a nice multimeter from Walmart or any store that carries auto parts for $10 or so.

In the US, the reading should be 120 Volts. You would need a different video for a different country outside the US.
0 Replies

centrox

Sun 1 Jan, 2017 03:52 am
@annganita,
Connect the fridge to a different outlet. If it still does the humming and does not work, the outlet was not the problem. Also plug a lamp into the original outlet and see if it shines at full brightness.

0 Replies

DianaHaddock

Tue 5 Feb, 2019 11:52 pm
Hey, I had the same problem on my refrigerator of malfunction of the compressor which can be solved by proper maintenance.
0 Replies