Key Limes and Energy Levels

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2016 02:22 pm
Hi, I recently conducted a sf experiment where I hypothesized that consuming key limes can increase energy levels. I used a conductivity machine and a key lime solution to conduct my experiment. There hasn't been any research that I could find that could directly support my claim. However, since I have advanced to the next round I had to find up some type of information somewhere and my judge from Georgia Tech said that I was on the right track and that I should try to redirect my claim toward something that related to how our body uses electricity and how consuming key limes would have an effect on that(if that makes sense). The other judge suggested that I research electrolysis and I did, and that was not enough. So I researched some info about how ions (which I know key limes have) are used in our body. Ions generate electricity and our body uses electricity to do everything right? Electricity is used to send signals throughout our body from out brain telling us what to do right? So if key limes can conduct electricity that our body needs to function, wouldn't consuming them have some type of impact on our overall "energy" level. And I quote energy because one of my judges from Georgia Tech pointed out that when we use the term energy in relation to our body, people coorilate that term to feeling "energized". Not to say that people wouldn't feel energized but just because you consume something that is supposed to increase your energy level and you don't feel energized doesn't necessarily mean that you aren't being energized right? Or is it that the state of being "energized" when it comes to food some can have some type of placebo effect. I hope I'm making some type of sense and I'm not just rambling. Thank you in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,499 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Blickers

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2016 03:07 pm
Seems to me the first thing you need to do is decide how you are going to measure "energy" levels. How do other researchers measure it, or has any researcher ever measured it? If not, you're a pioneer.

Not being a scientist, I can only make a suggestion or two. How about measuring resting heart rate? Seems easy to do. From the Livestrong website:
Quote:
Metabolism is defined as the "physical and chemical processes in the body that convert or use energy," according to the National Institutes of Health. This energy is used by every cell in the body for all functions including heart rate, lung function and digestion.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/306158-heart-rate-metabolism/

If not heart rate, perhaps some other easily measurable aspect of metabolism might prove useful. I suggest you check out the page I linked for ideas, it seems like a good place to start.
Ciara1127

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2016 03:58 pm
@Blickers,
Thank you. I really appreciate your response even though you aren't a "scientist". I agree with you on me being a pioneer at this and I think that's why I need as much help as I can get in trying to prove my point. And what you said about measuring resting heart rate sounds like best thing that I can do. And being that I am only in high school and I can't even find my research topic on the internet, I think judges will accept me measuring resting heart rate and maybe from there they can give me a better suggestion for next time. Thank you. Your advice is greatly appreciated.
Blickers

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2016 10:06 pm
@Ciara1127,
Glad I could be of some help. Keep us posted as to how this idea works out for you-I would certainly like to know.
0 Replies