Reading - correct answer

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2016 04:56 pm
Hi everyone! Smile I try to do this Reading as a prepration for CAE exam. I would like to know why the correct answer is A). I can't find anything about artefact and it seems rather weird to me! Can anyone it check it out? Smile
Thanks!

The silence of historians on the subject of colour, or more particularly their difficulty in conceiving colour as a
subject separate from other historical phenomena, is the result of three different sets of problems. The first
concerns documentation and preservation. We see the colours transmitted to us by the past as time has altered
them and not as they were originally. Moreover, we see them under light conditions that often are entirely
different from those known by past societies. And finally, over the decades we have developed the habit of
looking at objects from the past in black-and-white photographs and, despite the current diffusion of colour
photography, our ways of thinking about and reacting to these objects seem to have remained more or less black
and white.

What is the first reason the writer gives for the lack of academic work on the history of colour?
A There are problems of reliability associated with the artefacts available.
B Historians have seen colour as being outside their field of expertise.
C Colour has been rather looked down upon as a fit subject for academic study.
D Very little documentation exists for historians to use.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,716 • Replies: 3
No top replies

contrex

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2016 05:40 pm
Do you know what an "artefact" is?
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2016 06:16 pm
@MartinoKakabo,
Quote:
about artefact
Apparently Brit for "artifact"

https://www.google.com/?client=safari&channel=mac_bm#channel=mac_bm&q=artefacts+definition
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2016 06:25 pm
MAIN IDEA:
The silence of historians on the subject of colour, or more particularly their difficulty in conceiving colour as a subject separate from other historical phenomena, is the result of three different sets of problems.

1. The first concerns documentation and preservation. We see the colours transmitted to us by the past as time has altered them and not as they were originally.

2. Moreover, we see them under light conditions that often are entirely
different from those known by past societies.

3. And finally, over the decades we have developed the habit of
looking at objects from the past in black-and-white photographs and, despite
the current diffusion of colour photography, our ways of thinking about and reacting to these objects seem to have remained more or less black
and white.

The clue in #1 is : A There are problems of reliability associated with the artefacts available.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Reading - correct answer
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 09:26:15