Confessions of a Cheese Rebel

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 03:50 pm
@Builder,
I've read the name Halloumi a bunch of times, but keep forgetting what exactly it is. Now I'll remember, it's cheese.
Builder

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 03:57 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Described as a soft white cheese, with just a hint of mint.
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 04:09 pm
@Builder,
I seem to mix it up in my brain pan as a kind of hot and flavorful sauce from some place like Morocco. Hmmm, I wonder what that is.
Builder

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 04:20 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Not sure, but it sounds good. My partner puts chilly flakes on things I consider to be hot.

She also introduced my to tumeric banana smoothies with black pepper.
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 04:33 pm
@Builder,
I use turmeric a lot, but mostly on vegetables I'm sauteing, and they also get chile flakes, s & p. Those, or on scrambled eggs. Oh, and in my home concocted hummus.

I may need to try it in a banana smoothie (I add yogurt + almond milk or whatever ordinary milk). Meantime, I'm reducing salt, somewhat, and increasing black pepper, somewhat.

One of the enjoyable things left in the world is the many words for what we call in my neighborhood chile. My city, Albuquerque, is in New Mexico, and Mexico isn't far, and uses different spelling. I forget what Texans call it, what my old home area California called it. Someone should make a chart..
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2017 04:44 pm
I remember being stunned when I first ate very h0t food, such as Hunan or Sichuan and some from India.

I gather hot can be trouble for people with digestion problems, which so far I've been free of. Knock on old wood.

Builder

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2017 12:17 am
@ossobucotemp,
My friends in the Kimberley would eat raw birds eye chillies with their hot chillie con carne meals.

I'm not into crying and runny noses while I eat, so I just take it steady with the hot seasonings.

I did enjoy putting chillie, garlic, and ginger in with the mud crabs while they cooked. Nice flavour addition.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2017 02:18 am
http://maps.bonzle.com/h/y/2/i/fy50o.jpg

This kind of mudcrab....
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2017 08:19 am
@Builder,
Quote:
I remember reading somewhere that cooking cheese renders it almost indigestible.

Not True! Try reheating leftover pizza in a pan with a little olive oil. Heat both sides.. I like it better than when it was fresh and I haven't seen any undigested cheese come out :-o

But if you're right and it doesn't digest, what a delicious way to cut calories!
But microwaving leftover pizza does make it inedible.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2017 09:19 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:
I remember reading somewhere that cooking cheese renders it almost indigestible.
We've a cheese here, called cook-cheese, very similar to the French Cancoillotte.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2017 10:59 am
When I first moved to live on my own, I decided one week to treat myself to a lobster dinner. I had tried it before and craved a bit more. But I was uneducated, as I still am, in many respects. I ordered Lobster Newburg. That stuff was more than disgusting and the cost was ridiculous. I assumed that the Newburg was a kind of cheese, because it was that horrible. I did not discover until this morning that there is no cheese in the recipe. Go figure.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2017 12:56 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

margo wrote:
I like to serve kangaroo, also.

Does it taste like chicken?

Nope. Needs to be very lightly seared - and it's a bit gamey.

Overcooked kangaroo tastes like boot leather.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2017 02:46 pm
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/compound-found-semen-aged-cheese-shows-promising-effects-against-heart-disease-1591448

Now that puts cheese in a new light?
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2017 01:40 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Not True! Try reheating leftover pizza in a pan with a little olive oil. Heat both sides..

You'd need a little oil to do this. Cooking mozarella cheese "liberates" the oil, leaving behind a chewy curd, that is basically glue for the intestines.

I used to make the occasional pizza using Lebanese flat bread as a base. I cannot stand eating all those savoury and oily toppings on top of a salty flour cake base, like most commercial pizzas are these days.

My favoured toppings were sliced black olives, red peppers, anchovies, and a full-flavoured cheddar. Mozarella even tastes indigestible before you cook it.
Builder

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2017 01:43 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
We've a cheese here, called cook-cheese,

Looks more like a bechemel sauce than a cheese, per-se.

I like to make up a milk-based cheese sauce for some green vegetables.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2017 02:50 pm
@Builder,
Quote:
Mozzarella even tastes indigestible before you cook it.

I've had no trouble with mozzarella and considering my digestive issues, this tells me it can't be all that bad. Besides which, if it were so dangerous, pizza would never have gained such a loyal and large following and fan base of contented eaters.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2017 02:54 pm
@Sturgis,
I've quite enjoyed fresh buffalo mozzarella back on my now long ago trips to Italy. Hmmm, I need to buy some lottery tickets one of these days. Too bad I'm squeamish about throwing away money.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2017 03:42 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
I've had no trouble with mozzarella and considering my digestive issues, this tells me it can't be all that bad. Besides which, if it were so dangerous, pizza would never have gained such a loyal and large following and fan base of contented eaters.

Yeah, I said "tastes" indigestible. If there were a way to make it even more bland, I'm sure they'd have tried it. And that pretty-much sums up the pizza industry, for mine. Have to add anchovies and olives to give it some zing.

Such is the lot of the fast-food industry. Bland it down to the lowest common denominator, which is why we used to make our own pizzas, and use real tasty cheddar cheese, and parmigiana.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2017 11:08 pm
@Builder,
Builder wrote:
You'd need a little oil to do this. Cooking mozarella cheese "liberates" the oil, leaving behind a chewy curd, that is basically glue for the intestines.
That's totally different if you use real (buffalo) mozarella.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2017 12:02 am
@Builder,
You need anchovies? Try crushed red peppers instead, if you need more zing and less yuck.