Double feature anyone?

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 01:20 pm
When was the last time you did a double header at the movie theater (two or more movies on the same day?

What did you see? Was it a typical movie theater or a drive-in theater? Did you pay for the first and sneak into the second* (I won't tell)?

Do you still have a local drive-in theater?

*Also assuming the statute of limitations, yada yada....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,676 • Replies: 10
No top replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 01:48 pm
@tsarstepan,
Back in the late seventies and early eighties, husband and I saw hundreds of movies at the Fox Venice, many of which were double bills as they related to each other in some way. If I contemplate, maybe I can remember some of the pairings, but even then, dunno what we saw the last time before the theater was closed (remodeling/asbestos/became an indoor swap meet facility).

I've posted about the Fox Venice before here, popular place for good reason. Inexpensive too. We weren't the only ones seeing lots of movies that were from around the world, and were produced in varying years - big learning experience.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 02:01 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

When was the last time you did a double header at the movie theater (two or more movies on the same day?

What did you see? Was it a typical movie theater or a drive-in theater? Did you pay for the first and sneak into the second* (I won't tell)?

Do you still have a local drive-in theater?

*Also assuming the statute of limitations, yada yada....

The last time I saw a multi feature movie was nearly forty years ago. A drive in that no longer exists. They showed us five Clint Eastwood westerns in a row. High Plains Drifter, Joe Kidd, Hang Em High. Don't remember the others for sure.

Over the past decade or two they built a new drive in to the east of where I live. We have not gone there, because the weather is not conducive to having a good time and we also worry about mosquitoes.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 03:07 pm
@tsarstepan,
Several years back, before the multiplex phenomenon took off, I used to see a few movies in the same day if I was in the city (New York). Take in a movie, then, go across the street or down the block and see the next movie. If time and schedules were properly arranged, I would then head to the third theater in a five or six block area.

Never was in a drive-in theater; however, I once passed by one while on a Greyhound bus going to or maybe returning from Santa Fe (New Mexico).
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 07:01 pm
Ditto Sturgis. Never went to a drive-in. Went to two movies in the same day, one across the street from the other. The only double feature I remember is A Man and a Woman and Two for the Road.
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 07:10 pm
@Roberta,
Well, there's a good pairing (to me)!
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 07:16 pm
@ossobucotemp,
There was a drive-in in west Los Angeles named the Olympic, long before '84 when the Olympics actually showed up there. Yep, it faced Olympic Blvd. and I think the cross street was Bundy, not sure. I was there several times as a child and I think as a teen....

aha! http://www.gregssandbox.com/drivein/olympic_drive-in.htm
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 07:27 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Interesting link, to me. I'd no idea it showed x rated stuff before it closed, but that sort of makes sense. Closed in '73 - I would have been just over 30, and a busy woman. So: I could have been there in my teens, but don't remember it as a date (I would remember, as I was a slow teen.)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2016 05:48 am
@tsarstepan,
I dont think my butt would take it too well. I get a crick after one 2 hour movie and Im usually draped all over the seat like some teen ager . Not that Im being cool but my hip and back cannot take sitting in one lockled down position for too long. WAIT TILL YOURE 65 PUNK!!
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2016 11:36 am
@farmerman,
I was being loose with my double header term.

Yesterday, I went to see Julieta at 12:30 then went to lunch afterwards. Returning at 4:30 to watch Jackie.

That was my most recent double feature.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2016 07:24 am
@tsarstepan,
The last double feature I attended was last year at the Fox Theater in Atlanta, GA.

Young Frankenstein & Blazing Saddles.

It was awesome!
0 Replies