RIP Zsa Zsa Gabor, 99...

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 07:47 pm
Quote:
Actress Famous for Her Glamour (and Her Marriages), Dies at 99

Zsa Zsa Gabor, the Hungarian actress whose self-parodying glamour and revolving-door marriages
to millionaires put a luster of American celebrity on a long but only modestly successful career in
movies and television, died on Sunday in Los Angeles. She was 99.

The cause was heart failure, her longtime publicist Edward Lozzi said.

Married at least eight times, calling everyone “Dahlink,” flaunting a diamonds-and-furs lifestyle and
abetted by gossip columnists and tabloid headline writers, Ms. Gabor played the coiffed platinum
femme fatale in plunging necklines in dozens of film and television roles, many of them cameos as
herself. Her career, which began with the title Miss Hungary in 1936, was still going strong in the
1990s, outlasting those of her sisters, Eva and Magda, celebrities in their own right. She was the last
surviving Gabor sister.
(NYT)

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 07:58 pm
I enjoyed her and also her sister Eva.
dupre

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2016 01:45 am
An amazing woman with some great quotes. "I never hated a man enough to give him his diamonds back."
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2016 05:00 am
@dupre,

"I am a marvelous housekeeper -- every time I leave a man, I keep his house."
farmerman

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2016 05:04 am
@Region Philbis,
hee hee heee. My folks were big "Green Acres" fans, but I think that was her sister Eva Gabor.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2016 09:10 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

"I am a marvelous housekeeper -- every time I leave a man, I keep his house."

She must have been thinking of Hilton, one of her 9 husbands.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2016 07:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
At the same time, Cowboy, or separately?

I'm just askin'...🙃
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2016 07:49 pm
@Lash,

too soon... too soon...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2016 10:11 pm
@Lash,
The third of these sisters was mostly invisible to me. I don't even recall her name.
dupre

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2016 10:15 pm
@edgarblythe,
The Gabor sisters were three famous Hungarian-American actresses/socialites: Magda (11 June 1915 – 6 June 1997), Zsa Zsa (6 February 1917 – 18 December 2016), and Eva (11 February 1919 – 4 July 1995).

They were born into a family of Hungarian-Jewish background, in Budapest, Hungary to Vilmos and Jolie Gabor. The family moved to New York in the wake of World War II. Magda had played a small role in a Hungarian film before the war, so Jolie and her three daughters moved to Hollywood to break into the film business.

Their claim to fame, perhaps beyond their acting careers, is that of serial matrimony: Magda was married six times; Zsa Zsa nine times; and Eva five times. British actor George Sanders was first married to Zsa Zsa and later to Magda.

Zsa Zsa's only child, Constance Francesca Hilton, was born on 10 March 1947, by then-husband Conrad Hilton. Zsa Zsa was the only Gabor sister to have a child. Francesca Hilton died on 5 January 2015, at the age of 67, from an apparent stroke or heart attack. She had no children.

From this Web site: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabor_sisters

Miller

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2016 12:30 am
@dupre,
dupre wrote:

They were born into a family of Hungarian-Jewish background, in Budapest, Hungary to Vilmos and Jolie Gabor. The family moved to New York in the wake of World War II.

The "wake" of WWII? What was the date, you're referring to as the "wake"?

Many Hungarian Jews left Hungary because of Hitler and the Nazis. I personally know several of them, who ( with the advances of Hitler) left Hungary ( where they were attending medical school) to attend different medical schools in other countries, considered to be neutral.

Many of them eventually settled in the US , where they made significant contributions to both medicine and science.

0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 10:17 am
@dupre,
I forgot to add, I'm not likely to consider Wiki to be a good historical source. i ignore it.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » RIP Zsa Zsa Gabor, 99...
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 12:15:23