Spanish "Court TV"

gollum

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2016 02:48 pm
I was in a cheap restaurant yesterday where the TV was broadcasting a "Court TV"-like program in Spanish. I asked the waitress if the subject courtroom is in Spain. She said that she thought it was in Florida or California. According to the waitress some courts in the U.S. conduct proceedings in Spanish.

Is this true?

jespah

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2016 04:36 pm
@gollum,
Only to translate for the litigants, if necessary. You can get pretty much any kind of translator for court stuff although the more obscure languages will take longer and the translator will cost more. Lustig Andrei (an A2K member who is now deceased) used to translate Armenian for courts and he would travel around the country.

When I was still practicing law, probably the most exotic language I had translated was when a plaintiff spoke Farsi (it's spoken in Iran, I believe). Got Spanish and Portuguese a lot, and I learned that there are some differences among Portugal, Brazil, and Angola Portuguese.
gollum

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2016 04:47 pm
@jespah,
jespah-

Thank you.

There was no translator in the court room. The judge and all other participants spoke in Spanish.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2016 05:01 pm
@gollum,
I know exactly the show you are talking about. I have watched it many times. It is reality television... akin to Judge Judy. The cases are real small claims court cases. The litigants agree to abide by the Judge's opinion.

It is mildly entertaining.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2016 05:04 pm
@gollum,
It's more along the line of arbitration than actual court proceedings. The litigants volunteer to have their dispute resolved on the show.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2016 05:08 pm
@gollum,
The one I used to watch is called "Caso Cerrado" (I had to have my daughter remind me of the name). Apparently there are several.

0 Replies

gollum

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2016 05:21 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona-

Thank you.

Small claims court of what city? If the litigants had not agreed to abide by the television judge's opinion (I think you mean ruling) then their case would be litigated in a real small claims court. I think the real small-claims court would be held in English.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2016 07:12 pm
@gollum,
These shows are first and foremost entertainment. I have no idea what the legal ramifications are.

I don't know of any reason that a small claims court couldn't hold proceedings in Spanish assuming the judge and all the participants speak Spanish. In a Spanish speaking community in a place like Miami, it is possible that this could happen.

Is that what you are asking?

But that has nothing to do with these reality court shows. Their purpose is to generate ratings so they can sell advertisement, and to do this they try to put on a good show with interesting stories and drama. Whether the judgments are legally binding isn't important at all.
gollum

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2016 08:15 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona-

Thank you.

Yes. I was asking is whether any courts in the U.S. [other than court TV, which is not a real court] conduct their proceedings in English.

As far as I know, the U.S. does not have an official language but that English is generally treated as if it is the official language.

I believe [I'm not certain] that some States have designated English as their official language but that all of them treat it as if it is official.
0 Replies

nacredambition

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2016 08:15 pm
@gollum,
Quote:
I was in a cheap restaurant yesterday where the TV was broadcasting a "Court TV"-like program in Spanish.

You've testified that you were at the Cuban cantina at 3 that afternoon and engaged the waitress in florid conversation.

You frequent such houses on a regular basis.

Quote:
Is this true?

I put it to you that you'd rather have a wholesome affordable alternative to cooking at home.

How do you plead?
0 Replies