Where have all the men gone?

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 12:57 pm
It's been on my mind lately; the new breed of actors in hollywood are terribly androgynous. really pretty boys who have the screen presence of a lettuce leaf, and picturing them making love (at least to a woman) is laughable. Look at Jude Law. None of these young guys (barring Gael Garcia Bernal and Louis Garrel) could play a conflicted not so good guy character.

Now I want the Robert De Niro's back, even Kietal has got sexuality (it's not hard to beat Law or Di Caprio). I want the bad boys back, the off beat mysterious guys; Josh Hartnetss too all American for this South African.

I want dark suave men, who look like they get what they want (you know what i mean) I want raw maleness back on the silver screen. A man who looks like man a little bit scruffy,doesn't dress better then me and has oodles of charm when he wants to and if that doesn't work a little bit of force Twisted Evil

But seriously I find myself watching Mean Streets (I'm 19 for gods sake) and imagining Johnny Boy in my bed, even if he owes every one money and is a bit mental. Give me the intelligence, intensity, masculinity of the De Niro's above the prissy Jude Laws any day (even a spaghetti western Eastwood has a whole lot more appeal).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,106 • Replies: 37
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 01:10 pm
You almost described me to a tee, except that I look a bit feminine. So what, you wanna make something of it? Wink Mean Streets rocked.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 01:11 pm
Laughing I was just abt to say the same thing....

I am just waiting to be discovered
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 01:12 pm
i like the rough look too. but a sweet baby face ain't bad either. Hell, I like any good looking man. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 01:13 pm
You can have cav... (I am in a generous mood today)
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 01:14 pm
bring it on.
0 Replies

tagged lyricist

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 01:15 pm
he he he, Cav well as long as you intense... well are you?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 04:44 pm
I'm pretty intense. Don't let the clown suit fool you.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 06:14 am
What about Heath Ledger? You should check him out in "10 Things I Hate About You," "The Four Feathers," and "Knight's Tale." They are my 3 favs w/him in so far!!!

http://www.heathledger.com/
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 06:47 am
eeh....Heath is ok.....I much prefer Andy Garcia, Brad Pitt (now that he's grown up a bit and gotten facial hair!), Johnny Depp...I think I like the scruffy type. Hm.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 06:49 am
Did someone call my name?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 07:04 am
Nup.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 07:06 am
Yep
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 07:13 am
I called the goat.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 10:00 am
Well, it is the era of the Metrosexual after all. However, Hollywood has always had the macho man (sometimes on the surly side) and the more effeminate pretty boys. In the 60's it was Tab Hunter and Jeffrey Hunter, not to mention Montgomery Cliff. If one is considering the newer lot of actors there certainly is a dominance of the pretty boy looks. Could this be a perception that they are more benign and sensitive in real life where the surly macho man is more likely sexually aggressive (maybe to the point of rape?) That may or may not be true but it's something to consider. It won't be the first time that the women in the audience faun over actors who are heterosexual but sensitive and pretty.

Then there's Kevin Spacey.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 10:12 am
Laughing He says he was walking the dog, but I think he was "walking the dog", in quotation marks.

Some actors can pull off 'pretty' and 'masculine' in the right vehicle. Although I didn't think it was a great movie, Once Upon a Time in Mexico comes to mind, with Banderas, Depp, and a whole lot of things being shot at or blown up. It was highly entertaining. I'm also thinking of Viggo in the LOTR trilogy. He seems to be one of the hottest leading men going right now, although Orlando Bloom does have his fans. Poor Gimli.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 10:37 am
Bloom, again a pretty boy but more in the tradition of Douglas Fairbanks and that shows up somewhat in Viggo but who could also qualify in the macho Clint Eastwood, Robert De Niro mold. "Hidalgo" was all the better because of Mortenson's thoroughly masculine performance.

If it's actors under 40 who have entered films in the past two decades, it wouldn't take that long to come up with a list of actors in the macho mold and it's easy to focus on the pretty boys who do well as matinee idols with teeny-bopper females.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 10:39 am
I have the Hidalgo DVD, but haven't watched it yet.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 10:43 am
Colin Farrell seems to have that dark, dangerous thing going on.

I agree that we have too many pretty boys at the moment. DiCaprio was a prettier Romeo than his Juliet, for god's sake. And I have trouble remembering who some of these boys are - Josh Hartnett, Freddie Prinze Jr., Ryan Phillipe are all interchangeable, IMO.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 12 Oct, 2004 10:45 am
Mrs. Cav's thang for Viggo must have cooled a bit then...
0 Replies