The U.N. Gun Ban Treaty - Gun Owners Beware

oralloy

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 09:13 am
nimh wrote:
Well, oralloy would like someone to shoot her. Would like the government to shoot her. Literally.

I couldn't believe it either, but that's what he confirmed.

That doesn't make you want to distinguish your own position from his? Funny, that. If someone comes on here to defend one of my pet topics (say, the ICC), but seriously adds a call to, say, hang all neoconservatives, I would feel the unrepressable urge to take a stand against him - more so because he is ostensibly 'on my side'. Huh. Question of character, I guess. Or really being unable to muster any respect whatsoever for someone who disagrees with you on this topic.

Actually, since Bush was reelected, I see this group as less of a threat to our rights, so I don't see a need to have our military take action against them anymore.

For whatever reason, Bush seems to not like treaties much, and I see no danger that he will sign this one.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 09:16 am
dlowan wrote:
Yes - but they aren't REAL freedoms - freedom is, it seems, a gun.

I would put all of the Bill of Rights above other freedoms in some respects. However I do like the idea of other freedoms too.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 09:23 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Well, I've heard that in some US states you don't have the freedom to smoke in (free air) beergardens. As far as I know, you are not allowed to travel with dogs in trains, drive faster than 70 mph, marry whom you want (e.g. someone of the same sex), can't (or only with severe restrictions) travel where you want (e.g. to Cuba) ...

I don't smoke, but when I hear the smoking zealots on one of their ban smoking rampages, I do have a strong urge to acquire a big Cuban cigar and deliberately smoke it in a public place where it is prohibited.

I also support the notion of unconventional marriage, so long as it is between consenting adults, including marriage between members of the same gender.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 09:27 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
no need to worry any longer about gun control cjhsa.....your boy's in....soon any man woman or child will be able to own any freakin' gun they want as easily as getting a candy bar....happy days!!!!

Things aren't quite that good yet.

We won't really be there until the government sets up something like the Swiss Militia for people to join if they want.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 7 Nov, 2004 10:10 am
Einherjar wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
http://usa.venus.co.uk/weed/agifs/images83/twirls.gif

You should use this for an avatar oralloy.

A nuclear explosion might be better given the WMD-based ID I chose.

I'll be away from the internet for a few days, so won't be able to reply to any responses until next weekend.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 05:29 am
I suppose the NRA considers Iraq to be their paradise: every Tom Dick and Harry has the right to own an AK 47 (for self-defence) and we all know what a paragon of safety this nation is.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 01:15 pm
Hardly, and the truth is, with the exception of some liberal states, every Tom, Dick and Harry in the U.S. can currently own an AK-47 (semi-auto, of course).
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2004 06:59 pm
So, did Craven ever aquire a tactical nuclear warhead?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 03:03 am
oralloy wrote:
nimh wrote:
Well, oralloy would like someone to shoot her. Would like the government to shoot her. Literally.

I couldn't believe it either, but that's what he confirmed.

That doesn't make you want to distinguish your own position from his? Funny, that. If someone comes on here to defend one of my pet topics (say, the ICC), but seriously adds a call to, say, hang all neoconservatives, I would feel the unrepressable urge to take a stand against him - more so because he is ostensibly 'on my side'. Huh. Question of character, I guess. Or really being unable to muster any respect whatsoever for someone who disagrees with you on this topic.

Actually, since Bush was reelected, I see this group as less of a threat to our rights, so I don't see a need to have our military take action against them anymore.

For whatever reason, Bush seems to not like treaties much, and I see no danger that he will sign this one.

These IANSA guys are beginning to get on my nerves again.

Their goals: http://www.iansa.org/un/bms2005/Ownership.pdf

And they've already got a global gun registration treaty out there: http://www.iansa.org/un/global-gun-treaty.htm
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 04:25 pm
Quote:
U.N. OKs study of small-arms control

By EDWARD HARRIS, Associated Press Writer
Fri Oct 27 2006, 12:25 AM ET

UNITED NATIONS - A key United Nations committee on Thursday approved a resolution that could lead to an international treaty on small-arms control, a move hailed by gun-control advocates but opposed by the U.S. and gun-rights groups.

The measure would begin studies of a possible treaty, and must be approved by the General Assembly, which is likely to take it up next month. Human-rights campaigners said such a treaty would go a long way toward keeping small arms out of conflict zones.

Supporters of the U.N. action say such weapons can flow into conflict areas because of inconsistencies in current laws.

The resolution said the lack of international standards in the arms trade "is a contributory factor to conflict, displacement of people, crime and terrorism." It asked Secretary-General Kofi Annan to authorize the establishment of a group of experts to look into "establishing common international standards for the import, export and transfer of conventional arms."

The resolution was adopted by the General Assembly committee dealing with disarmament issues with 139 "yes" votes, 24 abstentions and one "no" vote, lodged by the U.S.

"The only way for a global arms trade treaty to work is to have every country agree on a standard," said Richard Grenell, spokesman for the U.S. Mission to the United Nations. "For us, that standard would be so far below what we are already required to do under U.S. law that we had to vote against it in order to maintain our higher standards."

The National Rifle Association in the past has strongly opposed U.N. efforts at crafting a treaty to curb private ownership of small arms. The group has said such a treaty might embolden regimes that violate human rights to disarm their citizens and make popular uprisings against oppression impossible.

But human-rights campaigners supporting the drive to regulate the arms trade welcomed the resolution's approval, though they said much work is left to be done before the final passage of any comprehensive compact.

"Today, the world's governments have voted to end the scandal of the unregulated arms trade," said Jeremy Hobbs, director of Oxfam International. "Since the Control Arms campaign began three years ago, an estimated 1 million people have been killed by conventional weapons."

The resolution asks Annan to seek the views of member states on a legally binding treaty and to establish a group of governmental experts from around the world starting in 2008 to examine the feasibility of a treaty.

Campaigners behind the resolution said they hope any final treaty would compel countries to officially authorize all weapons transfers, stiffen compliance with previous treaties related to conventional weapons while prohibiting weapons transfers with countries likely to use the arms to violate their citizens' rights.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/un_weapons_trade&printer=1
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 09:14 pm
Heads up! The UN is dusting off their gun ban treaty in anticipation of an Obama win.

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5ib61fXeOYpOjGPiCae89ehNNsZUA

Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 06:33 pm
The UN's latest guide to how they'd like the government to violate our rights is quite instructive:

http://www.undp.org/cpr/documents/sa_control/SALWGuide_Legislation.pdf

(Note Chapter 3 in particular.)

One interesting tidbit:

Quote:
Licence applicants may be required to provide a good reason, justifying why they need to possess a firearm. Legislation may prescribe the circumstances under which possession of a firearm may be justified.

If ‘personal protection’ is permitted as a good reason, applicants should prove to the police that they are in genuine danger that could be avoided by being armed.

There is a lot more like that in Chapter 3.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 05:14 pm
Heads up!

Obama wants to join an international treaty that would ban the reloading of ammunition by anyone other than a licensed ammo manufacturer.

Gun Owners of America has set up a place where you can email your Senators about this outrageous treaty:

http://capwiz.com/gunowners/issues/alert/?alertid=13188856

Link to treaty:

http://www.oas.org/juridico/english/treaties/a-63.html
0 Replies