VEGEMITE - making Aussies great for 80 years!

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2010 10:57 am
I read Wikipedia about Vegemite, and it referred to one of its flavors as being umami. Umami is a flavor that is found naturally in foods, and is concentrated in many fermented, dehydrated and aged foods like soy sauce, bouillon cubes and cheese. The flavor umami is derived from glutamic acid. One of its salts is monosodium glutamate better known as MSG. I can see why you all use is sparingly as a light spread on toast. I'd be interested in using it as a soup stock or flavoring like bouillon or soy sauce.
ragnel

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 05:12 am
@InfraBlue,
I often use it in soups and stews and it adds plenty of flavour. When I was a kid my mother made Vegemite bouillon for my brothers and me when we came home from school on winter afternoons.
0 Replies

ragnel

Reply Mon 4 Oct, 2010 05:21 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote
Quote:
I just sat down to a piece of hot toast with butter and cinnamon sugar on it, and thought of you guys.

and then just shook my head...

That is, of course, delightful (specially on fruit toast); but not for breakfast. I enjoy that treat on winter nights.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2010 08:42 pm
@margo,
you can top up at tescos if needed. It was even on special at one.
ragnel

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 10:21 pm
@dadpad,
Leisurely Sunday breakfast at dadpad's place -

www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/galleries/gallery-e6frecgc-1225936494866?page=3

roger

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2010 10:47 pm
@ragnel,
Don't you people have animal cruelty laws?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2010 12:06 am
Possum eats toast and Vegemite! Don't all animals?
cmcla7

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2010 05:23 pm
@littlek,
oh i will hahahahahahahahha not really i dont even know you
0 Replies

ragnel

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2010 01:00 am
@margo,
Some time ago, I came across this post in a thread about the big V -
dlowan Sun 9 Mar, 2003 03:31 pm
Quote:
Hmmm - well, I would buy the weeniest jar you could find.

I would take it home. I would either put a tiny scraping of it on hot, buttered toast, and see if you like it - more on if you do - OR - do you have little whole grain biscuits over there, with little holes? - wecall them "vitaweets" - you put butter on these, then vegemite - make a sandwich of two of them - squeeze them together until the butter and vegemite make little worms through the holes - then consume.

Naturally, memories of many Vegemite worm feasts in earlier years frolicked through my mind. I hadn't had a vitaweat in years - if memory serves I think I scratched the inside of my cheek on a particularly hard, sharp piece I had bitten off and the Vegemite stung.

These days I do my grocery shopping through an on-line supermarket, and last week, when looking through the 'Crackers' listing I came across 'Vitaweats'. Deb's comment came to mind and, ignoring my usual determination not to regress to childhood just yet, I added a packet to my cart.

Oh dear oh dear oh dear!

Where they used to be rectangular in shape and hard enough to crack your teeth on (the fear of which added so much to the enjoyment of eating them), they have become a rounded, almost wafer-thin, obnoxiously pc imitation of a water cracker. The holes are so tiny I would defy the skinniest, microbic excuse for a worm to make its way through!

You put your butter and Vegemite on the cracker, add another as a lid, squeeze them together and voila - you have a handful of crumbled muck. I can remember when we really wanted to be fancy, a slice of softish cheese went into the process - ooh that resulted in really big, fat, juicy worms - now you would have no hope!

I feel sorry for the kids of today. The 'new deal' is such a poor replacement.

Anybody else discovered the demise of Vitaweats?
ragnel

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2011 08:42 pm
@ragnel,
So Kraft has introduced 'baby' Vegemite!

From the Kraft website announcing the new product -
Quote:
What’s the difference between My First Vegemite spread and original Vegemite spread?

My First Vegemite spread has the same unique Vegemite flavour Aussies know and love, just a touch milder for the palates of small children.

My First Vegemite spread also has the added benefits of iron, B6 and B12 vitamins and has 50% less sodium*.

This has supposedly been done to encourage small children to try it.

Aussie babies have had Vegemite smeared on their dummies (pacifiers) since Pontius was in flying school. Is it cynicism that suggests Kraft are not looking so much at the welfare of small children but at that huge adult market 'out there' whose jaded palates are unable to cope with the full monty? Twisted Evil

By the way, after my previous post about Vita Weats, I discovered that the true blue rectangular ones were back on sale. The round ones are still on the shelves, but have gone down in price. I guess I'm not the only one who turned away from the new, you-beaut version.
msolga

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2011 01:44 am
@ragnel,
Hi ragnel

Quote:
What’s the difference between My First Vegemite spread and original Vegemite spread?

The first Vegemite contained an extraordinarily high level of salt.
Which, I understand, is being brought down to conform with current expectations.
Unfortunately, it sounds from what I've read (sorry, I can't trace the article), as the salt content is being reduced, the sugar content is being increased.

0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2021 12:30 am
Good Lord

They've taken this argument over to Facebook now!

Why can't they just admit they're wrong, wrong, wrong!?
0 Replies