usage that in past tense

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2016 04:25 am
hi, i am a newly registered English learning student of this forum. i would like to know about the word 'that' placement in past tense sentence. i have written an example sentence below. say if my sentence is grammatically correct and informal.

Quote:
yesterday, may class teacher was very focused on the subject he was taking. at that time, i talked with one of my friend who sat next to me in the class room. he noticed me. and stopped taking class.and then he got angry and scolded me among classmate.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 698 • Replies: 9
No top replies

perennialloner

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2016 06:40 am
Your sentence looks grammatical for the most part. The "that" in "at that time" is fine.

I'm not sure about your use of "take" and you have some minor mistakes.

Instead of "he was taking," it should be "he was talking about."

And instead of "stopping taking class," it should be "stopping talking to the class."

"One of my friend" should be "friends" or just remove "one of."

"Scolded me among classmate" should be "Scolded me in front of my classmates."
dalehileman

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2016 12:35 pm
@johnsmiths,
John the para needs context. As sheer guesswork,

Yesterday, one of my class teachers whom I liked seemed was very focused on the a a subject he happened to be taking along with me in spite of his superior eecucational status. Aboutat that time, I talkedhad chatted with one of my friends who sat next to me in anotherthe classroom, criticizing the teacher's posdition, he noticed me. whereupon I subsequently learned he himself was actually attending it at the time and as a result of my comment shortly stopped takingquit class.and. Even later, however, he changed his mind; then he got angry at me and scoldedhe began scolding me among classmate.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2016 01:02 pm
@dalehileman,
Oops Smitty, the A2k software cut me off in the middle of editing. Oh well I nonetheless suppose you get the general idea...
0 Replies

johnsmiths

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2016 12:00 am
@perennialloner,
hi perennialloner, i agree that i made some minor mistakes in my sentences. below i have written my sentences in a corrected way as you mentioned in your reply.

Quote:
yesterday, my class teacher was very focused on the subject he was talking about. at that time, i talked with one of my friends who sat next to me in the class room. my class teacher noticed me. and stopped talking in the class.and then he got angry and scolded me in front of my classmates. i really felt ashamed on that day.

are all those sentences above correct now?
perennialloner

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2016 12:09 am
@johnsmiths,
they look good to me, except:

my class teacher noticed me "and stopped talking to the class." i made a mistake earlier when i told you to write stopping.

also, you don't have spaces where some need to be and you haven't capitalized the first words of each your sentences. I should probably set a better example and capitalize too.

If this is just a personal grammar exercise for you, the lack of capitalization is fine. If not, you should always capitalize the first words of your sentences. Capitalizing is not considered optional in formal writing.

are you using your phone to type? if so, i understand why you might have not bothered to capitalize.
johnsmiths

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2016 01:54 am
@perennialloner,
hi perennialloner, The sentences that i have written is for spoken purpose. I do agree that the spaces and capitalization in my sentences are missing. Thanks for your reply.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2016 12:50 pm
@johnsmiths,
Good'n John; just an adj or two:

Yesterday when I murmured to a friend next to me in the class room, though very focused on the subject he was explaining, when our teacher noticed he got angry, quit the subject and and scolded me in front of my classmates. I really felt ashamed the rest of that day

C'mon Con, you can do even better'n that
johnsmiths

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2016 03:32 am
@dalehileman,
Yesterday when I attended a class in my class room, I talked with my close friend sitting next to me on the desk table. The lecturer noticed us talking during the class time and got angry at us. He pointed his finger towards me and said, You get up. What did you talk with that person sitting next to you? I told him that i asked him a doubt about the subject he was talking to the class room. He said, if you had any doubts related to the subject, You should have asked me. Why did you talk with him during class time.

How about this one.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2016 03:05 pm
@johnsmiths,
Forgive me Johnny but:

Yesterday when I attempted a chat with a close friend sitting next to me--on his desk table, for some obscure reason I can't even remember--our lecturer noticed and got angry. Pointing his finger directly at me he demanded, "You get up, Dale. What on earth were you talking about with that fella who just fell onto the floor??

Replying with some hesitation--and just a mod of fear since he had been known to strike the unruly--, "I had expressed a certain doubt about your subject," whereupon he sneered, "If you had any doubts at all, You should have asked me not Harry. Why did you feel you had to chat during class time, anyhow?

Been fun tho. Maybe now Smitty, someone will come up with one even better--but Con, it's time-consuming (for me anyway)
0 Replies