Commercial Airline pilots should be armed in the cockpit

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 01:34 am
What would you go for, affirmative or negative? Please state your reasoning. For me i would say

Negative: It would send the wrong Message (The airports dont have enough security or The FAA do not trust the Basic security system)

Stray Bullets could render the vital avionics inopertive or puncture the aircraft skin

Instead, Should enhance a tighter airport security system.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,923 • Replies: 22
No top replies

sundaemon

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 02:10 am
Love the smiley/frowny face. It's very...Mark. I'd go affirmative, but it's not like we have a say. It's a coin toss after all, and we need assertions and explanations. So people better state their reasoning!!
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 02:58 am
Some pilots should be armed, as they are now. Those pilots who do carry guns go through rigorous training. Pilots who do not want to carry guns or are not going to be able to use them effectively if needed should not.

If you are being hijacked, the last thing you'd worry about is a bullet though your avionics, and so what if it punctures the fuselage? Yes, the cabin is pressurized, but it's not like it's a space ship.

Airport security cannot be made tight enough to keep all dangerous items off planes unless every passenger flies naked and empty handed. That ain't gonna happen, so if pilots want some extra protection, they should have it.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 03:15 am
I sem to recall that there have been less instances of airplace hijacking in the US as there have been instances of BLIND-DRUNK PILOTS FLYING them. ARMED blind-drunk pilots?? Put me down for TWO frowny faces!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 10 Oct, 2004 03:16 am
and welcome to A2K sugar-grrrrl!
0 Replies

sugargirl555

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2004 03:46 am
Thats a Very good point! And i might be using some of your information for an upcoming debate.
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:09 pm
1. You are already trusting the pilot with your life. If he feels he needs a weapon to guard that trust then I would defer to his judgement.

2. An airline pilot is a member of the most carefully selected sizeable group in our society today. By and large they are trustworthy.

3. The government cannot prevent each and every instance of malfeasance. "A government that can give us all we want can also take it all away."

4. Weapons are most often used to prevent hostile actions. Their occasional criminal use should not blind us to the fact that anything can be abused. Heck, that's why there are speed limits.

5. The penalties exacted by physics will always be less that the penalties exacted by religious fanatics. Even if a gunshot made an aircraft fall out of the sky randomly it would be worse if the aircraft was deliberately driven into a building.

6. I have much more faith in the general public acting responsibly than I have in the government (The TSA) acting responsibly.

7. Since it is impossible to prevent access to weapons by our violent (criminal) underclass it seems only reasonable to allow responsible persons access to weapons in order to minimize violence. I suspect that airline pilots are responsible persons.

8. Probably the only way to deal with a dangerously suicidal person is to incapacitate him before he incapacitates you. It is notoriously difficult to re-educate a successful suicidal maniac. It is even more difficult if he has succeeded in making you a participant in his quest for glory.

9. Hypothetical Question--- What do you think would have happened on Sep. 11, 01 if every passenger on the aircraft had been in possesion of a weapon?
a) Would the resulting damage have been as great if the aircraft just fell out of the sky?
b) Would the hijackers have survived long enough to pilot the aircraft?
c) Would the crime even have been attempted?

10.The debate about arming citizens has been going on for many years now. When the US was started the framers of the Constitution made it plain that the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. In modern times it has been infringed most seriously by the governments of the various states. The misadventure of our Government in Iraq is but one result of that infringement.
a) Do you think that the President of the US would have been able to send troops to Iraq if Sep 11,01 was just another day?
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 08:57 pm
Most people who carry guns for protection don't need to use them though. A lot of crooks, once, they realize that the attackee actually has a weapon, give up and run away. I don't know how much of an effect it will have on someone attacking a pilot, being that there's no where to run, but not everyone who might conceivably want to hijack would be a suicider. Who knows. Anyway, if the plane is hijacked than most likely everyone will die anyway. Arguing against giving pilots guns because people might get killed in that situation is stupid.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2004 09:00 pm
Also, the war in Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11, and only a small percentage of the population thinks it did. So if 9/11 had not happened, I don't think it would have effected the war in Iraq at all.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 12:47 am
How are those "break inn resistant" (sry, english is not my first language) cocpits coming along?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 03:01 am
Must not be too good, Einherjar. The last time I flew commercial, lines were not permitted at the forward restrooms.

Your english is quite up to standard, by the way.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 03:31 am
I will repeat some information I collected from Mike Moore, not endorsing it - just passing it on.

In Stupid White Men he mentions that some pilots earn so little that they are entitled to food stamps. So are some military families.

In Dude, Where's My Country? he says that when he was with Nader's Raiders a proposition to make cockpit doors attack-proof was rejected by the airlines.
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 06:19 pm
Sorry Rufio,
I suspect that without the specter of 9/11 looming on the horizon George Bush would never have been able to marshall enough support to send troops to Iraq, which at the time had merely, in the words of John Kerry, merely been a bit of a nuisance.

Government, in the face of any undisireable happenstance must appear to be doing something. Presidents have traditionally chosen war. It's good for business, reduces unemployment, and often insures re-election.

Worked for Truman, Kennedy, and Reagan. Can you blame Geo. Bush for attempting something that worked three out of four times. But IMO he couldn't have done it without the unwitting co-operation of of a group of religious fanatics.
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 06:25 pm
Mr Stillwater,
I should check my facts if I were you. Of the two commercial pilots that I have known personally neither was in any danger of appearing on the list of food stamp recipients.

Michael Moore is known for his showmanship, not his veracity.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Sat 16 Oct, 2004 08:38 pm
I don't trust a damn thing Michael Moore says.

Anyway, the issue in Iraq had been going on for a long time. You don't think that GWB spontaneously decided to go to war just because of 9/11 do you? Not even he's that dumb. The only "war" that happened as a result of 9/11 was the invasion of Afghanistan looking for Bin Laden - an attempt to find one fanatic hidden under a rock somewhere that wasn't even successful, not a war to overthrow a dictator who had been a pain in everyone's arse for quite a while.
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 09:59 am
rufio,

My point is that without the episode of 9/11 I doubt that George Bush could have gained sufficient support, in Congress primarly, to bring about either the war in Iraq or "The Patriots Act" for whatever reasons. Both of those happenings are rather contrary to how Americans like to view themselves.

The second point is to the thread. "IF" there were several people on the aircraft with sidearms the more likely outcome would be that four aircraft crashed out in the woods somewhere. Even more likely would have been that they would have been flown on autopilot till they ran out of fuel over the oceans or great lakes. The most likely happenstance would have been that some one (who is still alive) would have decided that the chances of pulling off a hijacking were so slim as to be not worth the trouble.

Even a suicide nut with a larger goal in mind than his demise would not be apt to pursue a course of action that would have no effect other than his immediate transportation to heaven.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 05:40 pm
Sorry m-smith, just Googled "food stamps" + airline + pilots, plenty of info there....

Quote:
Only a relative few senior 747 captains at major airlines make legendary 747 captain's pay (upwards of $250,000 a year). At the low end of the pay scale, some pilots for small airlines make little enough to qualify for food stamps. Most salaries are somewhere in between. It all depends on your position, aircraft, airline size and time at that airline.
HowStuffWorks.com

Quote:
Pilots on food stamps? That's certainly not the public's perception of their compensation. Yet, earning those stratospheric dollars, say over $300,000 a year, is for the elite few, senior captains flying Boeing 747s, for example. "Remember, it's all based on seniority," advises Steve. "Even when you get hired by the majors, you start at the bottom, no matter how may hours you come in with."
Workingworld.com

Quote:
Of course, I have gotten away with all of this because the airlines consider my safety SO important, they pay rent-a-cops $5.75 an hour to make sure the bad guys don't get on my plane. That is what my life is worth-less than the cost of an oil change. Too harsh, you say? Well, chew on this: a first-year pilot on American Eagle (the commuter arm of American Airlines) receives around $15,000 a year in annual pay. That's right -- $15,000 for the person who has your life in his hands. Until recently, Continental Express paid a little over $13,000 a year. There was one guy, an American Eagle pilot, who had four kids so he went down to the welfare office and applied for food stamps-and he was eligible! Someone on welfare is flying my plane? Is this for real? Yes, it is. So spare me the talk about all the precautions the airlines and the FAA is taking. They, like all businesses, are concerned about one thing-the bottom line and the profit margin.
Michael Moore, take it up with him
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 05:59 pm
I agree about the Patriot Act - I'm suprised that he even got Congress's support - he certainly didn't have America's. But Iraq is a horse of another color.

Now we're even misquoting Michael Moore, which is a damn shame. Moore said that he knew one pilot who was on foodstamps, because he had four kids, not that every pilot, or most pilots, or even a significant fraction of pilots were. I have no idea how much pilots get paid, and I'm not sure how relevant it is to the discussion, exactly.
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 08:19 pm
rufio,
You're right, none of this is relevant.

What is relevant is that a person whom you have entrusted with your life (merely by boarding the aircraft) is not trustworthy enough (in the TSA's opinion) to have a sidearm in his-her posession if he-she deems it appropriate Question

The logic escapes me, however it often does in situations that have become so politicized Sad Politicians are less widely known for their competence than pilots are.

Mr Stillwater, I am going to check Dept of Commerce figures. I'll get back on that.
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 08:49 pm
Mr Stillwater,

As I read the "Fair Labor Standards Act" a professional need not be paid a salary if they are paid not less than $27.63 per hour. Confused

And "The Bureau of Labor Statistics", www.bls.gov

In the category of Airline Pilots, Co-Pilots, and Flight Engineers the mean annual income for workers working less than 2080 hours per year is $129,000 Confused

In the category of Commercial Pilots the mean annual income is $57,950. Crying or Very sad

Click on it, It's a rather interesting page. Smile
0 Replies