Paraphrasing a sentence

Nat093

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 10:50 am
In one of the articles entitled "Teaching speaking", I have come across such a sentence: There are three main reasons for getting students to speak in the classroom". The phrase "get sb to do sth" sounds a bit informal to me. If I said, for example, "There are three main reasons for encouraging students to speak in the classroom", would the meaning be the same?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 307 • Replies: 11
No top replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 11:16 am
@Nat093,
The meanings are different. The first sentence implies prompting; the second sentence implies motivating.
Nat093

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 11:22 am
@InfraBlue,
So , instead of "getting students to speak", I may say "prompting students to speak"? Are there any other options?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 12:10 pm
Getting someone to do something not necessarily imply prompting; the verb is famously loose in its meaning. It can mean persuading, requesting, motivating, instructing, ordering. The essential point is that it has a successful outcome (the students actually do speak).

Nat093

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 12:17 pm
@contrex,
So maybe I shouldn't change anything and take the sentence as it is. I just thought that it was very informal.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 12:21 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
Getting someone to do something not necessarily imply prompting
Thanks again Con for alleviating my uncertainty. I was sure my age was overcoming my abilities at The Language
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 12:27 pm
@Nat093,
Nat093 wrote:

So maybe I shouldn't change anything and take the sentence as it is. I just thought that it was very informal.

Slightly informal. The standards of formality are relaxing these days. It is useful to be able to recognise levels of formality and write according to the level required.

Nat093

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 12:49 pm
@contrex,
Could you give me some prompt on how to make the sentence "There are three main reasons for getting students to speak" slightly more formal? Obviously, I need to replace "get sb to do sth" with another form. Maybe "There are three main reasons to have students speak in the classroom?"
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 01:24 pm
To make it more formal, I would just replace "getting" with "inducing".
Nat093

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 01:36 pm
@contrex,
I will make a speech, so the language should not be too formal either. "Induce" sound very formal.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 01:44 pm
'Get' is only slightly informal, and 'induce' is only slightly formal.
Nat093

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2016 01:52 pm
@contrex,
OK. Thank you.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Paraphrasing a sentence
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 08:38:33