Will the freedom to doubt be limited by Trump's oligarchy?

Lola

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2016 11:33 am
They call it populism and yet, once elected Trump surrounds himself with the super wealthy and those who believe in the extreme use of force.

Will those that search for an absolute answer represent the division between the conservative and the liberal? Or is it more a division between the extremists on both sides and an independent thinker?

Those who search for the absolute or literal answer are dependent on that answer and not open to new information. Will we be free to doubt or will that freedom be limited by those in search of an oligarchy?

McGentrix

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2016 01:26 pm
@Lola,
Can you tell me someone in politics that's not "super wealthy"? Do you suppose he should go and draft a bunch of poor people to run the country?

I know that you think that only Democrats can properly run anything, but you may find out that successful people tend to be both rich and, well, successful. Trump is surrounding himself with people that share his vision and will help him actually carry through on his campaign promises.

I don't recall many Republicans or poor people in Obama's cabinet. Maybe you can point them out?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2016 02:04 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
Can you tell me someone in politics that's not "super wealthy"?
I suppose, you just mean the USA here, so I really don't know.

I do know, however, that it really would be hard for a "super wealthy" person to get elected in quite a few other countries.

To be honest, I always thought of rich people in politics ... only of Russian oligarchs and African dictators. Shocked
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2016 03:20 pm
@Lola,
Your beginning sentence is right on.

I read a lot of news and a2k (I need a life, will have to start weeding my plot re all the goatheads) and saw someone in the last day or two saying Trump had backed off. Not with those position choices he hasn't.

I'm almost glad I'm in what I think now of as the Olderama. I don't have to see what will happen. But, I'm still curious since I still care.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2016 04:12 pm
Well, looking at your title "Will the freedom to doubt be limited by Trump's oligarchy?", I'm very much inclined to believe the Democratic party is likely to be much more intrusive in our personal lives - for our own good, of course.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2016 04:29 pm
@roger,
Women's reproductive organs seem to be of far too significant interest to American Conservatives.

They're very intrusive in women's extremely personal lives.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/10/cf/36/10cf36b171836932d742a3b69c99eb3b.jpg

Which party wants to know who people are having sex with and under what conditions? which party is concerned with who is using which toilet facility?

one group says

http://www.telesurtv.net/export/sites/telesur/img/news/2016/04/23/we-dont-care.jpg_534511720.jpg

the other

A new North Carolina law that bars local governments from extending civil rights protections to gay and transgender people is provoking a growing backlash from businesses and others who say the law is discriminatory.

American Airlines, Wells Fargo and the National Basketball Association were among those to raise concerns about the law, which was introduced and passed Wednesday in a hastily called special session and signed by Gov. Pat McCrory (R) later that day.
georgeob1

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2016 04:29 pm
@Lola,
Lola wrote:

They call it populism and yet, once elected Trump surrounds himself with the super wealthy and those who believe in the extreme use of force.

Will those that search for an absolute answer represent the division between the conservative and the liberal? Or is it more a division between the extremists on both sides and an independent thinker?

Those who search for the absolute or literal answer are dependent on that answer and not open to new information. Will we be free to doubt or will that freedom be limited by those in search of an oligarchy?

I thik you have posed some interesting questions and issues. However you appear to be unaware of their actual distribution across the political spectrum.

Conservatives generally prefer less government intervention and more personal freedom, responsibility, and choice than do Liberals (as defined here). I believe most of the 'absolute and literal' answers and programs we have seen have come from the Democrats, not the Republicans. That most of them don't work as advertized has,of course, added to the problem.

Wealthy advisors were as frequently found in the Clinton and Obama administrations as they have appeared so far in Trump's. My impression is that Hillary's implied use of force in Foreign Policy was a good deal greater than what I hear from Trump.

We are still a democracy and I believe you are merely using the word, 'oligarchy' without thought or real basis.
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2016 06:15 pm
Sorry guys, but my warm chicken pot pie is waiting and I will have to address these cogent comments later
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2016 10:00 pm
@roger,
Oh if course...only when they **** you you should at least get a kiss.
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2016 07:48 am
@ehBeth,
Yes, Beth has it. Limits on personal freedom as opposed to regulations for the health and welfare of the people and the disregard for scientific fact are indications that we are to be ruled rather than governed. I have never understood how to believe something I don't believe. A current talking point these days is that I should respect the president elect regardless of whether he behaves in a respectable way. That is an appeal to the authority of the absolute. Gotta go to work. See y'all later. Wish I could stay but . . .
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Will the freedom to doubt be limited by Trump's oligarchy?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 11:52:21