https://briefpoems.files.wordpress.com/2016/02/image008.gif
Does time exist?
I gravely doubt it.
But gosh, what should we do
without it?
blatham

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2016 10:11 am
@saab,
Does he write in English or is that translated?
saab

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2016 10:20 am
@blatham,
He writes in Danish and it has been translated into English. Piet Hein probably did it himself.
The verses are called epigrams and not clerihew
Miss L Toad

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2016 08:02 pm
@saab,
Quote:
I really do not know if the topic in this grook is a cleric.
I think Hein means people in geeral who does not really have a
horizon.

You don't know whether or not the references to pastor and priest imply a cleric?

The type of epigram is specifically referred to as a clerihew, it was a pun for blatham's benefit pursuant to his request for analysis.

https://briefpoems.files.wordpress.com/2016/02/grook2.jpg
0 Replies

saab

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2016 01:58 am
Quote:
references to pastor and priest imply a cleric

Of course I know the picture shows a cleric. But Hein probably refers to any person who is narrowminded. Hein pointed to our weak nessses.
There is a saying in Danish when someone knows better than others
"He/she polished his/hers halo well this morning"

Thank you for pointing out that his little verses are clerihew and not epigrams
as I called them. I always enjoy to meet someone who knows more than I do.
Piet Hein himself called his verses epigrams.

Clerihew mostly pokes fun at famous people.
Epigrams are brief, interesting, usually memorable and sometimes surprising statements
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2016 08:23 am
@saab,
Quote:
He writes in Danish and it has been translated into English. Piet Hein probably did it himself.

Tricky business, translating artful work like poetry or humor because of connotations of words. I swoon every time I read Lorca's poetry and can't imagine how uniquely beautiful it might be in Spanish. Do you prefer to read him in Danish?
blatham

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2016 08:24 am
@saab and Miss Toad
Delightful to have you two on board here.
saab

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2016 08:46 am
@blatham,
I really do not care if I read it in English or Danish as it is so well translated.
Danish and English humor is so similar, that nothing is lost.
Translation is a difficult thing. Books are not always translated correctly.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2016 10:29 am
@blatham,
self-deprication, irony, and abstract composition are not things of which we usually accuse Conservatives .
Im always amazed at how literal the conservatives are, even when they are trying damned hard to be non- linear in their thought.

Its a curse that the progs must visibly bear.
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2016 03:04 pm
@farmerman,
I generally agree.
Not to suck up, I listen to your science and I listen to your thinking, as it fits mine, though you know more.
Apparently we haven't been convincing.
Here come the worms.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2016 03:18 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Its a curse that the progs must visibly bear.
We have broad shoulders. Just born that way.

Quote:
self-deprication, irony, and abstract composition are not things of which we usually accuse Conservatives .
Im always amazed at how literal the conservatives are, even when they are trying damned hard to be non- linear in their thought.
This gets really close, I think. We've touched briefly on the self-deprecation thing in a lot of the humor we tend to love. I think a very important/relevant aspect here is that this sort of humor counts oneself as quite like all others - the acceptance that we're all a bit stupid or frivolous or silly or hung-up or nervous or imperfect, etc. Inherent in all this is a notion of the community of humans and inclusiveness, "Yes, me too." Where a personality is more comfortable with an "us/them" binary framing, that sort of humor doesn't work.

Something similar seems to be happening with conservatives' zest for conceptions of (and behavioral adherence to) the sacred versus the profane binary opposition. Other than in magnitude, there's not much if any difference between the perpetrators of the Hebdo murders and those who protested the Curb Your Enthusiasm episode where a drop of Larry David's urine splashed onto an illustration of Jesus just below one eye, the christian owners of which took to be a tear drop and a miracle!

Humor quite consistently pushes at the boundaries not just of traditional modes of thought (or cliches) but also of what is acceptable to think and to say in public. George Carlin is a rather apt example. When SJ Perlman said that "the office of humor is to offend", I think this is what he was talking about.
0 Replies

usaer

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2016 12:55 pm
@blatham,
Probably a chemical imbalance
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 04:13:44