I never get sick why?

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 10:30 am
@Blickers,
There's a weird ass documentary, Garlic Is as Good as Ten Mothers from 1980.

Just watch the following clip...

Laughing
seac

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 11:23 am
@alchemygear,
My guess is that you are lucky in being healthy. I also hardly ever had to go to a doctor for most of my life. I am allergic to a few foods and I avoid them. I am 61. I cut my thumb in a sword accident, and it healed/closed in three days, with just a tape across the cut. Hang around immigrants from Asia, and catching a flu is almost a certainty, but I get over it in a couple of weeks, and it makes me a little more immune to it. Eat some awful foods(yuck, sour chicken) and I get over it the next day. Not sure why some people are hypochondriacs.
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 11:32 am
@tsarstepan,
Les Blank's Garlic is as Good as Ten Mothers is my favorite documentary..

(I've not read wiki on it before, at least that I remember) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garlic_Is_as_Good_as_Ten_Mothers

I'm fond of Gilroy, California, too.
Also, I'm a garlic fiend. In my seventies, I am rarely sick, knock on wood, but have no idea if garlic helps with that.
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 01:08 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Probably a tangent, but I don't know, as oregano could turn out to be a health food (no, I haven't looked it up, but I use it in my cooking).
There's a movie short titled Tanto Oregano, funny itself even if you don't know any italian, about the matter of too much oregano on a dish brought out to a dining room guest by a longsuffering waiter. All hell broke loose, though I don't remember the details. I looked the short up once, something of a long task at the time, found it, and may or may not have the link saved, depending on the timing of my computer crashes that vary from serious to mild.

I'll sneak in a link to a fav food film just because this thread is shredded wheat already:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_and_Chocolate
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 01:24 pm
@seac,
Peoples bodies differ. You seem to be a lucky one. I am too, so far, except for my eyes (there are complete threads on my eye situations, scary at the time, affecting my whole life, no driving at night or twilight, available jobs for example). Yes, some people are worrywart hypochondriacs and some are wildly misinformed. Social media is somewhat involved as some transferred info is sourced well and some is off base by far. People are generally right to watch their health.
seac

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 03:08 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Getting old does have it's problems. My eye sight is getting poor at night too. I try to get along without wearing my glasses. Some days I can read license plates at 25 yards, some days it is a blur. Blood pressure is my other concern, I have been trying to reduce it naturally, but it remains high at 180/110. I have friends with the same, and they lived with that for over 15 years.
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 03:34 pm
@seac,
I haven't driven in twilight or darker for 28 years, so I get to gripe. Guess how I like that..
and I'm not so sure I should have givin in to that, since I'd had the eye stuff forever and passed many tests.
In retrospect, I slivered into ok.

But, people in general get to consider their health. The problem is that a lot of information is ridiculous, or, more danger, somewhat wrong that sounds good.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 03:52 pm
Garlic and raw onions are both good for the health. Garlic works to lower cholesterol and the onions are good for the respiratory. No idea on oregano and avoid it since it is both a choking hazard and causes digestive tract problems. No worry though since I don't particularly care for it (oregano).
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 05:03 pm
@Sturgis,
I just like them, slurp.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 05:31 pm
@Sturgis,
Crushed garlic with raw honey first thing in the morning. A true wonder food.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 06:06 pm
When I first showed up in New Mexico, I was tested at the facility my friends went to. I had a 180 read and was immediately put on to Lisiopril, which turned out to be a dangerous drug for me as it made me slump/faint. Thence to a cardiogist for quite a drug, mididrine. We, the cardiologist and my regular doc, tapered it. I'm fine without it now, any of it.

These days, my data is fine.

I figure that 180 was a misnomer. I'd never had that before or after. Lot of effort and money from that one reading, and, of course, anxiety.

Get stuff checked more than once.
seac

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 09:37 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I test my blood pressure every day, using that wrist device. I know my readings are not wrong because when I put it on my healthy, skinny sister, she reads 120/75. After a 5 mile walk, my reading goes as low as 140/105, but then goes back up again. There are some non medicinal ways to get blood pressure down temporarily, such as putting the feet in hot water, or drinking lemon juice. Anyway, I sure don't feel bad even with high BP. Still, I am working on bringing it down.
Blickers

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 10:10 pm
@seac,
Drinking herbal tea with hibiscus, (which is in most herbal teas, check the label), has been shown to lower blood pressure somewhat. The higher the pressure, the more hibiscus brings it down.
PubMed Hibiscus
Lola

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2016 10:19 pm
@alchemygear,
Why? Because you are still young. Just wait and you'll find out all about it.
0 Replies

seac

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2016 12:27 am
@Blickers,
Herbal tea with hibiscus, will try that. I have a hibiscus tree in my yard. As my last words here, everyone should keep a check on their blood pressure. When it passes a certain point, it will be very difficult to bring it back to normal. I have seen what some blood pressure medication does, it raises the heart beat rate to a scary point while you are trying to relax. Happened to my mother.
0 Replies

sherry2013

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2016 11:22 pm
@alchemygear,
Do you often do sports or some physical work?
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2016 09:34 am
@seac,
I check mine every day, even though it's been just fine for at least a year, because I don't want to miss it if it starts to run high for some reason. Back when I was on those meds, I'd never feel odd when it was high. Midodrine did that, it rocks the numbers back and forth, sometimes moderately high, often not; hard to explain, but if the pressure gets too low, which was the problem with lisinopril, midodrine will raise the pressure..). I could tell when the pressure got too low with the meds - I would get an odd feeling in my neck - the carotid, I assume. I only fainted with the lisinopril though, even if I got the neck feeling a few times with the midodrine too. By that time, I'd learned to hydrate immediately if I got that feeling.

While I still take the pressure, to be careful, it's nice to have it both stable and normal.

I was chubbier when I moved here to New Mexico and had that first poor reading, and gradually lost weight, now am not in the overweight range, and the weight is stable. Whether being in the overweight range back then, ten years ago, had anything to do with that one-time 180, I don't know, as I didn't get high numbers in doctors' offices in my last home area either.

Huh, that was something like nine years of pills I might not have needed; probably did for some of the years, at least when I was chubby, but that was relatively long ago. Glad my regular doc here suggested I taper off the midodrine, and it worked, she was right.
0 Replies

JahMoris

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2016 01:00 am
@MontereyJack,
maybe you're not even human , haha LOL
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 03:31:08